The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, Wily Mo. Erik Bedard loads the bases with 2 BBs and a HBP, and you strike out on four pitches out of the zone.

speedracer said:

Despite the 4-0 record and the shutout, he was basically a junkball pitcher who issued a few too many walks and occasionally left his fastball over the plate. Boston managed to trade him while his stock was high.

plus he was most likely out of a job when Schilling comes back. Good move by Theo selling high.

The rumors of David Ortiz's death have been greatly exaggerated.

randhail said:

Hmmm, he could be a good one to break out or the legendary Luis Rivera. :wink:

It's fun (in a sad sad way) to look back at how many veteran bums/prospects that didn't pan out/guys that had no business being in the majors filled the Red Sox roster of the early-mid 90s.
Anyone heard from Carlos Quintana lately?

Wow. JJ Putz finally blew a save. :ohmy:

I suppose he was due, but I'm awfully sorry he pitched a homer to the Angels that tied the game with 2 outs in the 9th.

Couldn't have picked a better time to blow a save, JJ?

:grumpy:

zonelistener said:
Cubs fans LOVE the Phils bullpen! :D

:banghead:

My I say that Ryan Howard has to be the worst fielding first basemen ever?

Watching him run down that high pop down the right field line and forget to turn around ... Agh.

phanan said:
Um, this is actually kind of funny.

Lord help me.

I remember they were actually showing one of the couples during a game, and Jerry Remy was commenting -- it was hilarious. He was hammering the guy, saying he was nervous and trying way too hard, etc.

They included the comments with Jerry Remy with each date. It added to the humor.

The best part was the last girl. She told the guy she was a Yankees fan.

The look on the guy's face was priceless.

No doubt the contraversy surrounding Bonds will always linger, however, assuming that he did use steroids, do you think that he would have stopped by now? If he has, don't you think that his homeruns would have declined substantially?

That's what happend to McGwuire.

Lally1011 said:
No doubt the contraversy surrounding Bonds will always linger, however, assuming that he did use steroids, do you think that he would have stopped by now? If he has, don't you think that his homeruns would have declined substantially?

That's what happend to McGwuire.

His HR numbers have regressed to seemingly normal levels.

Take a look at Bonds's career stats, and compare 2006-2007 to his time in Pittsburgh.

The way his body has broken down dramatically over the last couple years is also evidence that he had overgrown his body.

Of course, there's also the BALCO grand jury evidence.

Whether Bonds should be snubbed/punished/etc. for steroid use is a separate question, as is the question of whether steroid use should be legal under federal law and/or baseball law, but I think it's beyond a reasonable doubt that he was on the juice in 2001.

Last edited:
speedracer said:
The way his body has broken down dramatically over the last couple years is also evidence that he had overgrown his body.

the problem of course is that his body has also broken down the way any normal 43 year old who's played for as long as he has could expect their body to break down...

of course i think bonds took steroids for at least a season or two, the thing is... i don't care.

baseball and cheating have gone hand in hand since the 1900s. if you're going to put an asterisk next to barry bonds, then you have to put one next to willie mays for his use of amphedamines.

I'm no fan of Bonds. Matter of fact, most of the things he says are pretty darn foolish. But, the guy's been in the league for 22 seasons, so at 42 or whatever, his body might be legit breaking down due to his time in the league and his age. Does it look like he juiced a few years ago? Yes. Has MLB caught him for being on the juice? No. So, until he's proven guilty, treat this accomplishment as legit. For a good portion of Hank Aaron's career, he played a 162 game schedule. Does that mean we put an asterisk next to his home run total because The Babe hit his home runs with a shorter game schedule? No. Every era has its intangibles. When Babe played, the ballparks were smaller, he didn't play against black players and the pitching wasn't exactly the greatest.

My guess is that this is the last season we'll see Bonds play. The only thing left for him to do is win a championship and I don't think he'll land on a team with a chance at winning one. So get a good look at Barry, because this is his farewell tour.

I wouldn't be shocked if Bonds came back for one more season to try to reach 800.

That would probably depend on how he does these last two months first. If he hits another 10-15 home runs before the end of the season, I could see him coming back.

mlb_g_glavine3_412.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom