The Star Wars Thread, Ep II: Blu or Blu Not, There is No Original Theatrical Release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is Jaime King.

I enjoyed that. Bill Hader had some good moments. His Alec Guinness is pretty great.

And, of course, Emma Stone is a fox.

It's starting to bug me how Emma Stone gets hotter every time I see her.

My copy was stolen off of my front porch, hopefully everyone else is enjoying theirs.

My copy was stolen off of my front porch, hopefully everyone else is enjoying theirs.

Lost a box set, Master T-Bag has. How embarrassing… how embarrassing.

Seriously though, that's the worst thing I've heard all day. Sorry, man. Will Amazon take care of it?

I HAZ IT.

Amazon sent me an email yesterday saying it shipped, and it arrived today.

Really classy packaging. I love the character family picture inside the back cover. Sad that Nien Nunb didn't make the cut, especially when that dancing chick who gets killed by the Rancor is in there. Also, no Lobot? Come on.

Luckily I buy a ridiculous amount of things from Amazon, so they gave me no grief whatsoever about my claim, and immediately sent a replacement. Should be here Tuesday morning.

Checked out the first 30m of Empire, plus the entirety of the Luke-Vader duel. It really does look phenomenal, especially being able to clearly see the dirt/wear & tear on the Rebel costumes and vehicles. Makes the world even more lived-in.

Then I popped in the prequel bonus disc and watched all the interviews and deleted scenes for Eps 1 & 2. Really enjoyed the former, which had some nice "looking back" sit-downs with Rob Knoll, Doug Chiang (great deal of insight re: world design & architecture), and Dennis Muren.

The deleted scenes were slight, simply because they didn't include the ones already found on the original DVDs. Most of them are under 30 seconds and contain a single story beat. I did like the one with Obi-Wan in the Jedi library with the librarian discussing Count Dooku. There's also an extended scene of the arena battle with the long-rumored Attack On The Droid Control Ship, but the effects arent completed on it (the large majority of these scenes are in rough form).

Tonight I'll look at the Sith extras and then dig into the ones from the OT.

Watched AOTC last night, aside from a few obviously cool moments I really can't wait till I get up to the original three. It really does look impressive on blu ray, most impressive.

A few cool moments?

* the opening assassination attempt
* the stake-out
* the speeder chase
* the nightclub/capture of Zam Wessell
* Obi-Wan tours Kamino
* Anakin tracks down his mother/attacks Tusken Raiders
* Obi-Wan fights Jango Fett
* Asteroid chase/sonic grenades
* Dooku captures Obi-Wan
* heroes vs. monsters
* Jedi arena battle
* Obi-Wan & Anakin vs. Dooku
* Yoda vs. Dooku
* Dooku joins Sidious on Coruscant

I go back to Harry Knowles' oft-ridiculed statement after his first viewing: arguably the most purely entertaining film in the entire saga. I don't think it hits the highs of A New Hope, Empire, or Sith, and it handled the romance angle poorly (though I don't dislike all of that material) but there are a LOT of great scenes, and I don't know if I've ever heard a theatre audience squealing with glee as loud as they did when Yoda appeared during the final duel.

A few cool moments?

* the opening assassination attempt
* the stake-out
* the speeder chase
* the nightclub/capture of Zam Wessell
* Obi-Wan tours Kamino
* Anakin tracks down his mother/attacks Tusken Raiders
* Obi-Wan fights Jango Fett
* Asteroid chase/sonic grenades
* Dooku captures Obi-Wan
* heroes vs. monsters
* Jedi arena battle
* Obi-Wan & Anakin vs. Dooku
* Yoda vs. Dooku
* Dooku joins Sidious on Coruscant

* 20 year old Natalie Portman

* the opening assassination attempt - Lame
* the stake-out - Lame
* the speeder chase - Super Lame
* the nightclub/capture of Zam Wessell - Ok
* Obi-Wan tours Kamino - Cool
* Anakin tracks down his mother/attacks Tusken Raiders - Cool
* Obi-Wan fights Jango Fett - Awesome
* Asteroid chase/sonic grenades - Cool
* Dooku captures Obi-Wan - I cant even remember!
* heroes vs. monsters - Lame
* Jedi arena battle - Decent
* Obi-Wan & Anakin vs. Dooku - Decent
* Yoda vs. Dooku - AMAZING
* Dooku joins Sidious on Coruscant - Meh

Not shitting on your opinion at all. Just contrasting mine with yours. I find AOTC to be the least satisfying of the six.

