The Star Wars Thread, Ep II: Blu or Blu Not, There is No Original Theatrical Release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:
So you find nothing remotely poignant, even superficially so, in Empire? Luke's scenes with Vader in the closing minutes of Jedi? As someone fascinated by dialogue and screenwriting, I'm of the opinion that the most remarkable lines are fairly pithy. In a science fiction context, they tap into some universal truth about humanity and condense the message to a few words, all the while relating to the film's universe. Obviously, you're not going to get an MLK speech out of Star Wars, but there still are many subtly inspirational lines.

I'm not going to spend 5 seconds of my time contrasting those with the prequels because I'm preaching to the choir here, but the only lines from the prequels that truly resonated with me all came from Yoda, and even those were few and far between.

I can't agree with you that Yoda is the only one with anything poignant to say in the prequels.

Not with the emperor's speech in rots, plus obiwan at the end of the film, and I'm also fond of Padme's reflection on the creation of the Empire (though I'm sure some will disagree with that one)

Qui-gon also had great hings to say in Phantom.

The creatures in the prequels, for the most part, looked great. The space sequences looked great. The environments... ALL the environments... looked like fucking shit. And the way the actors were 'immersed' in the environments looked like fucking shit

Jive Turkey said:
The creatures in the prequels, for the most part, looked great. The space sequences looked great. The environments... ALL the environments... looked like fucking shit. And the way the actors were 'immersed' in the environments looked like fucking shit

The one and only thing I like about Clones were the Coruscant scenes, so that one at least was a success, but I Concede that Naboo and the planet from the end of rots (name escapes) were some of the absute worst.

I don't know how you can watch the end of Revenge of the Sith and tell me with a straight face that you don't care about the characters.

Because that's the only part of the prequel trilogy where it actually felt like the same universe as the originals, so I immediately felt nostalgia for them. I'm not a prequel hater; I love Star Wars and some of the sequences, creatures, etc are really cool, but so much of it is embarrassing. Especially Attack of the Clones

Greedo shoots first, Bad Jabba CGI, Sy Snootles redo, Hayden ghost, Luke screaming like a girl as he falls, Darth yelling NOOOOO! at the end of ROTJ, . . . If you think any of these jacked up changes are anything short of an abomination, I have no idea what to tell you.

...and blinking Ewoks lol

Lucas has said before that he considers dialogue to be just one element of the soundtrack, secondary to the music and probably the sound design as well. These films are watched around the world, often not even in English. So ultimately, how good the line deliveries are isnt as important as the other things.

So wait.. are you agreeing with Lucas or simply stating his opinion?

1. Lucas only wrote A New Hope by himself, and he has no writing credit on Empire.

2. In the most recent edit of the OT (from the Blu-ray release), Greedo does not shoot first. They fire at the same time. IIRC the Jabba CGI was updated at some point.

Jive Turkey said:

I should definitely explain that I'm very irritable right now, because I am stuck in the car with an infant and a 5 year old on a 16 hour trip, but my posts about he dialogue weren't meant to be baiting. I realize you were addressing laz here, but what I'm trying to say is that I do see where Lucas is coming from: I remember the visuals more fondly than I do the dialogue, s not by an expansive margin.

Somewhere along the line, Lucas got it in his head that the prequels mirroring the OT was some sort of genius idea. Then he just ate that idea... filled his throat gobbler with it, if you will...and shat it out all over the place

2. In the most recent edit of the OT (from the Blu-ray release), Greedo does not shoot first. They fire at the same time.

And how does this benefit the story telling? Why not just go back to the original way where Han comes off looking like a stone cold bad ass? Lucas is just being stubborn

IIRC the Jabba CGI was updated at some point.

true. still horrible, however

I agree with him in that the music and sound design are what made this resonate globally more so than the dialogue. Is it unimportant? No. But people act like it's an element that should be given greater or equal weight with this type of film, and that's foolish to me.

I should definitely explain that I'm very irritable right now, because I am stuck in the car with an infant and a 5 year old on a 16 hour trip, but my posts about he dialogue weren't meant to be baiting. I realize you were addressing laz here, but what I'm trying to say is that I do see where Lucas is coming from: I remember the visuals more fondly than I do the dialogue, s not by an expansive margin.

lol u called ElMel an infant.

I like this. I've read a lot of the books that came out before like 2002. I like the visuals in the prequels but hate the acting in most of it. Here's hoping they get some people who can do visuals, coax acting, write an arc, and handle dialogue.

lazarus said:
I really hope Lucas had a clause in the Disney contract that they can't release the theatrical versions.

I was wondering about that.
If he didn't, and Disney as bad as I think they are, expect the original trilogy on blu next week.

1) I thought the official lines is that they don't exist any more.

2) That's the thinking of a Lucas apologist, not a Star Wars fan.

I don't remember hearing they were destroyed, but who knows.

And I have a lot of issues with choices Lucas has made going way back. By for me, the good outweighs the bad. And I enjoy watching prequel-haters and rigid traditionalists whine and suffer.

I don't remember hearing they were destroyed, but who knows.

I can't remember the exact wording, but yeah . . . apparently the original prints that existed from 1977 - 1997 no longer exist. Hence the laser disk transfer needed for the "original version" DVDs from a few years bad. Hard to accept.

Presumably without the Special Editions and the prequels, we wouldn't be talking about "episode 7", we'd be talking about casting for a reboot.

a reboot can get fucked right in the eye

save that shit for star trek

it's only 3 movies, man

those SFX are soooooo ooldddddddd

I'm not sure post 9/11 audiences can handle Han shooting first

Mos Eisley's a little empty if you catch my drift can we fix this?

*sips on drink loudly*

Movie popcorn? I'm in!
:lol:

George Lucas' personal touch is responsible for the visual sophistication of the prequels, which maintain a formal integrity coming from one experienced director handling all three (something the OT sorely lacks). Return Of The Jedi's flat, uninspired look is what you may get without that involvement.

Because these films are meant for international audiences, I'm a lot more concerned with how these sequels are visualized than potential lame dialogue. So, the dumb jokes and corny lines we lose with Lucas stepping down might not be worth also losing his gifts as a storyteller through moving images.

I see what you mean by visual integration re the Prequals but what was was it visually that you found flat in ROTJ? (not counting the semi-ridiculousness of the ewoks <tho the tree houses/bridges were awesome>). Certainly the baiting of Luke and subsequent duel with the Emparor was pretty awesome!

ESB is the one i really love in the end, with the all the others being like, like alot with scenes I really love in all of them. AND ANH was the kick-off world/universe bulder.

I'd like to see some cameos with the OT charactors while focusing on ?? their kids as young adults foward in #7, rebuilding the Jedi, and possibly changing some of the Jedi code and also bringing in one or two new other sapient Jedi as major charactors. Maybe hidden Empirests ready to make a come.

But it does negate the higher budget features.maybe if Cinderella 2 was an isolated incident,i could agree with you, but there is far more than one sequel to that one.plus don't get me stated on what a shit-fest Pixar has turned into.

:eyebrow: What Pixar movies are you complaing about? Other than Cars 2 ....

Regarding hidden empirests : iirc, a lot of the AU books focus on the fact that by killing the emperor, they didn't destroy the entire force of his army, and they become a good portion of he villainy.

As for Pixar: two Toy Story sequels, Cars 2, monsters University (one of the biggest offenders)

ooops i've forgotten what iirc means

ah maybe i'l have look at the intro blurbs on the backs of the paperbacks to see what might interest me.
and Shadows of the Empire.

i liked toy story 2, but didn't see 3.

:ohmy:
did i miss MU? (as out of regular action for 5 months with a fractured ankle)

I was still unable to get around when Brave came out but i liked the trailers i saw of Brave, and would have gone to see it.

I missed ratatoulie my extra $ often goes to art & craft supplies first. I did see part of it on tv and liked what i saw!

Up, Wall-E are hands down Superb.

So for me 1 definite like, a poterntial like and 2 Superbs is stll a fine record. i feel like i'm missing one tho. Tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom