The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dice-K just gave up 7 runs in 5 innings to the Mariners and now has an ERA well over 5. How do you say "stop sucking" in Japanese?

Don't feel bad - the Mariners pitcher sucked just as bad! This is one long-ass game.

Edit: Damn you, Manny Ramirez!!! :mad:

Last edited:
Shocking news...

Pavano suffers another setback for injury-ravaged Yankees

ARLINGTON, TEXAS (TICKER) -- The New York Yankees' rotation will be getting a boost soon. But not from Carl Pavano.

Pavano had a bullpen session cut short Wednesday after throwing for less than 10 minutes. The oft-injured righthander said he will consult Dr. James Andrews about his injured right forearm.

Pavano was placed on the 15-day disabled list with tightness in his right elbow on April 15, and it is not known when he will return.

"The setback was disappointing, but to me he was more disappointed than anybody because we don't count our chickens," Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "The fact that he had to be shut down because of how he felt ... I know he is frustrated.

"He doesn't know what his next move is. Dr. Andrews may help him along those lines. We don't know when he is going to throw again. You certainly need to find out how to help him along in this area. I don't know what the answer is right now."

Pavano has been a target of relentless media scrutiny in New York for spending more time on the DL than on the mound since joining the club as a high-priced free agent prior to the 2005 season.

The righthander had not pitched in nearly two years with a myriad of ailments before making a return as the Yankees' Opening Day starter on April 2. He is 1-0 with a 4.76 ERA in two starts this campaign.

But teammate Mike Mussina, who was placed on the DL the same day, is scheduled to make his return Thursday at Texas. He left his second start on April 11 after just two innings with a strained left hamstring and has not made a start since.

New York, which has been ravaged by injuries all season, has started the season a disappointing 10-14. As a result, Torre and general manager Brian Cashman have been on the hot seat.

But strength and conditioning coach Marty Miller - not Cashman and Torre - took the blame. Miller was fired Wednesday after highly-touted prospect Phil Hughes pulled up lame with a left hamstring injury Tuesday - the staff's fourth hamstring pull of the campaign.

Chien-Ming Wang also started the season on the disabled list with a hamstring injury before being activated last month.

So this Mariners-Yankees game is, um, interesting.

Is this what the Yankees look like when they implode?

It's kind of a shame - it was an exciting game for a while, until that 30-minute inning. But hey, I'm glad we're on the winning end of the stick.

MrPryck, Joe Torre just called. He wants you to warm up.

You could bring back Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Mickey Mantle in their primes and add them to the Yankee lineup and they still wouldn't win the WS with that pitching staff.

1178306309.jpg

5-0, 1.37 era, 1.07 WHIP

11-2 since last year's all-star break, including a 1-0 record with a 2.63 ERA in 3 post-season starts.

where's kris benson now?

Hewson said:
You could bring back Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Mickey Mantle in their primes and add them to the Yankee lineup and they still wouldn't win the WS with that pitching staff.

At this point, I think you'd put Ruth in to pitch. Wang looked good today, but it won't be enough.

But at least he followed what he said earlier and went to the team with the best shot at winning the WS and not for largest sum of money.

(If $28 Mil prorated is accurate, its 2.6 times Cy Young winner to be Gil Meche money)

Headache in a Suitcase said:
4.5 million per month, pro-rated 28 million per year.

unbelievable... that's double gil meche money

eh its only half a posting fee, pretty good deal

My Dad called me on my cell phone to tell me Clemens had signed. I'm sitting at Wrigley watching the game and he calls me all psyched. Someone with me, who shall remain nameless, knew about the signing but neglected to mention it to me. Anyway, I'm glad he's in the fold, they need the help. Headache, Igawa pisses me off about as much as ed Whitson used to back in the day.

phanan said:
Too bad your prediction of Clemens didn't turn out as well as Papelbon.
Had the Yanks not started so bad, I think he'd have been in Boston...his agent was at Fenway negotiating when Cshman called last week.
The Sox were gonna probably go for about 18 mil prorated...the Yanks blew that out of the water. Desperate times call for despaerate measures.

Plus Rog has always wanted to pitch alongside Carl Pavano.

Chizip said:

eh its only half a posting fee, pretty good deal
Yeah but at least with the posting fee you get the guy for at least 5 years, which could end up putting Igawa into Pavano-esque cult status in the Bronx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom