The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrPryck2U said:
I'm no fan of Bonds. Matter of fact, most of the things he says are pretty darn foolish. But, the guy's been in the league for 22 seasons, so at 42 or whatever, his body might be legit breaking down due to his time in the league and his age. Does it look like he juiced a few years ago? Yes. Has MLB caught him for being on the juice? No. So, until he's proven guilty, treat this accomplishment as legit. For a good portion of Hank Aaron's career, he played a 162 game schedule. Does that mean we put an asterisk next to his home run total because The Babe hit his home runs with a shorter game schedule? No. Every era has its intangibles. When Babe played, the ballparks were smaller, he didn't play against black players and the pitching wasn't exactly the greatest.

I could care less about the sanctity of the game's all-time records and all that other nonsense.

I just think it's abundantly clear that Bonds used steroids. That is all.

glavine_tom0718.jpg

That, plus Detroit not being able to pitch due to injuries and suckitude.

Detroit failing means more chances for the Mariners to get into that wild card top spot.

Too bad the Yankees decided to start playing well and are neck-and-neck with them now. :mad:

phanan said:
Is it a holiday in Canada today? Strange that the Yankees and Blue Jays are playing an afternoon game...

Yup, most provinces have a holiday on the first Monday of August except Newfoundland, we have it on the first Wednesday.

MrPryck2U said:
What's the holiday?

Each province is different. I think we just needed a holiday in August so we made up one. British Columbia has BC day while in Newfoundland, we have Regatta day, although Regatta day has been around for 189 years.

Here is a list of the provincial holidays in Canada

Ontario
Civic Holiday [first Monday of August]

Quebec
National Day [June 24]

Nova Scotia
Natal Day [first Monday of August, except in Halifax where it varies from year to year, usually August or July]

New Brunswick
New Brunswick Day [first Monday of August]

Manitoba

British Columbia
British Columbia Day [first Monday of August]

Prince Edward Island
Natal Day [by proclamation, usually on first Monday of August]

Saskatchewan
Family Day [third Monday of February]

Alberta
Alberta Family Day [third Monday of February]
Heritage Day [first Monday of August]

Newfoundland
Celebrated on nearest Monday:
St. Patrick's Day [March 17]
St. George's Day [April 23]
Discovery Day [June 24]
Memorial Day [July 1]
Orangemen's Day [July 12]
Regatta Day / Civic Holiday [fixed by municipal council orders]

Northwest Territories
National Aboriginal Day [June 21]

Yukon
Discovery Day [third Monday of August]

These aren't necessarily paid days off, just a day off in work in the middle of summer.

Thanks for the info! Toronto used to be one of the hottest baseball cities, but after the 1994 strike a lot of fans gave up on baseball. At yesterday's game, The Dome attracted over 42,000 fans thanks to the holiday.
I was one of those people that was sad to see the Expos leave Montreal. If the Expos had gotten a new stadium, they would've stayed in Montreal. Oh well.

Meanwhile, the BoSox better clean their rearview mirror because the Yanks are inching closer.

Lindsay Lohan Drunk Driving Awareness Night at Grayson Stadium as the Sand Gnats will take on the Greensboro Grasshoppers at 7:05 p.m. in the finale of a four-game series. It will be a Thirsty Thursday with half-priced beer and coke. Hook Towing will have a wrecked car from a drunk driving accident on display on the plaza in front of the main gate. Savannah Highway Enforcement of Aggressive Traffic (HEAT) will also be at the game with its blood alcohol testing van.

MrPryck2U said:
Meanwhile, the BoSox better clean their rearview mirror because the Yanks are inching closer.

The schedule for the Red Sox eases once they are done with the Angels, while for the Yankees, it gets a bit harder. I still don't believe New York will catch Boston.

The wild card, however, is a different story altogether.

phanan said:
The U.S. needs to have a holiday in August like Canada does. Kind of a state by state thing or something.

Rhode Island has VJ day in August. That was a quality random day off in the summer when I worked in RI.

MrPryck2U said:
Thanks for the info! Toronto used to be one of the hottest baseball cities, but after the 1994 strike a lot of fans gave up on baseball. At yesterday's game, The Dome attracted over 42,000 fans thanks to the holiday.
I was one of those people that was sad to see the Expos leave Montreal. If the Expos had gotten a new stadium, they would've stayed in Montreal. Oh well.

:sad:

1994 was a great year up until August 12. We were 6 games up on the Braves at that point. What a great team that was. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom