The Star Wars Thread, Ep II: Blu or Blu Not, There is No Original Theatrical Release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this is going to take place mostly in Outer Rim places like Tattooine (obviously we know Mos Eisley and Mos Espa are ripe with this type of activity), or will there be Blade Runner type stuff on Coruscant like we saw in Attack of the Clones.

I'm down for whatever.

I could see it being a mix of both. It would be fascinating for them to go into more detail on certain bounty hunters, or learn more about the Hutts.

I could see this being either wonderful or terrible. I hope it is one of those short-season shows like on HBO or Showtime.

They should have adapted the X-Wing books into a serialized TV show a la re-imagined Battlestar Galactica.

Is it wrong that I think the whole "hey there are thousands of Jedi" thing is kind of lame? I loved the original trilogy because it was all about civil war with awesome machines and pilots and legions of troops and stuff. Obi and Vader and Luke were badass because the Jedi were extinct.

The prequels gave us robots fighting emotionless clones fighting little robots that landed on the hull of your fighter fighting robot starfighters fighting space busses crewed by emotionless clones fighting ground-based laser spider robots fighting emotionless clones fighting tiny battlebot robots.

When the emotional stakes for the viewer are essentially zero, what's there to get jazzed about, gang?

I also found it retarded how, in 20 years, the Jedi went from being abundant and well respected throughout the galaxy to obscure, misunderstood, old magicians. That smug cunt who got force choked in ANH was old enough to remember the Jedi; Not even a generation had passed. They should've already been on their way out in the prequels to have that make any sense. Or at the very least have been a small, clandestine group. That has always bugged me

This might sound silly, but I'll share anyways. Today, I bought te OT on VHS in the blue Vader box for $3 and I almost cried from pure joy. When I was a kid, this was the copy of Star Wars I owned, and it was my favorote thing in the universe. Holding the slip case to A New Hope in my hands again after all this time was just so awesome. Anyways...I'm watching A New Hope for the first time in ages. So excited.

Watching these on VHS? :wink:

Something very endearing about that while everybody else is still flipping out over their blu-ray sets.

Oh hell! I never caught the fact that Leia yells, "It's a trap!" long before our fishy friend.

Agreed. I watched the first 5 or 6 minutes, and it was interesting. A cool idea. But no way could I watch the whole thing. I clicked out of that shit.

I clicked around to different points since I don't think I have the attention span to make it through the whole movie (although it seems to be made for short attention spans). It's generally humorous and sometimes hilarious. And it sure beats the hell out of the Phantom Menace.

This might sound silly, but I'll share anyways. Today, I bought te OT on VHS in the blue Vader box for $3 and I almost cried from pure joy. When I was a kid, this was the copy of Star Wars I owned, and it was my favorote thing in the universe. Holding the slip case to A New Hope in my hands again after all this time was just so awesome. Anyways...I'm watching A New Hope for the first time in ages. So excited.

I still have this set too, despite owning the DVDs.

I'm going to see Phantom Menace 3D tomorrow night with one of my best friends, who I actually went with on opening night to see it in its original release in '99. Pretty excited, actually. Pumped to hear "Duel of the Fates" in some big theater surround sound again.

(And to look at 17 year old Natalie on the big screen again.)

Gonna go Monday morning when 3D is cheapest. You have no idea how excited I am...oh wait, maybe you do.

I try not to pay too much attention to what Lucas says in interviews. The proof is in the film. The Special Edition started the whole "Han shot first!" movement but in subsequent editions Lucas has edited it closer to blur the perspective of what happens in that scene. To me, these adjustments were a clear concession to fan outcry; he claims that he's fixing his original intention. Whatever, the way it is now looks fine to me.

I'm going to partially enjoy / partially heckle TPM with my old roommate on Tuesday. Though I still contend with certain deletions and a different screenwriter it'd be a worthy set up for the story.

Well that was fun. Kind of stopped noticing the 3D at times. It didn't matter too much because I thought they did a good job overall, and I find this to be a pleasurable film to watch. Even the choices I find idiotic I just roll my eyes at and don't get angry or anything. Liam Neeson still owns. And I honestly do feel that Jake Lloyd works fine in at least half of his lines.

It was also disturbing to realize how much of the lines I know by heart. That's what happens when you see something in the theatre 9 times (now 10), I guess.

I read one review where the writer said Episodes II and III are going to be a lot more engaging on the 3D front because there's more action in each. And since those films were shot digitally I imagine they will look even better with this digital tinkering.

I hope so. I would have rather just seen it in 2-D again, because noticing all of the times where the 3-D dropped out was taking me out of the experience.

And what an odd experience it was. On the one hand, I was so excited to see Star Wars in theaters again, but, this was strange. I've always been a pretty strong proponent for Phantom Menace, but this time, all I could do was be embarrassed for some of the shitty shitty dialogue, all of the random, unnecessary exposition and painfully obvious foreshadowing. It was kind of a bittersweet night for me.

Took 7 yr old Mini Hewson to see Phantom Menace today. 3D was pretty good, funny thing was that the thing that seemed to pop the most in 3D was the subtitles when Anakin was talking to Watto and Sebulba.
Battle between Darth Maul and Qui Gonn/Obi Wan was cool in 3D.

Hadn't seen the film start to finish since it original release, better than I remembered it overall, still the biggest issue was how over the top goofy Jar Jar was, had Lucas just not made him such a clod the film would have been much better received.

And Jake Lloyd at 10 yrs old or whatever had more chemistry with Portman than Hayden Christensen did in the next 2 films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom