The Stones 2006 North American Stadium Tour - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2006, 04:47 AM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:13 PM
Wow! Great pics!!! Are these yours (aka - were you there?)

I read an article about the Hawaii cancellation, stating they suspect it was due to poor ticket sales, and that 20,000 tickets were still available

Old 11-01-2006, 10:53 AM   #47
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:13 PM
20,000 still available

There was also another story about a woman suing the Stones for $51 million US for cancelling a show on the East Coast. Something about her not getting enough time to cancel her hotel room and get her money back...

Old 11-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #48
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Quote:
I read an article about the Hawaii cancellation, stating they suspect it was due to poor ticket sales, and that 20,000 tickets were still available
No surprise, it's on thanksgiving day, no one will go there.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:31 PM   #49
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:13 AM
there seems to be a rather large bitterness aimed at the rolling stones by u2 fans... it's a shame, really. the stones still put on an amazing live show... and yes, it's largely old stuff over new stuff, but they do throw in a few rarely played songs at each gig.

i can only hope u2 is still playing into their 50s and even 60s... and how i wish they'd try to compete with the stones' as far as live stage innovation goes. u2 in the 90's passed the stones by in that category with zootv and popmart... but alas, the stones regrouped and have left u2's little wheelchair ramp's in the dust with their stage setup. it really is a sight to see.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #50
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:13 PM
I would like to see the show Headache, but I can't see forking out the kind of money they are charging for tickets. I saw them at the Coliseum in the 80s (when Prince opened), and have watched their concerts on cable, but they've priced their tickets way out of my league (for a decent seat). And they are playing at Dodger Stadium this time around, for whenever they've rescheduled it. Haven't seen a show there since... U2-ZooTV
Old 11-02-2006, 11:20 PM   #51
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:13 PM
I'm wondering if Van Morrison is still going to be the opening act for the Vancouver show ~ which is now the last night of tour
Old 11-03-2006, 09:54 AM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Soldatti

No surprise, it's on thanksgiving day, no one will go there.
Concerts in Hawaii do well or poorly based on the demand from the population that lives in Hawaii. The number of people who actually will travel that distance to see a rock concert is comparitively small and would be unable to significantly effect ticket sales.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
there seems to be a rather large bitterness aimed at the rolling stones by u2 fans... it's a shame, really. the stones still put on an amazing live show... and yes, it's largely old stuff over new stuff, but they do throw in a few rarely played songs at each gig.

i can only hope u2 is still playing into their 50s and even 60s... and how i wish they'd try to compete with the stones' as far as live stage innovation goes. u2 in the 90's passed the stones by in that category with zootv and popmart... but alas, the stones regrouped and have left u2's little wheelchair ramp's in the dust with their stage setup. it really is a sight to see.
Have you been to a U2 Vertigo Stadium show? The show I saw in Dublin was fantastic and the Vertigo Stadium tour in Europe is the highest grossing tour in the history of that continent with all the shows soldout in minutes or hours. By contrast, the latest Stones tour in Europe failed to sellout most of its shows, even in Germany where the Stones have always been strong, and several shows were actually cancelled due to low ticket sales.

In fact, the only countries where one could argue that the Stones are still a bigger concert draw than U2 are the United States and Japan. Thats a huge reversal from 10 or even 5 years ago.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:25 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

What does the amount a tour grosses have anything to do with "live stage innovation"?
Old 11-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
What does the amount a tour grosses have anything to do with "live stage innovation"?
The more popular the tour, the higher the gross and attendance. Perhaps, certain people don't consider what U2 and Willie Williams to be doing currently as being innovative along with the albums as well, but MILLIONS of people have a different opinion on that issue.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:22 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

In case you didn't read Headache's actual post - which I don't think you did past the first line - you'll see that he not once mentions cash.

The Rolling Stones have come up with the coolest-looking concert stage since Popmart. Have you been to a Rolling Stones show this tour? You really have to see this thing in action to believe it - it's incredible!
Old 11-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
In case you didn't read Headache's actual post - which I don't think you did past the first line - you'll see that he not once mentions cash.

The Rolling Stones have come up with the coolest-looking concert stage since Popmart. Have you been to a Rolling Stones show this tour? You really have to see this thing in action to believe it - it's incredible!
The stage looks terrible IMO.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02

The stage looks terrible IMO.
You just told us that you haven't been to a Stones show.

There's not a chance you'd say that if you saw it in person - it blows U2's Egg out of the water by MILES.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:33 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:13 AM
U2 like Stones? In other words, 60+ year olds embarassingly hopping around on stage, with no one caring about the new material?
Pass.

U2's left them in the dust with Zoo TV and Popmart, and their innovations in tour years ago.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:33 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
U2 like Stones? In other words, 60+ year olds embarassingly hopping around on stage, with no one caring about the new material?
You think casual U2 fans are showing up to hear "Yahweh"?

I agree with you, U2 was at the top of the concert setup game during the 90's and during the Elevation Tour - but the Bigger Bang tour absolutely blows the Vertigo setup out of the water. I don't know how people think an oval and a screen of hanging light-up tennis balls beats an eight-story tower that holds hundreds of people, thousands of lights, and a bigger screen than would even fit inside an arena. Shit, they even have 20-foot tall inflatable lips and the b-stage moves! How is that inferior to the Vertigo setup, please people??!?