I've said it before, but when I saw that movie in theaters, I thought it was the greatest thing I'd ever seen, but I have yet to be able to sit through the whole thing a second time, I get SO bored by the last 30-40 minutes.

My absolute favourite moment of the entire series is the end of Empire Strikes Back. The most perfect ending ever. The music. The loose ends. The emotion. The simplicity. The way the credits kick in. Absolutely perfect and gives me goosebumps everytime.

Actually, now that I think of it, the beginning of ESB is damn near perfect as well. What a solid movie

My favorite moment will always be the end of Return of the Jedi from when Luke and Vader talk before they go see the Emperor til the end when Vader asks to look at Luke with his own eyes. That was the very first bit of Star Wars I ever saw (My dad had been watching it and I came in at that part), and it still sticks with me as my favorite part.

And I ordered the Blu-Ray today. w00t!

Might do a IV-VI marathon this weekend

Not shitting on your opinion at all. Just contrasting mine with yours. I find AOTC to be the least satisfying of the six.

Unfortunate that you're such a fan of Empire and its "loose ends", and yet can't appreciate the noir elements found in the opening stretch of Clones. That explosion at the beginning sets a paranoid tone that is held very well through the photography/color scheme and the music. I can understand not liking the colorful slapstick nature of the speeder chase, but it gets dark again once they're on the ground. Then you have Zam Wessell getting shot before she can reveal any information, reminds me a lot of The Big Sleep or The Maltese Falcon.

Clones is probably my favorite of the prequels these days for whatever it's worth. Like Laz says, just really entertaining in parts, lots of opportunities for fun visual design and varied environments.

My absolute favourite moment of the entire series is the end of Empire Strikes Back. The most perfect ending ever. The music. The loose ends. The emotion. The simplicity. The way the credits kick in. Absolutely perfect and gives me goosebumps everytime.

Actually, now that I think of it, the beginning of ESB is damn near perfect as well. What a solid movie

I hope Lando gave Han his outfit back after he got done wearing it.

Unfortunate that you're such a fan of Empire and its "loose ends", and yet can't appreciate the noir elements found in the opening stretch of Clones. That explosion at the beginning sets a paranoid tone that is held very well through the photography/color scheme and the music. I can understand not liking the colorful slapstick nature of the speeder chase, but it gets dark again once they're on the ground. Then you have Zam Wessell getting shot before she can reveal any information, reminds me a lot of The Big Sleep or The Maltese Falcon.

I think it's less the idea of those elements and more the execution. The explosion at the beginning should've had more impact than that. Might've been ruined by the dreadful dialogue right before it. It's like cool elements are always being ruined by bad choices. The death sticks guy in the Nouveau Cantina scene being a good example.
I'm far from a prequel hater though. I saw PM three times in the theatre, Clones twice...or maybe just once, and Sith two or three times. I was just really disappointed by Clones. It does have some awesome moments though. Actually, I 'meh'ed an awesome moment by accident on your list. When they're looking at all the star destroyers taking off? Amazing.

Anyone find the zooms during the clone wars to be a little out of place? They worked well for what they were, but that technique wasn't used anywhere else in any of the films

Clones is probably my favorite of the prequels these days for whatever it's worth. Like Laz says, just really entertaining in parts, lots of opportunities for fun visual design and varied environments.

If Sith had a better opening it wouldn't be so hard for me to rank. Because everything from the Opera House scene (Palps & Anakin) onward is pretty amazing to me. Obi-Wan vs. Grievous, that music-only scene showing Anakin & Padme in their respective apartments, the Mace-Palps showdown, Order 66, the Jedi purge, Obi-Wan confronts Padme, everything on Mustafar, and the closing montage. That's a hell of a run.

If Sith had a better opening it wouldn't be so hard for me to rank. Because everything from the Opera House scene (Palps & Anakin) onward is pretty amazing to me. Obi-Wan vs. Grievous, that music-only scene showing Anakin & Padme in their respective apartments, the Mace-Palps showdown, Order 66, the Jedi purge, Obi-Wan confronts Padme, everything on Mustafar, and the closing montage. That's a hell of a run.

Shiiiit, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom