The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phanan said:
Dice-K is 10-5 with a 3.53 ERA at the halfway point.

Looks like he's turning out to be worth every penny.
He's been dominant his last few starts.
Granted he's no Kei Igawa, but we'll take him here.

Hewson said:
He's been dominant his last few starts.
Granted he's no Kei Igawa, but we'll take him here.

Man, you can't even help it, it's like a reflex action with you. :) I don't think anyone projected Igawa to be anything but a 4th or 5th starter, and even that prediction was obviously way off. At least Irabu hads some ups with his downs, this dude is horrid.

Your boy Lugo finally had a good game.

Yankee bullpen might not be as bad as Sox/Phils pen, but it's pretty close.

No spoken words said:

Man, you can't even help it, it's like a reflex action with you. :) I don't think anyone projected Igawa to be anything but a 4th or 5th starter, and even that prediction was obviously way off. At least Irabu hads some ups with his downs, this dude is horrid.

Yankee bullpen might not be as bad as Sox/Phils pen, but it's pretty close.

I use to love it when Jim Rome would play the tape of Harry Carey trying to pronounce Irabu's name. :wink: :lol:

No spoken words said:

And right back to being Juliofer3 Lugofer3 today.
That may be a worse signing than Igawa, nearly $9mil a year for Lugofer. Why the Red Sox didn't just stick with Cabrera after '04 is puzzling. SS had been a revolving door since, plus they traded away Hanley Ramirez in the interim (worth doing to get Beckett), but the SS situation has been comical here for the past 3 seasons.

Hewson said:
That may be a worse signing than Igawa, nearly $9mil a year for Lugofer. Why the Red Sox didn't just stick with Cabrera after '04 is puzzling. SS had been a revolving door since, plus they traded away Hanley Ramirez in the interim (worth doing to get Beckett), but the SS situation has been comical here for the past 3 seasons.

Sorry about that piece of crap Lugo the Sox signed, Hewson.

But big thumbs up for getting him and JD 'I'm through' Drew out of LA. :wink:

I'd love to go to a baseball game right now. I wish the Ms were in town tonight. Perfect day for a game.

BonosLil'Pal94 said:

Sorry about that piece of crap Lugo the Sox signed, Hewson.

My daughter agrees with me, but she would never have used the term 'piece of crap'. :wink:

My bad Lil' Pal

Just got back from the Blue Sox game vs. Atlanta + postgame fireworks tonight. In case anybody was wondering, Grady Little has not lost his knack for blowing tight games:

-- Top of the 5th, Mark Hendrickson puts men on 2nd and 3rd with 2 out. Grady opts to pitch to Chipper Jones instead of walking him and pitching to The Artist Formerly Known As Andruw Jones. Chipper hits a 2-run single, and TAFKAAJ whiffs to end the inning.

-- Bottom of the 5th, leadoff man hits a double, Hendrickson's spot comes up. Hendrickson has only thrown 77 pitches. Instead of letting him bunt the man over to third, Grady decides Hendrickson is toast (obviously, since he just coughed up 2 runs in the top of the inning) and puts in Luis Gonzalez. Not a horrible move in and of itself, but Hendrickson is probably good for another inning and you can just have him bunt the runner over to third. Naturally, Gonzo pops out to second.

-- Top of the 6th, hoping to avoid using Rudy Seanez for a third consecutive night (yes, Boston fans, Rudy Seanez is apparently the reliable 6th-7th inning man for LA), Grady puts in Brett "the human gas can" Tomko. Tomko spits up 3 hits and a run, forcing Grady to put Seanez in with the bases loaded and 1 out (the guy on 3rd ends up scoring on a sac fly).

Hewson said:

Heck, I think the Sox would be happy just to have Alex Gonzalez back.

The worst decision was indeed Cabrera. He was a great spark during the second half of 2004, and the team loved him. They should have just paid him at the time (which now seems like a steal) and they would've been in great shape these last few years.

Probably the one position Epstein has screwed up the most on.

BonosLil'Pal94 said:

While Lugo has been horrendous, Drew is starting to show signs of getting it together. His average has gone up something like 30 points over the last month, and his walks are going up. If he stays healthy (yes, I know that's a big if), he should have a really good second half.

As for Lugo, well - let's just say it's too bad Ellsbury doesn't play shortstop instead of centerfield.

phanan said:

While Lugo has been horrendous, Drew is starting to show signs of getting it together. His average has gone up something like 30 points over the last month, and his walks are going up. If he stays healthy (yes, I know that's a big if), he should have a really good second half.

As for Lugo, well - let's just say it's too bad Ellsbury doesn't play shortstop instead of centerfield.

Yeah, JD is coming around. And despite his slow start and Lugo being a non-factor, the Sox are still kicking butt. Must be killing Steinbrenner. :wink:

I remember Lugo crapping out last year and still complaining because he wasn't playing everyday. Bad apple.

Bonochick said:

Threads go until 1,000 replies now before being closed.

Wow that is like the anti-humidor. Bringing in the fences and corking the bats huh?

Well now bonds won't have the record at least!!!

The Tigers are going to be tough to beat in the playoffs. It's going to be some series between the Red Sox and them (yes, I believe they will be the best two AL teams at the end of the year).

phanan said:
The Tigers are going to be tough to beat in the playoffs. It's going to be some series between the Red Sox and them (yes, I believe they will be the best two AL teams at the end of the year).

I like our team, but we clearly have problems at the back of the bullpen.

Also, it worries me that Ordonez is doing the HR Derby. He's always been a streaky hitter and we don't need him messing with that swing.

Guillen and Polanco are always one dive, twist, or lunge away from going on the DL with hamstring or back issues (respectively).

AND the Indians have a pretty balanced team.

I'm not counting any chickens just yet.

Dalton said:

Guy: Hey man, check out that hot chick over at the bar. She's been smiling at me all night! I'm getting lucky tonight!

Friend 1: Dude, I think that's a man.

Friend 2: Yup. Total tranny.

What does that have to do with threads staying open until 1,000 replies now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom