The Stills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw them when they opened for Ryan Adams, and I was not impressed. I have had lots of people tell me that it's not fair to judge them until listening to studio tracks though because live shows don't do them justice, apparently.

they shot a video on in my neighborhood in november. i'm not sure if it's been released yet, but it was a very beatles-esque looking thang. meaning, fans chasing them down the block until The Stills duck around a corner and avoid the mob.

Really weak, but cool because it's my hood.

I've found this thread and posted because I've just decided I really like them. I've had the album downloaded for a while, but just now really really listened. Actually, I was in nyc this past weekend, walked by a store, and heard a Starsailor song. I went in, of course, and the shop was playing the whole album (there is a relevant point in a second). Anyway, I had to shop there for a while to hear the rest of the album play, then they put on the stills. I recognized it (they were playing gender bombs, which sounds like something else to me in the beginning, just can't figure out what) and I realized how good it is - especially loud. I have no idea what they are like live, but I like the album. :)

They are terrific live. I don't say that often do I?

Indeed, my interest in them was forged that night...

Anyway, if you're interested there's a fledgling review of their performance as an opener for Broken Social Scene in my last journal entry.

:up:

the most "english sounding" band not from the UK. They're Canadian. which makes them even better. going to see them this saturday, hopefully their live show is as tight as their album, which btw is damned good.

Damn all these THE S__ bands! :mad: I always get The Stills confused with The Stands. And The Strands. And The Sights. And The Shins.

But I like The Stills. And what DOES 'Gender Bombs' sound like at the beginning? It drives me crazy too. :huh:

I picked up their album blind...which I don't do anymore....and I must say that it's pretty good. A little moody, but good all the same.

meegannie said:
But I like The Stills. And what DOES 'Gender Bombs' sound like at the beginning? It drives me crazy too. :huh:
so alive! so alive!

oh wait

i just listened and realized that's not what it sounds like. Maybe a slow 'so alive,' but that's definitely not what i was thinking of... :hmm: :mad:

or maybe it is. speed it up... or maybe i'm just convincing myself it is so i can sleep and stop thinking about this.

who did i say they reminded me of? or did i not figure it out...cos it's bugging me again.

:p

Back
Top Bottom