The Super Terrific MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realize Gil Meche had left the Mariners. :reject:

Eh, I don't follow all the ins and outs (ha ha) of baseball. I can't quote stats or rattle off a whole team's roster, but I enjoy watching the games.

And yay, the Mariners beat the A's for their season opener! I'm going to take that as a good sign for the season.

Ok, I don't ususally post in here, and I dont' understand exactly what this means, so could someone explain to me what selling the cubs would entail? Will the team still be in Chicago or not? Please help me out, cause this is kind of distressing news to me at the moment :lol:

Felix looked really good today. 98mph fastball with good, late movement, and a real sharp bender. He lost 20-25 pounds in the off-season. He could go off this year. Halladay looked ok. Schilling, not so good. Nor Pavano. Fun day at work, watching baseball all day. :)

Yeah, it was nice to see what Felix Hernanez could really do, rather than just hearing all the hype and then him just being meh last season.

Email I received from one of my compadres in Houston:

I was talking with Shane Reynolds last night. He had just finished talking with Roger Clemens. Looks like Clemens is in final negotiations with both the Red Sox and Yankees. Red Sox made him a big offer. He said he'll pick one of those two teams and then go into the Hall of Fame under that team.

A little inside information.

bono_212 said:
Ok, I don't ususally post in here, and I dont' understand exactly what this means, so could someone explain to me what selling the cubs would entail? Will the team still be in Chicago or not? Please help me out, cause this is kind of distressing news to me at the moment :lol:

all it means is that there will be a new owner... they won't be leaving chicago anytime this century.

while i do expect, now that the lone sane person in the yankee ownership hierarchy has been kicked out the castle, that king george the third will throw large sums of money at the rocketed one.

but as for the team he picks being the team he goes into the hall of fame for, it's not up to roger to decide (thank you, wade boggs). the hall of fame decides themselves what team they feel the player made their biggest mark on.

gary carter wanted to go into the hall of fame as a met... he went in as los expo.

Clemens will likely go in as a Red Sox, having the lion's share of his wins (193) with them plus the two 20 strikeout games.
The only other choice is the Yanks because of the championship factor. Toronto and Houston need not apply.
However when he wins a World Series with the Red Sox this fall, and has surpassed Cy Young as the team's all time victory leader, it'll then be a no brainer.

Hewson said:
He accomplished more with Toronto however.

i report, you decide

toronto
2 seasons - 67 games pitched
21-7, 2.05 era, 292 K's
20-6, 2.65 era, 271 K's
41-13 total - 563 K's, 2 cy youngs
led league both seasons in wins, strikeouts & era
0 post-season appearances

houston
3 seasons - 84 games pitched
18-4, 2.98 era, 218 K's
13-8, 1.87 era, 185 K's
7-6, 2.30 era, 102 K's
38-18 total - 505 K's, 1 cy young
led league in era once
2 post-season appearances, 1 world series apperance

if you go on sheer stats, toronto wins... if post-season is what matters to you, houston wins.

in reality, neither matters 'cause it's still a two horse race between boston and the yankees.

No matter what hat Roger wears in Cooperstown, he should show up for the induction wearing eyeblack just like the 90 ALCS.

bling0325.jpg

bling0325.jpg

bling0325.jpg

bling0325.jpg

bling0325.jpg

bling0325.jpg

I could see Clemens going back to the Red Sox, but honestly? I don't think he's the dominating pitcher he once was, and I don't see him doing a Nolan Ryan in any way, shape or form. (I'd *still* be afraid of Ryan's fastball if he was pitching, his age notwithstanding!) Quite frankly I see a lot of money being spent but whoever spends it not getting as much as they think they will.

nolan ryan from age 40 on
40 - 8-16, 2.76 era (led NL)
41 - 12-11, 3.52 era
42 - 16-10, 3.20 era
43 - 13-9, 3.44 era
44 - 12-6, 2.91 era
45 - 5-9, 3.72 era
46 - 5-5, 4.88 era
career - 324-292, 3.19 era
27 seasons, 2 20 win seasons
zero cy youngs, zero mvps

roger clemens from age 40 on
40 - 17-9, 3.91 era
41 - 18-4, 2.98 era
42 - 13-8, 1.87 era (led NL)
43 - 7-6, 2.30 era
career - 348-178, 3.10 era
23 seasons, 6 20 win seasons
7 cy youngs, 1 mvp

roger clemens blows nolan ryan away.

Frankly, when all is said and done Clemens will be regarded as possibly the greatest pitcher since Cy Young, if not of all time...and its accurate.

Damn you Dan Duquette.

While a couple of guys matched him in their respecitve primes, I'd have to agree that the way Clemens pitched consistently for 23 years puts him as the best pitcher of all-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom