The Stone Roses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mug222

War Child
(I'm sorry if this has been discussed recently elsewhere--someone, you see, has disabled my search function... :rolleyes: )

I'm beginning to think that The Stone Roses - s/t is perhaps my favorite album ever. Its self-assurance, musical flexibility, musical proficiency, and its sheer musicality appeal to me like very few albums I've ever encountered*. It has brilliant tunes and swagger like you wouldn't believe. (It is the clear antecedent to Achtung Baby.) Their b-sides collection, Turns Into Stone, is nearly equally terrific.

There's little point to this thread other than to declare my full-on homosexual love for Ian Brown, Squire, and every other Stone Rose :D, especially since I don't see them mentioned too often. So discuss the band here: anyone see them live? (perhaps my main regret in life ;) ), favorite tunes? (mine = where angels play, one love, waterfall, etc.)

*Close competitors:
U2 - Achtung Baby
Go-Betweens - Before Hollywood
Pavement - Wowee Zowee
Elvis Costello - Get Happy!!
Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding
Mekons - Fear and Whiskey
Beatles - Abbey Road
Wilco - Summerteeth
Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
etc...

I've heard things here and there about the Stone Roses....I think it's time I checked 'em out. Any recommendations on what to download?

MonaVox said:
I've heard things here and there about the Stone Roses....I think it's time I checked 'em out. Any recommendations on what to download?

Just buy the first album; I'll refund you if you don't like it.

If you really want a tune...I dunno, try "Fools Gold." It was the closest thing they had to a U.S. hit.

One of my all time favorite bands..likewise I never got the opportunity to see them live because I gained interest after they had parted ways but it would have been fantastic to see them. So many fantastic songs..I Wanna Be Adored is one of the most hypnotic opening tracks I've heard..One Love, Fool's Gold (soaked in Squire's talent), Made Of Stone/Sugar Spun Sister (addictive choruses to last you months),

Mona..try I Wanna Be Adored, Fool's Gold, Made Of Stone, I Am The Resurrection, Waterfall, She Bangs The Drums...you can't go wrong with their entire self-titled debut anyway but these are good indications of what the album contains.

ACROB@T said:
One of my all time favorite bands..likewise I never got the opportunity to see them live because I gained interest after they had parted ways but it would have been fantastic to see them

..and being 9-10 but..small details..

meegannie said:
I love the Stone Roses. Have you heard the Seahorses?

Unfortunately...tarnishing the legacy! :slant:

I think Brown's solo work is better, but only marginally so.

yes, yes YES!

I'm getting back into a love for the Stone Roses, neglected them for far too long

just love Sally Cinamon, Fools Gold, well all of it :)

Why are they so overlooked?

Absolutely love them. OK, I haven't bought Second Coming yet (not planning to in near future either), but I'm completely in love with their self-titled. In terms of favourite album, it's definitely 2 or 3 (current favourite is Parklife by Blur). Even album cuts like Shoot You Down or Bye Bye Badman are all excellent. Reni is one of the best drummers I have ever heard in my life. Good songs to download (and try out): Fools Gold, Elephant Stone (12" mix or the one on the US album, I like both), Made Of Stone, She Bangs the Drums, This Is The One, I Wanna Be Adored, and of course, I Am The Resurrection, although the first album is perfection start to finish.

LOOOOOOVE Stone Roses.

i mean everyones gotta love Fools Gold?

but i LoOOOOOOOOOOOOOve Ian Browns solo stuff.

F.E.A.R-WHAT a song.

and Unfinished Monkey Business-great album

I have the Stone Roses's first album. I like it, but have never been able to love it. I think it was just before my time or something. Don't get me wrong, I do like the album and the band, but I could name countless albums and bands I like more.

ps- I think that "I Want To Be Adored" is a FANTASTIC song. Probably my favorite of all their songs.

Last edited:
I've been wanting to get into The Stone Roses, and during my spring break last week, a friend of mine gave me a copy of their first cd. I must say that it is very addictive, and dammit, I just can't get I Wanna Be Adored out of my head. But hey, that's not that bad is it??

:sexywink:

Sally Cinnamon....your my world

Yes!

I remember blowing oooooddddles of cash on every single they put out (with the album Stone Roses - and I have both copieds of the CD - with and without fools gold). I sold a few (stupidly) because of the "singles and B-sides) album. I wish I had the opportunity to see them here in the States, but with that long record deal battle - I missed out.

They will always be one of my favorites. And Iris played the Ian Brown album fo rme - I liked it (but just hearing that voice is enough for me).

I Wanna be adored.

mug222 said:
[BThere's little point to this thread other than to declare my full-on homosexual love for Ian Brown[/B]

LOL...I think Ian Brown got into some trouble some years back for some very homophobic comments. He probably won't like this sentence. :sexywink:

Melon

coolhandlaura said:
F.E.A.R-WHAT a song.

The remix done by U.N.K.L.E. is awesome.

Ian Brown - F.E.A.R. [Unklesounds GU Fear-Edit, Pt. 1]

You can find it on a DJ album by James Lavelle (member of U.N.K.L.E.).

Melon

Back
Top Bottom