The Star Wars Thread, Ep II: Blu or Blu Not, There is No Original Theatrical Release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They should have Pixar do a Clone Wars movie with Brad Bird directing. Then I'd be all in.

No way. Fuck Pixar and fuck the Clone Wars.

Live action, all the way. Get somebody to write a three film arc with totally new characters, maybe keeping a couple of characters (R2 and C3PO?) for old time's sake. Or relatives/descendants of the OT characters, for continuity. But then spin it forward.

I'm going to helm this ship.

And I'm excited by all of this news. The Star Wars universe is too rich and iconic to stay dead forever in terms of big screen cinema production.

The world only spins forward.

No way. Fuck Pixar and fuck the Clone Wars.

Live action, all the way. Get somebody to write a three film arc with totally new characters, maybe keeping a couple of characters (R2 and C3PO?) for old time's sake. Or relatives/descendants of the OT characters, for continuity. But then spin it forward.

I'm going to helm this ship.

Maybe Anthony Daniels as the voice of C-3PO, but I think he's done with the costume.

Dude has given our alma mater way too much money (and a Coffee Bean) for me to hate him. I still hate the last Indy film though. That was trash.

I thought the last Indy film was much more passable than the Star Wars prequels. At least it kind of felt like Indiana Jones to some extent. Spielberg tried, but he was just dragging a safe in Lucas's ideas.

I guess if you spend 4 B's, you need to get that money back somehow

Really hope something is on the drawing board cause 2015 is gonna get here before you know it

I definitely won't go see it though.

89 to about 97 animation-wise was what i was referring to.

I mean, for the love of God, my brother is in the back seat right now watching Jake and the Neverland pirates.

What I'm trying to say is: lance's Mom goes to Disney for advice.

As much as I bitch, I still intend to see this opening night. Really, really, really drunk. Two thousand beers.

A shame I wasn't able to get in here before Mysterious Ways polluted this thread with typical, hyperbolic hater bullshit.

May I ask why? George's personal touch hasn't counted for a whole lot the past 15 years or so.

George Lucas' personal touch is responsible for the visual sophistication of the prequels, which maintain a formal integrity coming from one experienced director handling all three (something the OT sorely lacks). Return Of The Jedi's flat, uninspired look is what you may get without that involvement.

Because these films are meant for international audiences, I'm a lot more concerned with how these sequels are visualized than potential lame dialogue. So, the dumb jokes and corny lines we lose with Lucas stepping down might not be worth also losing his gifts as a storyteller through moving images.

Disney only buys winners

pat-robertson1.png

89 to about 97 animation-wise was what i was referring to.

I mean, for the love of God, my brother is in the back seat right now watching Jake and the Neverland pirates.

What I'm trying to say is: lance's Mom goes to Disney for advice.

I hear you. When you see Cinderella 2 on the shelves at Blockbuster, you have to wonder what gives. But I don't think that because the company sells some lower quality products that it negates the higher budget, higher quality productions.

A shame I wasn't able to get in here before Mysterious Ways polluted this thread with typical, hyperbolic hater bullshit.

George Lucas' personal touch is responsible for the visual sophistication of the prequels, which maintain a formal integrity coming from one experienced director handling all three (something the OT sorely lacks). Return Of The Jedi's flat, uninspired look is what you may get without that involvement.

Because these films are meant for international audiences, I'm a lot more concerned with how these sequels are visualized than potential lame dialogue. So, the dumb jokes and corny lines we lose with Lucas stepping down might not be worth also losing his gifts as a storyteller through moving images.

I'm not sure whether to react defensively or with amusement.

I hear you. When you see Cinderella 2 on the shelves at Blockbuster, you have to wonder what gives. But I don't think that because the company sells some lower quality products that it negates the higher budget, higher quality productions.

But it does negate the higher budget features.maybe if Cinderella 2 was an isolated incident,i could agree with you, but there is far more than one sequel to that one.plus don't get me stated on what a shit-fest Pixar has turned into.

I thought the last Indy film was much more passable than the Star Wars prequels. At least it kind of felt like Indiana Jones to some extent. Spielberg tried, but he was just dragging a safe in Lucas's ideas.

Disagree. I think that outside some occasional bad acting and corny dialogue, the prequels weren't that bad. In fact, I think Revenge of the Sith is better than Jedi. The last Indiana Jones movie was just godawful. I hated it.

Agreed. Lucas' visuals in the prequel were great. The films were visually stunning. It's said he will be a consultant but who the hell knows how much input he will really have.

Now, that said, if Disney gets the right people this could be good. I imagine about 100 30 something screenwriters are furiously typing away right now. There are a ton of filmmakers in my age group who grew up with Star Wars and would do well.

As much as I bitch, I still intend to see this opening night. Really, really, really drunk. Two thousand beers.

And yes, I will be there opening night.

But it does negate the higher budget features.maybe if Cinderella 2 was an isolated incident,i could agree with you, but there is far more than one sequel to that one.plus don't get me stated on what a shit-fest Pixar has turned into.

True. SNL had a great short several years ago about all the crappy direct to video sequels Disney was releasing. I guess we'll see. I could be wrong on this. I also see the fact that Kennedy is still aboard, along with the positive relationship the company has had with George for years as reasons for hope.

The right way to do it is a betting line: U2 NEW ALBUM -2 (years) over NEW STAR WARS?

2013? I think it'd be close.

wait...... why the strike out on Redtails?

as a money loser?

Just as a franchise no one would ever want to buy.

I hated most iof the Thrawn Trilogy bleah

the art psychoanalysis was one of most interesting asopects.

Well, keep Thrawn's art predilection, but IIRC in the books he'd look at one random artist from a culture and then precisely anticipate how that culture's general would react in combat. That part is a little too silly for me. But hey! Whatever works. I anticipate there's a lot of geeks out there worrying about PRESERVING THE CANON at the expense of making a good story.

I'm not sure whether to react defensively or with amusement.

Either way, apparently you have no rebuttal.

Elaborating further on my point, I'm somewhat relieved that Kathleen Kennedy is going to be in charge, as she's old school, having worked with Spielberg for much of his career. And yeah, they may get a great writer who can recapture some of the zip of the Lawrence Kasdan-penned scripts. But what concerns me the most is hiring some flavor of the month director who totally ignores the classic style of the previous films. These should not be handheld, in your face, ADD edited pictures. If they brought Spielberg himself in, fine with me.

That combo would be the biggest pop culture event imaginable.

Disagree. I think that outside some occasional bad acting and corny dialogue, the prequels weren't that bad. In fact, I think Revenge of the Sith is better than Jedi. The last Indiana Jones movie was just godawful. I hated it.

My disclaimer here is that I'm actually a bigger Indy fan than SW fan. So, I probably have that bias. Indy was out of sync for sure. I liked it enough when it came out, but it feels much more forced and cheesier than the 80's films. Shia shouldn't have been in it and, from what I understand, much better stories were tossed aside in favor of a feeble attempt at 50's sci-fi.

Sith was the only one I felt held a candle to the original three. Visually, I was torn. I thought just about every other frame of the Phantom Menace was a pure eyesore, though much of the series did indeed exhibit superior craftmanship. The main thing I find unforgivable is that I can't think of one character I cared a whole lot about in the prequels. Most of the actors seemed miserably miscast and every performance was horribly wooden (if not flat out bad). Far from the cast of colorful, memorable characters I grew up with in the 80's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom