The Stone Roses vs Turns Into Stone vs Second Coming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
What ya reckon is the best Stone roses "album."

Indeed, Turns Into Stone isn't really an album as such, yet I still think it's worthy of inclusion.

Or maybe someone may stick their neck out and nominate Garage Flower as the best collection.

Personally you can't go past the debut album for me. No one has ever sounded so supreme.

I wanna be adored, made of stone and this is the one are in a league of their own, and i am the resurrection, she bangs the drums and bye bye badman are amazing too.

Personally, I would've preferred it if Mersey Paradise was on the album instead of Shoot You Down but thats just my opinion.

"Have you seen or have you heard the way she plays there are no words to describe the way I feel"

Definitely The Stone Roses self titled I love it, but I love The Second Coming mainly for Ten Storey Love Song.......

It is an amazing album, flows so beautifully.

The band should have been considered one of the greatest of all time

They could have been I mean Ian And John could have been up with Mick and Keith, Robert and Jimmy, Bono and Edge, John, Pau,l George and Ringo lol if only they managed to keep it together

The Stone Roses selftitled is the best, of course. And probably one of the finest albums ever.
Second Coming is also great(Tears is an amazing song) and Turns Into Stone comes at third place.

Self-titled is pretty much the obvious pick. While I do really like it, I have to think it is somewhat overrated by British Music Press.... (NME, I'm looking at you).

That being said, good stuff. There are definitely some classic songs on there.

ZeroDude said:
"Have you seen or have you heard the way she plays there are no words to describe the way I feel"

Definitely The Stone Roses self titled I love it, but I love The Second Coming mainly for Ten Storey Love Song.......

My sentiments exactly. Did anyone else have the misfortune to be at Reading 96 though? I did :sad: - it was awful. :(

I'm glad Ian Brown's getting over his near-decade-long disgust with John Squire.

ZeroDude said:

I love it how 10 storey love song flows into daybreak, amazing transition.

Daybreak is one of my faves from Second Coming, the combo of Squire and Brown at their very best!

^
Amen to that, not alot of people remember them that much now and you can imagine what it's like trying to explain to people of my age 16,17 who the Stone Roses are it's enough to make you go mad, too busy to expand there musical tastes:|

jimmmm said:
The Stone Roses, the greatest debut album of all time
:rockon:

To me, that record is THE sound of 1989. Even though I saw U2 live that year, the Stone Roses record was the soundtrack of that year.

It took them 5 years, till "Second Coming" for the Roses to tour Australia, and when they came on, to barely restrained knicker wetting, :D it was the first 3 songs of the debut that they started with. :combust: It kinda went downhill a bit from there :sad:

Have you read the biography? It really is the saddest case of drugs getting in the way of an incredible future for this band. I've listened to their solo stuff but unfortunately, the whole was greater than its parts.

Like everyone else here, and I'd imagine any future posts, the self titled debut is a MASSIVE record and the easy pick for me. That 1989 record was a landmark album that has stood up well and sounds even better with age. In my top 10 alltime and the single best debut album by any artist ever.

Now, I do think 2nd coming gets slagged unfairly in a sense as it had the weight of enormous expectations following up virtual perfection. It is a flawed record with some obvious filler, but the singles (Ten Storey, Begging You) and the 12 minute opener Breaking Into Heaven are all terrific.

GREAT band....'tis a shame they couldn't keep it together personally but for one moment in 1989 they did strike pure gold.

Hawkfire said:

It is a flawed record with some obvious filler, but the singles (Ten Storey, Begging You) and the 12 minute opener Breaking Into Heaven are all terrific.

Yeah it definitely has filler (Tightrope, Good Times, Your Star WIll Shine), but also has some tracks that are just as good, albiet different, as what they had done before (Tears, Daybreak, How Do You Sleep).

If they reform for good and release some new material, it will be a great moment for British music.

Also, Blue eyed girl, the fact that you went and saw the Stoners when they were in Australia is the most amazing thing. I wish i could have gone, but I knew not of who they were and I was a mere 9 year old.

I'm glad I had the chance to see them at all, after years of reading of the legendary Ally Pally gigs and countless others in the UK. A mate of mine is still spewing he had to go to a family wedding that night! ;)

Still, mate, living in Melbourne you have the chance to see lots of bands who don't make it across the border to my town - enjoy! :up:

Back
Top Bottom