The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 2 - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2007, 07:10 AM   #211
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:23 PM
All we are saying....

Old 05-21-2007, 11:12 PM   #212
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Wow, 2 strong starts for Yankee pitchers in a row. I don't know how to react.

Boy, the Sox are a great team, and are gonna win the division and all, but, wow, I just could not watch JD Drew play baseball for a whole season. Wait, I did in LA. But that was different, since I'm not a Dodger fan. I just never sense any life or passion from the man. He's like an anti-Varitek.

G-d, the Yanks need a sweep.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:17 PM   #213
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

JD Drew was actually pretty hot for most of April but has since gone ice-cold.

The Yankees have a pretty big edge tomorrow as well (Mussina vs. Krueger); the game the Sox gotta get is on Wednesday, with Schilling vs. Pettitte.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:18 PM   #214
Blue Crack Supplier

Drew can hit, he can play, he puts up good stats when healthy, it's not about his talent. He just seems to be lifeless. I'll shut up.

It's be nice if Mussina went out there and pitched a strong game. Somehow, I don't think that's gonna happen, though. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:21 PM   #215
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:23 PM
Big Grin Sweet memories of the St. Paul Saints

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
I just could not watch JD Drew play baseball for a whole season.
I watched him play a whole year in a Independent Minor League because he did not like who drafted him!

Make that TWO BoSox who pulled an Eli Manning-like move during the baseball draft! (Can you call it an Eli Manning if they did it before Eli?).

As a Twins fan I will always dislike Varitek (he didn't like what the Twins were offering...nevermind not liking the Twins, and returned to college for one more year)!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:30 PM   #216
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I thought baseball players do that all the time, because college baseball players don't lose their eligibility if they are drafted.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:30 PM   #217
Blue Crack Supplier

In my head, it's a John Elway, because the Colts drafted him in 1983 and he refused to play for them.....eventually the Colts traded him to the Broncos for what turned out to be not a hell of a lot. The guy's a hero and a legend, but I'll never forget that.

Neither will U2Kitten, who, I think, at that time, was inventing the monorail. Or was it the hybrid car? I forget.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:32 PM   #218
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
I thought baseball players do that all the time, because college baseball players don't lose their eligibility if they are drafted.
Yeah, it's quite common in baseball.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:34 PM   #219
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin I think drew played the year after Strawberry

Quote:
Yes...but he came out and so "there is no way I am going to play for the Twins (not an actual quote)." He was drafted the next year and then held out and ended up playing for the same team Drew played for.

Drew did NOT have the opportunity to go back to college. He played for the St. Paul Saints for a year.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:51 PM   #220
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I used to reflexively despise players who held out against the teams that drafted them, but I'm not so sure anymore. (Holding out against a team to which you are contractually bound is completely different, imo.)

I agree that from the fans' perspective it stinks, but I'm not sure I can fault a player too much for using whatever leverage he has. I know the draft is used to maintain some semblance of parity in the league, but it does go against free market principles. The best way to prevent a drafted player from holding out is simply to trade the pick or draft someone else.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:56 PM   #221
Blue Crack Supplier

Speedracer, I'd love to debate you on that point, but, it'd take forever and I suspect we'd never agree.

I will say that I definitely view players that signed a deal and holdout in greater contempt than the ones that pull an Eli or an Elway, but I still have issues with the latter situation as well.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:18 AM   #222
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

Taken from the "always correct" source of Wikipedia...

Quote:
1997: Drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies

Drew was the second overall pick in the 1997 Major League Baseball Draft by the Philadelphia Phillies. Drew and his agent Scott Boras elected not to sign with the Phillies, sticking to their guarantee that they would not sign for less than $10 million dollars. The Phillies had no plan to pay an unproven player this amount of money, and despite Boras' warnings, drafted Drew nonetheless. Consequently, Drew ended up playing for the St. Paul Saints of the independent Northern League.
Boras was (is?) Varitek's agent.

I would agree that a player should try to get what they can...but I believe the decision is often driven by the agents, not the player themselves.

A good example: Matt Harrington. It is an interesting read. He tried going the Drew/Varitel route. He is still with the Saints.

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
Neither will U2Kitten, who, I think, at that time, was inventing the monorail. Or was it the hybrid car? I forget.
Steam engine!
Old 05-22-2007, 02:05 AM   #223
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Oh, I agree that players get burned by greedy agents all the time. (And it's not just rookies and early NBA draft entrants -- anybody remember how Nomar's agent parlayed a 4 year/$60M offer from Boston into 3 years/$27M and a move to first base with LA?)
Old 05-22-2007, 07:10 AM   #224
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Sweet memories of the St. Paul Saints

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!

Make that TWO BoSox who pulled an Eli Manning-like move during the baseball draft! (Can you call it an Eli Manning if they did it before Eli?).

Can you call it an Eli Manning if John Elway did it 2 decades prior? (nsw beat me to it but I had to emphasize it)

As mentioned above, it actually happens quite often in baseball.
Lotta players are drafted out of high school, weigh their options and go to college instead then re-enter the draft.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:18 AM   #225
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Oh, I agree that players get burned by greedy agents all the time. (And it's not just rookies and early NBA draft entrants -- anybody remember how Nomar's agent parlayed a 4 year/$60M offer from Boston into 3 years/$27M and a move to first base with LA?)
Actually he originally parlayed it into 1 year, $8mil with the Cubs and Nomar had to prove himself healthy again before getting the "big" deal with LA.