The Super Terrific MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, the Yankees bullpen looks to be their achilles heel this season, but if their starters get healthy and go deep into games, that would counter it somewhat.

The Boston bullpen has been excellent.

Well, I hope the Mariners enjoyed their one day in first place in the AL West the other week. After a 6 game losing streak, that may be the only happiness they have all year. Sheesh.

(But on the plus side, they've made a really good effort at comebacks in late innings in most of those games, and they had a pinch-hit grand slam, which is pretty nifty.)

the biggest warning sign about the yankees pitching staff is andy pettite.

he's been good, yes. but he has had elbow problems not too long ago... and they've now used him out of the bullpen between starts twice.

i'd be very careful if i was joe torre (i'd also have a large nose and no noticable emotions). overworking pettite now to make up from the injury problems the rest of the staff has may, ultimately, lead to injury problems for pettite down the stretch.

the yankees need to be bad for a few years, to help readjust the diluted thinking of the entire organization... are these games really that desperate, in april, that you need to do something that could ultimately put at risk your entire season just to try and stay in the game? i mean come on... it's april.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

he's been good, yes. but he has had elbow problems not too long ago... and they've now used him out of the bullpen between starts twice.

i'd be very careful if i was joe torre (i'd also have a large nose and no noticable emotions). overworking pettite now to make up from the injury problems the rest of the staff has may, ultimately, lead to injury problems for pettite down the stretch.

the yankees need to be bad for a few years, to help readjust the diluted thinking of the entire organization... are these games really that desperate, in april, that you need to do something that could ultimately put at risk your entire season just to try and stay in the game? i mean come on... it's april.

Good point. Joe Torre managed the series like it was October, and has nothing to show for it.

phanan said:
While I'm glad the Red Sox won the games this weekend, I'm not too overly excited. In fact, I'm a bit disappointed. Boston had its best pitchers going, and the best performance was Beckett on Saturday, who gave up four earned runs.

That's ok but I doubt it will be good enough when the Yankees have their pitching staff back in order. Because once they do, with the lineup they have, they are going to be very tough to beat.

True, but the bats are heating up finally, and we'll see if Wakefield can keep his fire burning tonight.

I noticed that too about Pettite.

torre said at the start of the season he wouldn't use mariano in the 8th... he did.

francona said he wouldn't use paplebon on friday... he didn't.

the pressure's getting to joe (the pressure is under the jacket... that's why you can't see it). he managed like it was october... francona managed like it was april.

and francona swept.

why do i keep posting like deep?

It's official! You can chalk it up. Mark Prior is having exploratory surgery on his shoulder.

I'm not even mad. I really just feel sorry for the guy. What a promising career he once had...and now this.

On a related note, Joe Mauer is playing well. Good pick Twins.

Hewson said:
Could be another MVP year for Arod, on a last place team.

wouldn't that be a kick in the balls... a-rod finally has that breakout year in new york... that .340, 50+ homers, 140 rbi year... and the yankees pitching falls apart and they're just terrible.

Now its only April, but if they awarded the MVP now, it would be Arod on a last place team yet again.

The only time Donny Baseball was ever on a winning team:

baseball.jpg

While I think this finally might be the year they don't win the AL East, I seriously don't think the Yankees will finish last in the division, either.

Torre will be around for the whole season and then not come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom