The Super Terrific MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
larussabooked260.jpg

Should we change the name of this thread since we're well past the hot stove season and less than 10 days from the start of the season?

Dear Hewson,

My eternal apologies, and please know that I'll never doubt again.

:)

Can I say in my defense that I would have found it more believable that they'd move him back to close during Spring Training than May? Either way, though, I must admit, I'm surprised.

Let's all raise a glass to Tony Larussa. Why is Tony getting loaded during spring training? Sounds like Tony's got a wee bit of a drinking problem.

MrPryck2U said:
Let's all raise a glass to Tony Larussa. Why is Tony getting loaded during spring training? Sounds like Tony's got a wee bit of a drinking problem.

:rolleyes:

.093 is "loaded"? it was only a few years ago that .10 was the legal limit, you can barely feel a buzz at .093.

i guess everyone that has a couple glasses of wine with dinner has a "drinking problem"

I'm very worried about the Phillies, whose pitching staff didn't even pretend to be decent. I mean, ________ will be rioted against within a month unless we find some bullpen help.

______ could mean...

Ryan Madson
Antonion Alfonseca
Geoff Geary
Tom Gordon
Zack Segovia
Fabio Castro
Jon Lieber

I mean, can ANY of those guys be trusted?

phanan said:
I am curious as to why he couldn't hold so little down. Falling asleep at a traffic light?

well when ya wake up at 5-6 am, work 14-16 hour days, and are 62 years old, you get a little sleepy at midnight.

frankly i think the tiredness was much more dangerous than the alcohol.

MrPryck2U said:

I'm not the manager of the 2006 World Series Champion St. Louis Cardinals.

I think you're exxagerating the standards of him. He apologized, he was barely over the legal limit, yes it was a mistake, but it's certainly not "loaded" and it's not really a big deal.

You should be his publicist. Seriously though, when you're the manager of a MLB franchise, it is a big deal. As the manager of a ballclub (and a respected one like the St. Louis Cardinals) you're held to a higher standard and Tony should've known better. Was he loaded? Probably not with "only" a .093, but he had enough to get himself arrested. Condoning LaRussa's actions by the way, is just plain wrong. Saying shit like "you never had a glass of wine and drove home?" doesn't cut it with me. If I was getting paid a lot of money to be expected to behave, I either wouldn't have drank any wine or had some else drive.

i see you're the morality police now.

the guy made a mistake and i'm sure he regrets it. yes, he should be held to a higher standard as a leader, and he appologized to his team and he probably feels like shit. he'll do his community service and hopefully he's learned from his actions.

he wasn't loaded, and this by no means says he has a drinking problem. having a few drinks and making a mistake does not signify a drinking problem... not being able to control your drinking is when it becomes a problem. if this was a pattern of larussa's you might have a point, but for all intensive purposes it's a one time deal and it's over.

MrPryck2U said:
You should be his publicist. Seriously though, when you're the manager of a MLB franchise, it is a big deal. As the manager of a ballclub (and a respected one like the St. Louis Cardinals) you're held to a higher standard and Tony should've known better. Was he loaded? Probably not with "only" a .093, but he had enough to get himself arrested. Condoning LaRussa's actions by the way, is just plain wrong. Saying shit like "you never had a glass of wine and drove home?" doesn't cut it with me. If I was getting paid a lot of money to be expected to behave, I either wouldn't have drank any wine or had some else drive.

It's not like I'm trying to cut him a break or anything. Yes, he should've known better. You're the one who desribed him as loaded, so I'm glad to see that you've noted it is not. I'm not condoning them in anyway. I'm just saying, he gets arrested, pays the penalty, receives some embarassment, and moves on.

And as Headache said, this means nothing about a drinking problem, as you also stated.

I'm not condoning his actions, I'm saying you are overreacting. I don't see the publicist comment. I'm in no way affiliated with the St. Louis Cardinals, not a fan, nothing. I just think you've inferred too much based on this incident.

As far as me saying you should be Tony's publicist, that's known as sarcasm. Headache isn't the only one with a license for sarcasm, you know. I don't feel I'm overreacting at all and we can agree to disagree. I sure hope Tony doesn't have a drinking problem, but a man his age should know better, especially when he's the manager of a MLB franchise. Quite frankly, if Joe Torre did the same thing, I'm sure plenty of folks would say it was a big deal because Joe Torre is held to a different standard than any other manager in MLB. But, now we can move on and get back to baseball. I can't wait for the season to start.

How dare Craig Biggio wear a pin!
By Paul Lukas
Special to Page 2

Is there anything sadder than a kid with cancer? How about a league that cracks down on someone who tries to help kids with cancer?

That was the situation that unfolded around Craig Biggio on Thursday. For most of his 20-year career, Biggio has been involved with the Sunshine Kids, a nonprofit group that helps cancer-stricken youth. He's raised more than $1.8 million for the group through his annual golf tournament, and he's always shown his support and raised awareness by wearing a pin of the group's sun-shaped logo on his cap during pregame warm-ups and in spring training games. OK, so it looks a little weird, but big deal -- he's never done it in a regular-season game, he's never covered up the Astros logo and he's never gotten a dime for it.

And now he won't be doing it at all, because some pathetic little MLB functionary decreed Thursday that Biggio must remove the pin. You've gotta hand it to MLB: It takes a very special brand of chutzpah to tell a future Hall of Famer to stop supporting cancer patients. Forget about players on steroids -- the real problem, apparently, is kids on chemo. And that's just the beginning of MLB's cluelessness here. According to this account, "a league official, having watched the Astros-Devil Rays game on the local Houston Fox Southwest feed, sent word to Kissimmee that [Biggio] must remove [the pin]. A picture from that game was faxed to the Astros, who informed [Biggio] of the league's request." Whoa, TV and faxes -- they sure caught him red-handed! Apparently the miscreant who employed these high-tech investigative tools was unaware that Biggio had already been wearing the pin on his cap for nearly 20 years.

It might also interest the league office to learn that Biggio is hardly the first MLB figure to wear a pin on his cap. Back when Billy Martin was managing the Yankees, he wore a cross pin, a habit he continued when he moved on to the A's. Martin's protégé Bucky Dent did the same thing when he managed the Yankees, and has also worn it during his coaching stints with the Rangers, Cardinals and Reds.

Stick pins have also shown up in other spots on MLB uniforms. On Opening Day last year, Manny Ramirez wore a little pin right between the "Red" and "Sox" on his jersey, which upon closer inspection turned out to be a little angel swinging a bat. And during Game 3 of the 1974 World Series, Reggie Jackson wore an A's World Series press pin on his waistband (additional info on that is available here).

Nobody from MLB faxed any cease-and-desist letters to Martin, Dent, Ramirez or Jackson -- only Biggio. Was the MLB brain trust worried that he was defiling those new batting practice caps that everyone hates? Was it worried that he was cheapening the value of a crucial spring training game? Was it worried that he was sullying the sanctity of the sport? Remember, this is the same league that was going to sell Spider-Man ads on the bases until public outcry led it to beat a hasty retreat. You can expect plenty of outcry on this one too -- don't be surprised to see that pin back on Biggio's cap by next week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/070323&sportCat=mlb

I wonder if the uber-genius who ordered the pin removal will be reprimanded.
He should be forced to wear one as well, but without the cap, because appropriately enough (you saw it coming) he's obviously a pin-head.

MrPryck2U said:
As far as me saying you should be Tony's publicist, that's known as sarcasm. Headache isn't the only one with a license for sarcasm, you know.

I don't feel I'm overreacting at all and we can agree to disagree. I sure hope Tony doesn't have a drinking problem, but a man his age should know better, especially when he's the manager of a MLB franchise.

Quite frankly, if Joe Torre did the same thing, I'm sure plenty of folks would say it was a big deal because Joe Torre is held to a different standard than any other manager in MLB.

1. My point was that I don't understand the joke in your sarcasm, because what I said wasn't a stretch at all.

2. I completely agree, I just don't think it means he has a drinking problem.

3. I'd say the exact same thing. The only person I'd bury is Charlie Manuel, 'cause I'd use any excuse to bury him. :wink:

Shea Stadium was absolutely the worst baseball stadium I've ever seen a game in, worse than Yankee Stadium and the Vet, the 2nd and 3rd worst, respectively.

meh i think Shea Stadium has more character than anoooooother new fake retro stadium will have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom