The Super Terrific MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
at least Shea is unique right now. soon the Mets will have a ballpark thats just like everybody else's new stadiums. the many historic moments are what give Shea its character, like Wainwright striking out Beltran.

thus then, by that theory, the future moments will give the new stadium it's character...

the irony of this conversation is, of course, that shea stadium is one of the cookie cutter stadiums from the 60s that were designed, more or less, exactly the same, with uniform demensions... shea, dodger stadium, three rivers, riverfront, busch, the big a... heck, even the astrodome (shea was originaly supposed to be enclosed with a domed roof)... and here you are saying that they should keep one of the last of the cookie cutter stadiums because it's "unique."

irony abounds.

i thought it was a shame they tore down Busch as well. these new retro stadiums are the new cookie cutters, and busch and shea were two of the nicer cookie cutters that had some history in them, thus making them unique in todays culture.

Shea is a fucking dive. Always has been one, always will be one, until they scrap it. The Stadium is surrounded by junk yards and stray dogs. And, I say this not as a Met hater, but as a baseball lover. Shea has no charm whatsoever, and I look forward to their new ballpark. Most Met fans I know are like Headache...a little sad to see it go, cos it's their shithouse, but, more or less looking forward to the new stadium.

i could care less if everyone made a new "retro" style stadium... they never should have gotten rid of that design style in the first place.

the designs may be "retro" but the stadiums do have their own style to them, as opposed to the cookie cutter, same dimension same exact design stadiums that they're taking the place of. the only similarity between CitiField and Citizen's Bank Park is that they both share names of banks... where as the Vet and Shea had almost the exact same dimensions, the only real difference being that the vet was enclosed and has turf where as shea was never finished and had grass. other than that they're just big, cavernous multi-use stadiums with little to no identifying characteristics.

entering and exiting shea is like entering a warehouse. now they've done as good a job as they can sprucing the place up in recent years but it's all just for show really... there's not much inviting about an endless hallway of concrete. if you sit on the field it's fine but if you end up in the upper deck you feel as if you're watching the game from a different county. the stadium is so friggin huge and so friggin round that if you come off the 7 train and you have seats near home plate you have to walk for friggin ever to get there, dodging traffic, potholes and if it rained recently, giant lake like puddles to get to one of the cluttered entrances.

i've been to citizen's bank and to coors field... and i was in complete envy of each stadium. wide concorses, great sightlines, unique characteristics, more bathrooms, more comfortable seating... all the things that shea doesn't have.

the new stadium will have more, easier to access entrances, more concession stands, more bathrooms, more comfortable seating, better sightlines, unique dimensions, the ability to walk 360 degrees around the field (unlike the giant wasteland that exists beyond the outfield at shea), improved drainage and walkways outside the stadium, and the city is rapidly trying to buy up the junkyards outside the parking lot to try and revitalie the entire area there... resturants, bars, etc. the only real bar that's really within legit walking distance, where you don't have to pass a dozen junkyards to get to, is in the lobby of the ramada, on the other side of the grand central parkway. the city wants to make the area by 126th street a vivrant community that people want to come to all year round, not just for met games and the US Open.

like i said... it'll be sad, 'cause it's my dump. but it's still a dump, and i can't wait for it to be replaced.

I've been to several of the new line of stadiums: Citizens Bank, PNC, Jacobs, and Camden Yards, each of which was unique and had better sightlines. I've also been to Yankee Stadium, Shea, RFK, and the Vet, only one of which had good sightlines (Yankee) and all of which looked and felt remarkably similar. I'd say the new line of stadiums, from personal experience, are a very significant upgrade.

I think the only similarity between them honestly is that they are spacious and build for sightlines.

It's almost opening day! :hyper:

Safeco Field in Seattle is really nice, with the retractable roof, pleasing design, and that open-air thing where you can see onto the field from anywhere on the main concourse.

Plus the Intentional Wok sushi bar is a great name for a ballpark food stand. :wink:

Here's to hoping that the Mariners don't both suck AND blow yet again this year, thus forcing Ichiro into his inevitable move to the Yankees or some such other team that Seattle bitterly loathes. :(

Last edited:
Evereybody sing:
Oogie oogie oogie oogie...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070329/SPORTS/703290424/1004/SPORTS

Urbina faces 14 years in Venezuelan prison

Star news services

Former pitcher Ugueth Urbina was sentenced in Caracas, Venezuela, to 14 years in prison for the attempted murder of five workers on his family's ranch, the Attorney General's Office announced Wednesday.

Urbina, a former pitcher with the Montreal Expos, Boston Red Sox, Texas Rangers, Florida Marlins, Detroit Tigers and Philadelphia Phillies, was also found guilty of illegal deprivation of liberty and violating a prohibition against taking justice into his own hands during a dispute over a gun Oct. 16, 2005, according to a statement from the Attorney General's Office.
The 32-year-old free agent was accused of joining a group of men in attacking and injuring workers with machetes and pouring gasoline on them at his family's ranch, located about 25 miles south of Caracas.
Urbina repeatedly has denied involvement with the violence, saying he was sleeping at the time of the attack.
Urbina, a two-time All-Star, last pitched in the major leagues with the Phillies in 2005. He is 30th on the all-time saves list with 237.

I think we're pretty well set now at closer with Papelbon. Julian Tavarez can hold down the back end of the rotation until late May when Roger Clemens (already looking into renting space at Ritz Carlton Boston Common, but thats hush hush) makes his triumphant return to Boston.

(Yes Yankee fans, you heard it here first, that is what precipitated the move of Papelbon, they wouldn't pull a potential dominant starter out of the rotation without a backup plan).

:dance:

Hewson, I wish we could have a "just for fun" bet on Clemens returning to Boston or not. I don't think he will, but hey, you never know.

Meanwhile, over in YankeeLand, Steinbrenner's daughter, Jenny has announced that she is divorcing Steve Swindal. Swindal was to be named successor to The Boss, but now all of that is thrown out the window. Swindal was recently pulled over for DUI and that was definitely a big deal in YankeeLand as well as with his wife Jenny. It looks like one of The Boss' sons will take over for George when he's done.

phillyfan26 said:
I've been to several of the new line of stadiums: Citizens Bank, PNC, Jacobs, and Camden Yards, each of which was unique and had better sightlines. I've also been to Yankee Stadium, Shea, RFK, and the Vet, only one of which had good sightlines (Yankee) and all of which looked and felt remarkably similar. I'd say the new line of stadiums, from personal experience, are a very significant upgrade.

I think the only similarity between them honestly is that they are spacious and build for sightlines.

Miller Park in Milwaukee is also really nice. I love the retractable roof, I'm glad U2Kitten invented them.

I'm going to miss Shea when it's no longer around. Shea is like the unfinished stadium that just never got any love. The Mets did win 2 world championship there, so there's a little bit of history in the building. But, with CitField, the Mets are finally getting the Stadium they are worthy of.

Miller Park is nice, certainly a vast improvement over the old County Stadium (it's been many years - that was the name, right?) but nothing can beat the tailgate parties in the parking lot at a Brewers game!

:rockon:

MrPryck2U said:
You should be his publicist. Seriously though, when you're the manager of a MLB franchise, it is a big deal. As the manager of a ballclub (and a respected one like the St. Louis Cardinals) you're held to a higher standard and Tony should've known better. Was he loaded? Probably not with "only" a .093, but he had enough to get himself arrested. Condoning LaRussa's actions by the way, is just plain wrong. Saying shit like "you never had a glass of wine and drove home?" doesn't cut it with me. If I was getting paid a lot of money to be expected to behave, I either wouldn't have drank any wine or had some else drive.

Doesn't Oxygen contain more than .093?

Seriously. Getting down on LaRusa for that is stupid. I think you get to .093 if one of your relatives touches a bottle of wine...

maybe i just like Shea because its one of the few fair stadiums left, and one of the few stadiums left with a bit of history in it.

i just know i liked playing the NLCS in Shea stadium last year 10 million times better than playing in Houston's Minute Maid park, a park that is 100 feet down one line, 3 miles to center field where youll find a hill and flag, a choo choo train and buzzing noises after 10 seconds.

baseball is about history, not gimmicks. but maybe id feel differently if i ever visited Shea.

MrPryck2U said:
Dalton, why don't you take a number and join all of the folks who had no problem with Tony falling alseep at the wheel?

Did I say that I had no problem with LaRussa falling asleep behind the wheel.

Prick, why don't you join the legions of key board warriors that jump the gun on their conclusions.

Chizip said:

i just know i liked playing the NLCS in Shea stadium last year 10 million times better than playing in Houston's Minute Maid park, a park that is 100 feet down one line, 3 miles to center field where youll find a hill and flag, a choo choo train and buzzing noises after 10 seconds.

Don't forget about the windmill and the clown's mouth.

Well, you did say that I was stupid for getting on Tony, so what exactly are you inferring? Is Tony a drunk? I hope not. But, like I stated earlier, as manager of an MLB team, I felt Tony's lapse in judgement was a big deal. Hey, I was the only one who felt that way, but that's cool with me. I also thought it was pretty funny that all of these folks came to his defense when he was "only" busted with a .093 BAC. Right, because that's cool and I'm the morality police, so what do I know? Anyway, the issue died a few days ago, so let's let it stay dead.

Thankfully, the season will be starting soon and they'll be more important things to discuss.

Beat_Dead_HorseSanitysBlog.jpg

But anyway...up until a few years ago, the legal limit in most states was .10 and has recently been lowered with tougher laws. So had Tony been stopped 10 years ago, he'd have been driven home or at worst PC'ed for falling asleep.

I don't think anyone is condoning his actions, but the point people are making Prycky is that what he did wasn't as egregious as you seem to be characterizing it.
He didn't cause an accident or any harm to anyone, he was barely over the legal limit, which can easily be contested in court, and this certainly doesn't guarantee the man has a "drinking problem".
Its more likely a mistake for which he'll pay his penalty, hopefully learn from it and move on.

Hewson, I think what scared me the most was the way the police discovered Tony. I think that's what set me off.
Anyway, how wacky of a start to the season is this going to be for the Yankees? Carl Pavano has been named the Opening Day starter. I guess the Yankees are just trying to get all of their injuries out of the way and beat the Summer rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom