The Stones 2006 North American Stadium Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They also informed us before that show that tonight's show was filmed for a DVD release! I've always wanted to go to a show that was filmed for release and now I have been. Can't wait to pick that up. I may even be on it; there was a camera right in my face during 'Under My Thumb.'

My only complaint is they didn't play either Street Fighting Man or Gimme Shelter. Other than that, everything from the music to the stage set up was amazing.

inmyplace13 said:
They also informed us before that show that tonight's show was filmed for a DVD release! I've always wanted to go to a show that was filmed for release and now I have been.

:applaud:

Be sure to remind us what you were wearing and where you were sitting/standing/dancing when the dvd is released :D

What was the highlight tonight???

The highlight for me was the extended "Sympathy for the Devil." The song just absolutely rips live. Another favorite of mine is "Honky Tonk Women," which was played on the b stage and thus, a bit far from me. I managed to be about 25 yards away from the stage. I was quite pleased with my spot. Here's a photo the potential new Miss imp13 took:

n795989934209347469kj5.jpg

Keep in mind she took it on her camera phone and, as always, the picture makes it look further away.

Fah, you're gonna have a blast.

You were very close to the main stage....

I am closer to the 'b' stage :yes:

I've seen them once before ~ Steel Wheels Tour

Was that 1989 :hmm:

Did they allow real cameras at the show?

fah said:
You were very close to the main stage....

I am closer to the 'b' stage :yes:

I've seen them once before ~ Steel Wheels Tour

Was that 1989 :hmm:

Did they allow real cameras at the show?

The B stage is an extension of the main stage that creeps out during the set with the boys on it towards the middle of the venue. And yeah, I managed to get a pretty good spot. I guess that's the benefit of the show being essentially all GA (there were a few sets of reserved seats set up, none closer than I was.) Kind of a weird set up, but you have to keep in mind that it's at a giant city park in Austin. 42,000 people tonight, mostly in GA. Pretty cool.

And the tickets say you can't have real cameras at the show, which is why I didn't bring mine. I regret it since they didn't even check or care when they saw people using theirs.

I just wonder how or why they try & enforce the
'no camera' policy at shows nowadays. So many people have camera phones (not me :grr: )

When I saw the Pogues earlier this week, the security had me open my purse and they peeked in. I could have had a million things in there, but I didn't. As for my husband, they thoroughly searched him, and I mean thoroughly :huh: He had nothing either, but sheesh!

inmyplace13 said:
Wow wow wow wow WOW.

They kicked ass.

Sounds like a good time! I'm getting excited. Stones on November 22nd and then U2 on December 9th! Great way to wind up the year.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - For the second time in three days, the Rolling Stones have postponed a concert so that singer Mick Jagger can rest his voice, the band's spokeswoman said on Monday.

A rare club appearance scheduled for Tuesday at New York's Beacon Theater has been delayed by a day on the advice of 63-year-old Jagger's doctor, according to a statement.

The Stones also played the Beacon on Sunday as part of former President Bill Clinton's 60th birthday celebration. Director Martin Scorsese is taping both shows for a DVD.

Friday's arena show in Atlantic City, New Jersey, was postponed just hours before show time when many fans had already descended on the resort city from around the country. Jagger also left Spanish fans in the lurch in August when the band canceled two shows due to his case of laryngitis.

The Stones now will play Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall on November 17, which is expected to result in the postponement of their November 18 date at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. The band has not played shows on consecutive nights in some years.

The Stones are midway through the second North American leg of their "Bigger Bang" world tour, which began in Boston in August 2005. After Los Angeles, they are scheduled to end the trek in Hawaii on November 22, although there is unconfirmed speculation that that show will be canceled. A Stones spokesman said he expected further announcements about the itinerary to be made in coming days.

Ticket sales in stops such as Chicago, Seattle and Los Angeles have been sluggish and sales of the band's current album "A Bigger Bang" also were disappointing.

inmyplace13 said:
Good man, but I'm not going to the Stones alone. I met a girl here and we're going together. Make sure to tell me BSS is and how absolutely pumped I should be. Also if Amy, Feist, and Emily are all there.

Most importantly Feist :drool:

I'm going to state for the record that Broken Social Scene (and all its little side-projects) is the most overrated Canadian band since Loverboy. :yuck:

I saw the Stones here in Halifax on Sept. 23rd. The details of the show are a bit of a blur ( :whistle: ) but it absolutely poured that day - it was the single biggest rainfall of the year by nearly double! That being said, I was about halfway between the main stage and where the b-stage came out to you - and it was an AMAZING show. The Stones came out and played just as hard here in the rain as they would have on a clear night, and they rocked hard. Nearly every song was extended into a jam (Sympathy for the Devil :drool: ) and they played some pretty rare tunes, too.

We had Sloan, Alice Cooper, and Kanye West opening for them, too. I didn't catch Sloan, but Alice Cooper played one of the best opening gigs I've ever seen, and although Kanye seemed like he didn't really want to be here (he'd play a song, then leave the stage for 10 minutes, and then come back for one more track and leave again - I think he only did about 4 or 5 full tunes) when he was on, he was on.

One of the best concerts I've ever been to, and that's even while I was hypothermic and soaked for twelve hours in autumn rain!

If you get a chance to go, shell out the money and see the Stones. You won't regret it, and you might not get another chance in the future.

:up::up:

Beacon 1st show:

1. Start Me Up
2. Shattered
3. She Was Hot
4. All Down The Line
5. Loving Cup (with Jack White on voc, gtr)
6. As Tears Go By
7. I'm Free
8. Undercover Of The Night
9. Just My Imagination
10. Shine A Light
11. Champagne and Reefer (with Buddy Guy on voc, gtr)
12. Tumbling Dice

INTROS

13. You Got The Silver (Keith)
14. Little T&A (Keith)

15. Sympathy For The Devil
16. Live With Me (with Christina Aguilara on voc)
17. Paint It Black
18. Jumpin' Jack Flash
19. Satisfaction

Some pics:
imagejpeg_0-1.jpg

122fs3845887.jpg

122fs384637.jpg

122fs3847345.jpg

Img_0574.jpg

Wow! Great pics!!! Are these yours (aka - were you there?)

I read an article about the Hawaii cancellation, stating they suspect it was due to poor ticket sales, and that 20,000 tickets were still available :ohmy:

Last edited:
20,000 still available :ohmy:

There was also another story about a woman suing the Stones for $51 million US for cancelling a show on the East Coast. Something about her not getting enough time to cancel her hotel room and get her money back...

I read an article about the Hawaii cancellation, stating they suspect it was due to poor ticket sales, and that 20,000 tickets were still available

No surprise, it's on thanksgiving day, no one will go there.

there seems to be a rather large bitterness aimed at the rolling stones by u2 fans... it's a shame, really. the stones still put on an amazing live show... and yes, it's largely old stuff over new stuff, but they do throw in a few rarely played songs at each gig.

i can only hope u2 is still playing into their 50s and even 60s... and how i wish they'd try to compete with the stones' as far as live stage innovation goes. u2 in the 90's passed the stones by in that category with zootv and popmart... but alas, the stones regrouped and have left u2's little wheelchair ramp's in the dust with their stage setup. it really is a sight to see.

I would like to see the show Headache, but I can't see forking out the kind of money they are charging for tickets. I saw them at the Coliseum in the 80s (when Prince opened), and have watched their concerts on cable, but they've priced their tickets way out of my league (for a decent seat). And they are playing at Dodger Stadium this time around, for whenever they've rescheduled it. Haven't seen a show there since... U2-ZooTV :drool:

Soldatti said:

No surprise, it's on thanksgiving day, no one will go there.

Concerts in Hawaii do well or poorly based on the demand from the population that lives in Hawaii. The number of people who actually will travel that distance to see a rock concert is comparitively small and would be unable to significantly effect ticket sales.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
there seems to be a rather large bitterness aimed at the rolling stones by u2 fans... it's a shame, really. the stones still put on an amazing live show... and yes, it's largely old stuff over new stuff, but they do throw in a few rarely played songs at each gig.

i can only hope u2 is still playing into their 50s and even 60s... and how i wish they'd try to compete with the stones' as far as live stage innovation goes. u2 in the 90's passed the stones by in that category with zootv and popmart... but alas, the stones regrouped and have left u2's little wheelchair ramp's in the dust with their stage setup. it really is a sight to see.

Have you been to a U2 Vertigo Stadium show? The show I saw in Dublin was fantastic and the Vertigo Stadium tour in Europe is the highest grossing tour in the history of that continent with all the shows soldout in minutes or hours. By contrast, the latest Stones tour in Europe failed to sellout most of its shows, even in Germany where the Stones have always been strong, and several shows were actually cancelled due to low ticket sales.

In fact, the only countries where one could argue that the Stones are still a bigger concert draw than U2 are the United States and Japan. Thats a huge reversal from 10 or even 5 years ago.

phanan said:
What does the amount a tour grosses have anything to do with "live stage innovation"?

The more popular the tour, the higher the gross and attendance. Perhaps, certain people don't consider what U2 and Willie Williams to be doing currently as being innovative along with the albums as well, but MILLIONS of people have a different opinion on that issue.

In case you didn't read Headache's actual post - which I don't think you did past the first line - you'll see that he not once mentions cash.

The Rolling Stones have come up with the coolest-looking concert stage since Popmart. Have you been to a Rolling Stones show this tour? You really have to see this thing in action to believe it - it's incredible!

DaveC said:
In case you didn't read Headache's actual post - which I don't think you did past the first line - you'll see that he not once mentions cash.

The Rolling Stones have come up with the coolest-looking concert stage since Popmart. Have you been to a Rolling Stones show this tour? You really have to see this thing in action to believe it - it's incredible!

The stage looks terrible IMO.

vaz02 said:

The stage looks terrible IMO.

You just told us that you haven't been to a Stones show.

There's not a chance you'd say that if you saw it in person - it blows U2's Egg out of the water by MILES.

U2 like Stones? In other words, 60+ year olds embarassingly hopping around on stage, with no one caring about the new material?
Pass.

U2's left them in the dust with Zoo TV and Popmart, and their innovations in tour years ago.

U2girl said:
U2 like Stones? In other words, 60+ year olds embarassingly hopping around on stage, with no one caring about the new material?

You think casual U2 fans are showing up to hear "Yahweh"? :eyebrow:

I agree with you, U2 was at the top of the concert setup game during the 90's and during the Elevation Tour - but the Bigger Bang tour absolutely blows the Vertigo setup out of the water. I don't know how people think an oval and a screen of hanging light-up tennis balls beats an eight-story tower that holds hundreds of people, thousands of lights, and a bigger screen than would even fit inside an arena. Shit, they even have 20-foot tall inflatable lips and the b-stage moves! How is that inferior to the Vertigo setup, please people??!? :der:

Back
Top Bottom