The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Jermaine Dye might be going to Boston in exchange for Wily Mo Pena and a minor leaguer who isn't one of the top prospects.

Even if Dye is only in Boston for the rest of the season, this isn't that bad of a deal...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/07/dye_chances_pre.html

If the Sox are seriously going to give up Manny Delcarmen, I think it's a horrible deal. Yeah Dye had a great 2005 season, but his lifetime numbers are ,274/.337/.484, and he's 33 years old. The guy's trade value is inflated from his championship season. Isn't this the sort of trade the Yankees are supposed to make?

I know JD Drew has been a black hole offensively this year, but it's not worth giving up a guy who's going to be a bullpen workhorse for the next 6+ years (Mike Timlin is going to retire someday).

I had no idea who Justin Masterson was until I looked him up, but I'm not too keen on giving him up either.

EDIT: Seems like the Red Sox have declared MDC (and Masterson) off-limits. Whew.

Last edited:
The Braves got Teixeira.

This wouldn't worry me if Utley wasn't out for another 2.5 weeks.

speedracer said:
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/07/dye_chances_pre.html

If the Sox are seriously going to give up Manny Delcarmen, I think it's a horrible deal. Yeah Dye had a great 2005 season, but his lifetime numbers are ,274/.337/.484, and he's 33 years old. The guy's trade value is inflated from his championship season. Isn't this the sort of trade the Yankees are supposed to make?

I know JD Drew has been a black hole offensively this year, but it's not worth giving up a guy who's going to be a bullpen workhorse for the next 6+ years (Mike Timlin is going to retire someday).

I had no idea who Justin Masterson was until I looked him up, but I'm not too keen on giving him up either.

EDIT: Seems like the Red Sox have declared MDC (and Masterson) off-limits. Whew.

If it's Pena and Masterson, I'd be ok with the deal. Dye could really help for the remainder of the season.

No way you give up Delcarmen, though.

speedracer said:

You're not the only one who was clueless about him.

It seems like the Red Sox farm system is full of "untouchables." That bodes well for the future as long as half of them pan out and don't pull a Phil Plantier. :wink:

Oh dear.

Victorino AND Bourn left the game with leg injuries tonight.

They're dropping like flies in Philly.

phillyfan26 said:
Oh dear.

Victorino AND Bourn left the game with leg injuries tonight.

They're dropping like flies in Philly.

That Bourn injury lookeed u-u-u-ugly...but they said sprain so that's a relief. But losing Victorino on top of Utley hurts.

Is there any consideration of stretching Myers out to start again, or is it just add Lohse and hope that's enough?

Hewson said:
Wow thats a name I hadn't heard in a long time.

Man I used to love watching Phil Plantier hit out of that crouch, great stuff...

I dunno about this Dye deal. I like the idea of bringing him in, not just to platoon with Drew but he gives you Papi insurance. I'm not wild about losing Delcarmen but if they brought Gagne in that would offset it a little...what I'm thinking is it gets down to 3:55 or so and the ChiSox accept a bit less, like Wily Mo + Hansen or Big Edgar Martinez or something. The Dodgers are focused on pitching and supposedly the Angels have backed off...actually I read somewhere that Boston had the best offer on the table for both Gagne & Dye, we'll see...

CTU2fan said:

That Bourn injury lookeed u-u-u-ugly...but they said sprain so that's a relief. But losing Victorino on top of Utley hurts.

Is there any consideration of stretching Myers out to start again, or is it just add Lohse and hope that's enough?

The fans and media are rumbling about it, but I haven't heard anything from the Phillies organization.

If they actually get a reliever before the deadline, then I could see it, but if not, Myers is their best closer option.

I have not heard a word about the Yanks making any sort of deal. Not that I'm wanting them to, but, wow, what a surprise if they do not do something, seeing as how the Wild Card is not too far out of reach. I'd be thrilled if they simply announced that their only deadline move was to assassinate Farnsworth.

Yanks are supposed to be in on Gagne, and would deal Proctor to LAD for Wilson Betemit. I like Betemit, his average is poor but he gets on base and hits for power, and plays a bunch of positions.

Re: the Phillies & Myers, agreed he's their best closing option but if they could acquire somebody like Gagne or maybe Chad Cordero as a closing option then he (Myers) would really boost that rotation...but if not he has to keep closing given Gordon's risky health and Mesa not being trustworthy enough.

I don't trust the Phillies to make any moves. Since the end of last season, Pat Gillick's been whining about how theirs no options for them on the market.

Joe Torre had completely Quantrilled out Scott Proctor by the end of May. Who knows if he'll be able to contribue for the rest of the year in LA.

As for Wilson Betemit, are the Yankees

- planning to use Betemit at 1B?

- concerned that Alex Rodriguez is opting out of his contract after this year and planning to replace him with Betemit at 3B?

- trying to push Rodriguez out the door?

- trying to keep Rodriguez by bluffing a willingness to replace him with Betemit, thus convincing Rodriguez to keep his current contract?

Red Sox have deal in place for Gagne

TSN.ca Staff with files
7/31/2007 3:08:23 PM

Various reports indicate that the Boston Red Sox have reached a deal to acquire right-hander Eric Gagne from the Texas Rangers.

The Montreal native has a no-trade clause and must waive it for the deal could be completed.

Gagne is 2-0 this season with a 2.16 ERA and 16 saves for the Texas Rangers.

Prior to this season, the 2003 NL Cy Young Award winner has pitched only 15 1-3 innings over the past two seasons.

Gagne had elbow surgery in June 2005, then another operation in April of 2006 to remove a nerve from his pitching elbow. He had surgery last July to repair a herniated disk in his lower back.

Gagne had 152 saves with the Los Angeles Dodgers from 2002-04, including all 55 chances in 2003, when he had a 1.20 ERA and won the Cy Young. He converted a major-league record 84 consecutive saves from August 2002 to July 2004.

Gagne started 2005 on the DL, and last year he went to the DL without pitching a game less than a week after starting the season on the Dodgers roster.

After Los Angeles didn't exercise Gagne's $12 million option for 2007, the Rangers gave him a $6 million, one-year deal with the chance to make $5 more in performance bonuses.

Phillies deal for reliever Mateo
By Todd Zolecki
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

CHICAGO – The Phillies today acquired righthanded relief pitcher Julio Mateo from the Seattle Mariners for double-A Reading infielder Jesus Merchan.

Mateo is expected to join triple-A Ottawa and be there in case the Phillies need more depth in the bullpen.

Mateo is 18-12 with a 3.68 ERA in parts of six seasons with the Mariners. He opened this season with the Mariners and went 1-0 with a 3.75 ERA in nine appearances before Seattle suspended him in May for 10 games without pay after a domestic dispute with his wife. According the Associated Press, Mateo's wife needed five stitches after the incident in a Manhattan hotel.

The Mariners sent him to triple-A Tacoma after that, where he is 3-1 with a 0.79 ERA and 12 saves. Opponents have hit just .200 against him.

Merchan hit .330 with seven home runs and 44 RBIs in 81 games for Reading.

I remember something about violence with Phillies relievers. Ugueth Urbina, anyone?

Thanks Pat Gillick.

phanan said:
Apparently the Red Sox are giving up Kason Gabbard, along with two minor leaguers, for Gagne

:hyper:

I can't believe I actually like moves the Rangers made. Five prospects for Teixeira, one for Lofton, and three for Gagne. Pretty good ones, to boot.

Maybe I have something to look forward to in the next ten years after all.

phanan said:
Apparently the Red Sox are giving up Kason Gabbard, along with two minor leaguers, for Gagne.

I can't believe they included Gabbard. I hope it's wrong.

I'm ok with them giving up Gabbard. He's looked so far, but with a small sample size. He probably would've turned into the new version of Bronson Arroyo or if he falls apart the new version of Vaughn Eschelman. It's pretty clear that they want to win this year, but at the same time didn't give away everyone to do so. I am happy they didn't get Dye too. He would've cost way too much. We'll see how it pans out, but I like it right now.

You're probably right, and with so many other pitching prospects in the organization, it's probably a move they can afford.

Oh, and Vaughn Eschelman? Yesterday Phil Plantier, today Eschelman. Who's next? Tim Naehring?

:wink:

I hope Gagne lasts the season, I'm a Red Sox fan. But isn't he a huge injury risk at this point?

phanan said:
You're probably right, and with so many other pitching prospects in the organization, it's probably a move they can afford.

Oh, and Vaughn Eschelman? Yesterday Phil Plantier, today Eschelman. Who's next? Tim Naehring?

:wink:

Hmmm, he could be a good one to break out or the legendary Luis Rivera. :wink:

It's fun (in a sad sad way) to look back at how many veteran bums/prospects that didn't pan out/guys that had no business being in the majors filled the Red Sox roster of the early-mid 90s.

Bluer White said:
I hope Gagne lasts the season, I'm a Red Sox fan. But isn't he a huge injury risk at this point?

He's been mostly healthy this season and he's most likely gone at the end of season anyways. I can't see him wanting to stick around as a setup guy - he'll still want closer money. The only way he comes back is if Papelbon gets penciled into the rotation, but we know how that story usually ends.

For any Phil Plantier fans out there, I've got a stack of rookie cards that I'd be willing to sell. They were supposed to be my ticket to living the good life. :mad: :wink:

only a few more posts to go and we break the record before Barry does! We could only have a couple hours left. Lets make it happen!

randhail said:

I'm ok with them giving up Gabbard. He's looked so far, but with a small sample size. He probably would've turned into the new version of Bronson Arroyo or if he falls apart the new version of Vaughn Eschelman. It's pretty clear that they want to win this year, but at the same time didn't give away everyone to do so. I am happy they didn't get Dye too. He would've cost way too much. We'll see how it pans out, but I like it right now.

Despite the 4-0 record and the shutout, he was basically a junkball pitcher who issued a few too many walks and occasionally left his fastball over the plate. Boston managed to trade him while his stock was high.

randhail said:

He's been mostly healthy this season and he's most likely gone at the end of season anyways. I can't see him wanting to stick around as a setup guy - he'll still want closer money. The only way he comes back is if Papelbon gets penciled into the rotation, but we know how that story usually ends.

Speaking of which, Brendan Donnelly is out for the year.

Apparently Theo Epstein kept mum about it so that they didn't have to sell the farm for Gagne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom