The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:

Aren't you one of them?

Or are you a Yanks fan this week?

Ok, maybe I should've said this:

Hey baseball fans, Rickey Henderson is now the new hitting coach of the New York Mets.

'Zat better?

So this is interesting news. How many Cubs fans would like to see this?

Report: Cuban submits application, joins crowded field of Cubs' suitors

Fans of the Windy City's lovable losers can count a maverick NBA owner among those interested in purchasing the Chicago Cubs.

The Chicago Tribune reports that Mark Cuban says that he has submitted his application to Major League Baseball to purchase the Cubs. Cuban, who has owned the NBA's Dallas Mavericks since January of 2000 and is known for his free-spending ways, told the newspaper he sent the paperwork in last week.

Cuban's efforts to enter the already crowded field to purchase the team is being met with some speculation. The Tribune summed up Cuban's efforts to buy the team in its Thursday edition as follows: "And while Internet billionaire Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks, has expressed interest, most observers think Major League Baseball would balk at a potential owner as unpredictable and outspoken as Cuban."

When e-mailed by the Tribune to respond to the sentence, Cuban replied via e-mail: "I never comment on 'most observers' reports. It's like responding to a random blog post, a waste of time."

The Tribune Co. announced it would sell the team at season's end in April, after the ailing media conglomerate announced its acquisition by billionaire investor Sam Zell. It put one of sports' most storied and star-crossed franchises on the block, a year shy of the 100th anniversary of its last World Series title.

Zell, a real estate magnate who already owns part of his hometown Bulls and White Sox, did not comment about why he's not interested in keeping the Cubs in connection with the $8.2 billion deal. The team is one of Tribune's richest assets.

Cuban faces some stiff competition among suitors for the Cubs. The Tribune reported Thursday that the Ricketts family, which founded discount broker TD Ameritrade Holding Corp., has joined the list of potential bidders.

Sources close to the situation said the Ricketts family is readying their application MLB requires for all parties wishing to bid on a franchise. The group is led by Thomas Ricketts, 41, who is the founder and chief executive of the Chicago-based investment firm, Incapital Holdings LLC.

Thomas Ricketts is the son of J. Joe Ricketts, an Omaha billionaire who founded Ameritrade. Forbes Magazine this year estimated the Ricketts' family worth is $2.3 billion.

The Tribune reports other bidders include John Canning, who heads the Chicago-based private-equity firm Madison Dearborn Partners and is a part-owner of the Milwaukee Brewers. Additionally, a partnership of restaurateur Larry Levy and Chicago business owner Craig Duchossois is also thought to be interested in entering the fray.

Don Levin, who owns the Chicago Wolves minor league hockey team has said he is interested in bidding for the team, as is a partnership of Chicago attorney Thomas Mandler and area businessman Jim Anixter. A group led by industrialist and private-equity investor Thomas Begel may also try bidding on the Cubs, the newspaper reports.

Bidding for the ballclub and historic Wrigley Field, however, is certain to be fiercely competitive. Analysts have estimated the Cubs could fetch $600 million or more, a far cry from the $20.5 million Tribune paid in 1981.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Got Philk? said:
Well, first day back we gain a game on the Brew Crew. Anyone think I'm crazy that the Cubbies can win the division?

Speaking of the Brewers, I get to see them play the Giants when I'm in Milwaukee next week. My dad told me Barry Bonds doesn't play day games often, much less on the road, but since he's so close to the record*, do you think he'd play?

Who cares about that - you get to see the sausage race! And polka to "Roll Out the Barrel" during the 7th inning stretch! And if a Brewer hits a homer, you get to see Bernie Brewer slide down into a big mug of beer!

:hyper:

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - If Alex Rodriguez isn’t interested in talking contract with the New York Yankees until after the season, and the Yankees won't deal with him if he opts out of his contract, the Boston Red Sox could end up as the big winner — in the race for A-Rod.....

..... Boston would be able to afford a six- to eight-year contract would between $180 million and $240 million. Red Sox team president Larry Lucchino would be more than willing to pay that price, especially since Boston just missed acquiring Rodriguez in 2003 when a trade with the Texas Rangers fell through because the players' union rejected it.

"Lucchino has never stopped wanting him," a source told the paper.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19716021/

Here's hoping this only stays a nasty rumor without any truth to it.

corianderstem said:
Who cares about that - you get to see the sausage race! And polka to "Roll Out the Barrel" during the 7th inning stretch! And if a Brewer hits a homer, you get to see Bernie Brewer slide down into a big mug of beer!

:drool:

Bob Uecker does the play-by-play for the radio, right?

I guess Monty went out on his own.

That's probably one of my favorite childhood memories - hearing Bob Uecker on the radio during Brewer games on my mom's radio in the summer. :heart:

I think he's still doing them, but I'm not 100% sure.

lame-o family friendly ball park

corianderstem said:

They took away Bernie's beer barrel. :sad: They thought it was bad for their image. :( Miller Park is like a family amusement park now. :sigh: :sad: I

Really? That's pathetic.

Do they still let you tailgate in the parking lot and bake in the hot sun and blacktop as you get schnockered?

I went to a game last year and there still was some tailgating. Not like when I was a kid though.

How can they think that would be bad for their image when they are called the Brewers?? Next thing you know, they'll think they have to change their name. :tsk:

Got Philk? said:
Well, first day back we gain a game on the Brew Crew. Anyone think I'm crazy that the Cubbies can win the division?
The Cubs are defintely in striking distance and playing well.
So I think it'll end up a close race.
If Sheets is hurt again (so far doesn't sound super serious), the Mil is in trouble.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Speaking of the Brewers, I get to see them play the Giants when I'm in Milwaukee next week. My dad told me Barry Bonds doesn't play day games often, much less on the road, but since he's so close to the record*, do you think he'd play?
If he's close to the record* count on him sitting out, he will break it in SF, not Milwaukee, not LA, not anyplace else.

Wish they could have pulled it off when I was there on Friday

Congrats Phillies!

phils0715_10000_230x.jpg

i always find it peculiar when a batting coach played zero games in the majors (Rick Down)

i always find it peculiar when a batting coach had a mediocre at best batting average when he played in the majors (Hojo)

what can Hojo w/ his career .249 avg, help someone like Wright or Reyes?

However, Ricky Henderson as 1B coach, that's great move....he can show the players tons of things about reading the pitcher and foot work etc

Numb1075 said:
i always find it peculiar when a batting coach played zero games in the majors (Rick Down)

i always find it peculiar when a batting coach had a mediocre at best batting average when he played in the majors (Hojo)

However, Ricky Henderson as 1B coach, that's great move....he can show the players tons of things about reading the pitcher and foot work etc

I see what your saying and agree with you about Rickey. However, just because a coach didn't have as much success playing doesn't mean he won't be successful as a coach. Sometimes the bench or role player can be a successful coach. Take Bobby Valentine. I thought he did an amazing job in 1999 and 2000 getting the Mets as far with an outfield of Agbayani, Timo Perez and Jay Payton.

You know, I like Willie, but I miss Bobby V. sometimes. WIllie gets second guessed a good bit and some of it is deserved. The Mets did win their division and I am not one of those fans clamoring for Willies head despite the teams recent struggles in June and early July, I just think he hasn't always made the right moves.....but then again, I'm some smuck sitting at home watching the game on my couch with 4-5 beers in me when that happens.

Also, surprised we haven't seen any trades in MLB yet. I knew alot hinged on Buehrle getting dealt. With the Mets hopefully getting Alou and Pedro back will be like making a trade.

Numb1075 said:

Charlie Manuel's Career Batting Average: .198

I just plain sucked at both playing and coaching!

There are a TON of great coaches out there that were lousy players. The two do not go hand-in-hand.

Cubbies.jpg

Come from behind in 8th today...we're for real..at least until the typical Aug swoon comes along.

i just find it odd, that's all.

If I were a current major leaguer, I would listen a lot more closely to my batting coach if he were Rod Carew or Tony Gwynn, then say Hojo.

Quick, get Omar on the phone and call up Ty Cobb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom