The Strokes - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2003, 01:09 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:06 AM
The Strokes

These guys are one of the most hated bands in the NYC indie scene. If I even try to mention them to a friend he throws me looks that kill. Why you ask? Rich kid playing rock star.

The singers dad runs Elite Modeling agency. Translate this into the fact they're LOADED. Work to pay for rent? How will we pay for studio time? No problem, I'm a millionaire. They used their CASH to pay for Nirvana's former publicist. They were getting press write-ups before they even recorded a demo. Again, CASH, not talent saves their day. I've also heard the guitarist's father was a producer for the Stones? Man, these guys had an up hill battle! I've actually seen the bass player get mocked on the street by other NYC musicians. It's fing funny how much these guys are hated.

Old 08-29-2003, 01:24 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:06 AM
I love The Strokes, and that's all I'm going to say. I could really care less about Julian's father so long as the music makes me happy - and it does.

Old 08-29-2003, 01:32 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

I contrast it to Bono's speach at Slane, thanking each family for lending 500 pounds. The band came from somewhere. The Strokes were kids playing w/ their trust fund, I just can't respect that. If the music weren't so average i'd feel different.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:53 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

I think it might not be fair to the band to assume things that the media has hinted at. We have no proof that each band member has $millions in their respective bank accounts just because their parents had money. Having parents with money doesn't make you an idiot, any less hardworking, or any less talented. You'd be surprised at how many well-respected bands come from moneyed background. Yeah - the Strokes were well-educated, but so were the guys in Interpol - and to my knowledge, they get lots of respect. As for the NYC underground - so much of that is populated with moneyed pretentious hipsters, I wouldn't even know how to begin to pick apart the poor hipsters from the rich ones.

Average music? Are you greatly familiar with The Strokes's debut album, and their newer material? I can see if musically it wasn't your thing - but this is a very exciting band within the rock world. I saw them live, and to see the reaction of the fans and each person in the crowd - it was as if The Beatles had just walked on stage by the degree of hysteria this band produces (and this was not a teenybopper audience).
Old 08-29-2003, 02:05 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

It's all pretty well know, from local sources, not the media. I just can't respect the rich kid who wasn't REALLY taking a risk. I've had the record for a long time now, good for a listen or two, but future of rock? If I wanna hear the same thing done well I play the Velvet Underground. Thankfully, their next album will tank as NME moves on to it's latest flavor of the month.

PS-This is how you tell who NYC rich hipster and who's working class:

Working Class-Already own all that VINTAGE clothing, it's actually their clothes.

NYC Hipster-Buys it at a "vintage" clothing store in SOHO.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:20 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

By all means, I don't think they are the future of rock - but I won't count them out just yet for being a really cool band. I've known quite a few rich kids who've taken risks and failed, I've known quite a few who succeeded, and I've known quite a few who did nothing but live on the interests accrued in their bank accounts...The point is, that I don't really judge, because it's not possible for me to know the real truth. Poor hipsters can make pretty shitty music too. I don't see how lack of money/too much money can dictate talent or relevance.

Look at today's popular music - these people pay top dollah to get the hit producers to overbloat the same ole tested formulas - and it all sounds chopped up and trashy with no emotion. Sure, it's not fair that the Strokes didn't spend their hard-earned on their first guitar - but that doesn't mean they came out of the womb knowing how to play, either. Their music isn't brilliant and neither are they - but no manner of hype or hypertension about them will quell my adoration for this band and how they make me feel.

NME is a drama queen.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:28 PM   #7
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

It really isn't fair to hold the wealth of a parent against a kid.

Leona Naess catches shit a lot because her father is a shipping magnate and her stepmother used to be Diana Ross. Some people say that she hasn't really lived life or had enough life experiences because of that.

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-29-2003, 02:35 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I by no means think a rich person can't be talented. What it does do is take the RISK out of being an artist, and the hardship as well. I've seen bands grub for gas and food $, live in the same apartment, spend rent money on studio time and sweat out evictions, all in the name of their art. The Strokes never had to worry about this. Rent? what's that? Record a demo? don't worry about the $, we've got it. Record company contacts? don't worry, my dad knows people.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:36 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
I by no means think a rich person can't be talented. What it does do is take the RISK out of being an artist, and the hardship as well. I've seen bands grub for gas and food $, live in the same apartment, spend rent money on studio time and sweat out evictions, all in the name of their art. The Strokes never had to worry about this. Rent? what's that? Record a demo? don't worry about the $, we've got it. Record company contacts? don't worry, my dad knows people.

I've got Leona Naess's first record, and I like it.

Old 08-29-2003, 02:37 PM   #10
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

I just don't see what the point is...whether they had to struggle or not. I mean, yeah...I know that there are some pretty cool stories for musicians who overcame financial hardships (among others) to rise to success, but...hey...talent is talent.

Old 08-29-2003, 02:37 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Fuck!
Old 08-29-2003, 02:38 PM   #12
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Old 08-29-2003, 02:40 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
I just don't see what the point is...whether they had to struggle or not. I mean, yeah...I know that there are some pretty cool stories for musicians who overcame financial hardships (among others) to rise to success, but...hey...talent is talent.
You see no difference between Do It Yourself and dad paying for it all?
Old 08-29-2003, 03:11 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Check this NYC band out. Orange Park. Make the Strokes look like jokes! If only they had a trust fund. They could be a contender!

www.orangeparkmusic.com
Old 08-29-2003, 03:39 PM   #15
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

You see no difference between Do It Yourself and dad paying for it all?
If you have the resources available, lucky you. If not...and you have to really work for it...the success may seem sweeter and more satisfying to the musician. To me as a listener though, it really doesn't make much of a difference.

Tags
the strokes