The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
whatever happened to Mr Gen R? the rockies are actually tearing it up now and he is nowhere to be seen.

btw i was looking through some old threads, and in feb of 2006 headache posted this as a joke:

"so the 2006 world series? rockies vs. tigers... bitches. "

the tigers was a good call :wink:

found him...

rockiesbrooms.jpg

WildHoneyAlways said:
I'm leaving for MN on Sunday. :angry: Enjoy the game and the assclowns. :) (sorry Phil, you know I don't mean you ) Hopefully the Sock don't get swept.

:sad: Go Bears???

I want to chime in on old news. On the Rowand thing. I know Thome has the name and the big bat. Sometimes consistency is bigger than 50 hrs.

I also wanted to bitch about the Cubs again. Why can't they ever listen to me. Way back, we didn't need to sign Jaque Jones...we should have played Matt Murton. This year, we didn't really need to sign Soriano. We should just let Pagan and Pie step in to see what they can do. I'd like to see what these young players can do. And don't tell me Murton showed us he isn't good earlier this year. Consistant playing time would be a better gage on that. But we have to play Soriano and Cliff Floyd too I guess right?

I'm fine with this pitchers we signed. I just hope Pie stays up now and I with Pagan would get a shot. Youth growing together might be what this team needs...but let's just throw money around.

Got Philk? said:

:sad: Go Bears???

I want to chime in on old news. On the Rowand thing. I know Thome has the name and the big bat. Sometimes consistency is bigger than 50 hrs.

Looking at Thome and Rowand in 2006 and so far this season Thome has been more consistent. In fact, he's the only guy on the Sox that has hit somewhat consistently this year. He was the comeback player of the year in 2006! The reason the Sox didn't make it to the post season last year isn't b/c Aaron Rowand wasn't there.

Clemen's coming out of the bullpen??? they must really want to get their money's worth out of him...or realize that the ship is sinking again

The only thing I can say about it is that when he used Pettitte, it was on the day he was schedule to throw, and Pettitte did volunteer...and one of the times, it was after Pettitte had exited a game early.

Still, it's a bad sign right now. Eh, maybe playing Baltimore will be a tonic, we'll see. I'm mentally prepared for no playoffs this year.

Well, the All-Star break is almost here and it's been a wacky season for the Yanks and many other teams in MLB. It seems, of course, that most of the focus has been on the Yanks and their disappointing season. But, I think the biggest joke has got to be the Cubbies. They went and got all of these new faces and they still suck! Next up is the 2006 World Champion Cardinals. I think their season was over by the beginning of May. The Mets started off well, but they haven't played consistently in about a month or so. But, they are over .500 so that's good. The BoSox have been the best team so far this season, but we've got another half of the season to go so stay tuned. Finally, despite the Yanks "bad" season, they are still number 1 in attendance at home AND away. Will the Yanks make the playoffs? I honestly don't know, but anything's possible. All I do know is that a lot of shit has happened to the Yanks this season (too numerous to mention here) that it would be close to a miracle if they make the playoffs.

MrPryck2U said:
But, I think the biggest joke has got to be the Cubbies. They went and got all of these new faces and they still suck!

I hate you...

:wink:

I can tell you that I am not surprised. The pitching was not a bad idea to go get. But it is the same every year. Runners left on base...poor bullpen...

I wish they would just go with the youth. Murton, Pie, perhaps even Pagan in the outfield.

That said, watch out Brew Crew, the 2nd half will be much much better. :banghead:

There was some Rowand discussion earlier, and I must comment on this...

While I enjoy his personality, hustle, and (this season) offensive production, isn't Rowand an exceptionally overrated outfielder? When he came into town we kept hearing "defense, defense, defense" about his name, but he's not any good. He's too slow to be very good. I enjoy the guy, but he was really overrated in defense when he came to town. I'd much rather have the quicker and better-armed Shane Victorino in centerfield than Rowand.

MrPryck2U said:
Well, the All-Star break is almost here and it's been a wacky season for the Yanks and many other teams in MLB. It seems, of course, that most of the focus has been on the Yanks and their disappointing season. But, I think the biggest joke has got to be the Cubbies. They went and got all of these new faces and they still suck!

As of today, the Cubs are 7 games out of the wild card, and the Yankees are 6.5 games behind.

The Cubs are 7.5 back in the NL Central, the Yankees 11.5 in the AL East.

The Yankees payroll is higher than the Cubs.

I think that adds up to being just as bad, if not worse.

Nah, the Cubbies are 4 games under .500, while the Yanks are "only" 1 game under. So it's the Cubbies by a nose. LOL! Either way, both teams aren't doing well. The Yankees will always have the highest payroll so that fact is kind of redundant.

The expectation level for the Yanks was World Series
For the Cubs it was compete in the division.
Yanks are thus far a much bigger joke.

Hewson said:
The expectation level for the Yanks was World Series
For the Cubs it was compete in the division.
Yanks are thus far a much bigger joke.

The Yankees are a huge disappointment (A MUCH bigger disappointment than the Cubs, Mr. Pryck), no doubt, but, this is a team that has made the post-season 12 seasons in a row, so, I don't know how they are now a joke, let alone a big one. Did you think the Red Sox were a joke last season, when they finished 3rd with a huge payroll? I sure didn't. I just thought they finally had a disappointing season, and I knew they'd be back, and they are. I'm not as confident that the Yanks will be "back", as this could be the beginning of the end for them, we'll see.

So, with the Yankee payroll, it's of course expected that they make the playoffs, and if they don't, the season is a failure, but I don't see how they're a joke.

No spoken words said:

The Yankees are a huge disappointment (A MUCH bigger disappointment than the Cubs, Mr. Pryck), no doubt, but, this is a team that has made the post-season 12 seasons in a row, so, I don't know how they are now a joke, let alone a big one. Did you think the Red Sox were a joke last season, when they finished 3rd with a huge payroll? I sure didn't. I just thought they finally had a disappointing season, and I knew they'd be back, and they are. I'm not as confident that the Yanks will be "back", as this could be the beginning of the end for them, we'll see.

So, with the Yankee payroll, it's of course expected that they make the playoffs, and if they don't, the season is a failure, but I don't see how they're a joke.
Joke was Pryck's word.

MrPryck2U said:
Right, I'm sure when Lou signed on he was just hoping to compete in the division. Not!

Which has what to do with the realistic expectations?

The Yankees are a much bigger disappointment. To brush off the high payroll as "redundant" is silly, as it makes a huge difference.

Uhh, the point being that the Yanks will always have the highest payroll and saying so is redundant, you dig? The Yankees operate on a different financial plain then most of MLB with the exception of a handful of teams. When Boss George was pissing away good prospects for washed up free agents back in the 80's, people we singing the same song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom