The Strokes and Gavin Friday.. should I buy their CDs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2ME3

Refugee
Originally posted by U2LA:
I really really really really really really really really LIKE The Strokes alot. I am not an artsy music guy at all and have never thought I'd like something like Gavin Friday. I DO like The Strokes ALOT. I love their jingly guitars and the singers half monotone half something else vocals. The production is very shoddy, yes, it sounds like a garage band but it is so needed right now in a world of Creed and DMB. If you like DMB and Creed alot, you will probably not like The Strokes at all. They are very "garage" and not polished. But they are so much fun! They remind me of The Smiths meets The Ramones. It's a jangly punk pop but NOT in a Blink 182 kind of way, very New York underground rock and roll sounding to me.

The Strokes are my favorite new band!

What he said.

------------------
Me3

It took me several listens to get into The Strokes...but now I love it!!!!

biggrin.gif

------------------
when a good time turns around
you must whip it
you will never live it down
unless you whip it
no one gets their way
until they whip it
i say whip it
whip it good

Originally posted by U2LA:
I really really really really really really really really LIKE The Strokes alot. I am not an artsy music guy at all and have never thought I'd like something like Gavin Friday. I DO like The Strokes ALOT. I love their jingly guitars and the singers half monotone half something else vocals. The production is very shoddy, yes, it sounds like a garage band but it is so needed right now in a world of Creed and DMB. If you like DMB and Creed alot, you will probably not like The Strokes at all. They are very "garage" and not polished. But they are so much fun! They remind me of The Smiths meets The Ramones. It's a jangly punk pop but NOT in a Blink 182 kind of way, very New York underground rock and roll sounding to me.

I can't see DMB being lumped in with Creed, but I digress...

I bought the Strokes and played it once. It's unlikely that it will be played again by moi and will end up going to the used CD store on my next trip.

I recommend Pete Yorn's album musicforthemorningafter. After a few listens I got really hooked on it.
smile.gif

I'm still hunting for used copies of the Strokes and for Ryan Adams.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I recommend Pete Yorn's album musicforthemorningafter. After a few listens I got really hooked on it.
smile.gif

I'm still hunting for used copies of the Strokes and for Ryan Adams.

I'll trade my Strokes for a U2 bootleg.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
sure why not. Whatcha looking for?
biggrin.gif

That Point Depot New Year's Eve show everyone was raving about recently. I'm emailing you.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
That Point Depot New Year's Eve show everyone was raving about recently. I'm emailing you.

kewl. I should be happy to make it available to you.
smile.gif
*awaits email*

I have heard such good reviews of the Strokes album, particularly by U2 fans, as well as Gavin Friday's albums. I didn't really enjoy the Strokes' first single (in America, they probably have another out in Europe) -- should I still buy the CD? Is it worth the money? Because I am sooo poor right now I only want to get CDs I am sure I will like. As for Gavin Friday -- I haven't even heard his voice, ever, so I don't know if I would like his albums or not, but they are on sale here for pretty good prices. Should I get either of them? Thanks for any input, guys
smile.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

You must, MUST, get Gavin Friday's "Shag Tobacco". I love it!! First off, Edge and Bono sing back up vocals on two of the songs. And Gavin's voice...*swoon*... All I have to say is, if you think Bono purring in his low "Velvet Dress" voice is hot, wait til you hear Gavin.

The album may take some getting used to, but I got into it the first time I heard it. Also, it's the only Gavin album I've heard, don't know about the others but I'm sure they're just as good.

Sorry, though, I'm not familiar with The Strokes.

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

I bought the Strokes album and was fairly disappointed...

The album sounds as though it was recorded in a tin can quite often, and alot of the singer's vocals are not really distinguishable, and are hard to hear on some songs.

I do, though, like what they are going for as a band, and so I am quite excited by what they have started.

I love the Strokes too, and it is definatly my favorite album that I have bought since I bought ATYCLB, of course. I don't know much about Gavin Friday, but always wondered. I think that I will pick up Shag Tobacco!! Thanks for the advice. It is nice when other people's threads answer questions that you already had
biggrin.gif

------------------
***Spinny***
"OH, SINNY- er,um- SPINNY!" (freudian slip?)-JulyFly

"Here I go and I don't know why
I spin so ceaselessly
Could it be he's taken over me????
"

Update:

I am waiting to see the Strokes in the used rack, and I went ahead and bought Gavin Friday's Shag Tobacco. I'm in love with it.
biggrin.gif
I reccomend it highly.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Gavin: Never heard it.

Strokes: Hype, hype, hype, hype, hype. Not a bad band, actually, but nothing like what the press (and especially British press) made them out to be.

You're in luck: what you really want just came out today--Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. A rather amazing album (though not as good as their last, Summerteeth.) But this one is a masterpiece as well, and certainly the best album I've heard in 2 or 3 years. A nice review.

Em.. why do people keep bumping up my old topics?

Anyway, I got Gavin's Shag Tobacco. Not disappointed. Very good.
biggrin.gif
I bought Adam'n'Eve as well, which is good, but not as good as Shag Tobacco IMO.

------------------

Back
Top Bottom