The 'Star Wars' Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Artoo pleading for his memory to stay intact? Making a deal with the Jawas? Didn't we see him electrocuted by them in A New Hope?

And of course, Chewbacca as a spy for the rebellion.

:rolleyes:

Not happening, at least on my end. I kept having to convert formats to get it into Final Cut and it looked like crap when I finally burned and projected it.

I'm not sure why taking a 7 gig DVD and ripping the scenes to put on a 4.5 gig DVD-R should be such a hassle, and require such complicated conversions (not to mention like 60 gigs of drive space) but that was the story, at least the way we were doing it.

If you know another way, please share.

Hmm, I actually haven't ever tried ripping from a DVD for editing, so I couldn't tell you. Did YLB give up on this too?

I'm not sure, though he seemed to have a newer version of Final Cut that was allowing him to import different formats. Mine wouldn't take the initial ripped files; I can't even remember what kind they were now.

I thought this would be a fairly common practice but I had a hard time finding the info online.

I cracked a decent way of ripping and putting it into Final Cut on a new project.

Get Handbrake, rip the individual scenes at 100% using .m4v or do 62% for the whole movie.
Then open up Compressor and import the file.
Select target at Apple ProRes 422 (HQ, if you want)
Make a destination
Send the batch to convert and it should be good for Final Cut usage.

You still may have to render once you get in, but it should yield quality results.

And for exporting to a DVD, send the finished project back to Compressor, go to DVD and find Best Quality __ minutes (the length of the finished project) and it should fit on a DVD. At the very least, a dual-layer disc.

Since we're talking Star Wars...have these ever been released in either HD or BluRay? And is there any word on them being released in BluRay if not?

The Clone Wars movie and series are either already on Blu or about to be released soon. No word yet on the actual films. My guess is that it'll probably coincide with the premiere of the live-action series, but not any time soon.

It took 7 years for the OT to hit DVD.

The Clone Wars movie and series are either already on Blu or about to be released soon. No word yet on the actual films. My guess is that it'll probably coincide with the premiere of the live-action series, but not any time soon.

It took 7 years for the OT to hit DVD.

Yeah I thought Clone Wars was out. Definitely something to look forward to. I know somewhere I have the original VHS release of ANH, it will be fun to contrast that with Blu when it comes.

Phantom Menace is on spike right now. Pod race, mother fuckers :rockon:

*CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG*

PM - with a different actor for Anakin, less podrace (keep the concept, don't take up so much time and have annoying American like sports commentary), and you have a great prequel. There's still a lot to like about it though.

Clones, better but CGI overload.

Sith, probably my second favorite in the series, Shakespearian almost watching everything fall apart into what you knew had to happen.

I think people should always watch them the way they came out, the experience must be so different 1-6, but then again the fight for redemption of Anakin must feel much more difficult to attain if you watch it in that order rather than end first, beginning later.

For me, the order to watch will always be the order of release.....as you say, knowing how Sith ends just adds to the tragedy, at least as I see it.

The only time I talk about the prequels is on this site. Whenever it comes up away from this site, and of course that's not too often, I just keep my mouth shut. Just too much effort to defend the films and ultimately not worth it; who really cares if people like them or not? I like them, good enough.

True that, and the reason why I'd never take to defending them on forums skewing more towards the hardcore SW fans. They aren't perfect, but there's a lot to enjoy. I think if someone else had written the dialog (Empire anyone?), and they toned down some of the CG, they would have been on the same level as the originals. It wasn't Lucas' direction that hurt them.

Oh well I'm in full agreement with him then, this is just honestly the first time I've ever discussed SW on Interference. I guess you could say the obsession I had as a kid is in remission haha. But the love will always be there.

I'm certainly not obsessed, but, I'm still a big fan and it's not just a nostalgia thing. Empire is, for me, hands down the best action film I've ever seen and there's no way it could ever get stale. A New Hope and Sith are the next in line, then Jedi, Clones, Menace.

Lance gets pissy cos the random movie thread inevitably devolves into a Star Wars discussion, or at the very least the films get referenced very often. He has a point, hence this thread.

I think Laz even went so far as to post a number of shots from the prequels that are just wonderfully framed, etc, and evidence that the direction is better than people think. Could be in this very thread somewhere, not sure. The shot of Boba holding Jango's helmet was one of them, I think.

ETA - Haha! I posted this before Lance's comment. He cannot help himself.

That's the only thing that made me hesitate from saying that, but given the dialog and the caliber of the cast... I don't think anyone's going to improve that without a rewrite. And some of them do quite well like Macgregor and even Samuel L Jackson, I thought Christensen did a very good job in Sith as well.

Lance is correct in that Lucas is to blame for some of the performances. You certainly can't blame the actors, who are all good at various times (even Jake Lloyd).

It appears to me that Lucas isn't patient or perceptive enough to wait for the right line readings, and just "prints" (a term that's irrelevant with digital, but I can't think of an equivalent) anything that's close. There are many Christiansen lines where the emphasis isn't even on the right word, and you can't just chalk it up to him being Canadian scum.

Of course, I judge directors primarily by their images, and Lucas framed this films better than almost every other director could have, so I'll take it with the flaws.

It appears to me that Lucas isn't patient or perceptive enough to wait for the right line readings, and just "prints" (a term that's irrelevant with digital, but I can't think of an equivalent) anything that's close. There are many Christiansen lines where the emphasis isn't even on the right word, and you can't just chalk it up to him being Canadian scum.

Canadian Scum :up:

Christiansen bothered me the most about the prequels - even more than Jar Jar if you can believe it. The problem I have is that he has talent and yet it wasn't properly used, almost every scene with him in it that involved him speaking was cringe inducing for me.

Lucas announced that all the films will come out on Blu-Ray in Fall 2011.

Apparently they might be finally dusting off a lot of those deleted scenes from the original trilogy for this release. Lucas showed one of them (from ROTJ) at Star Wars Celebration and it found its way onto Youtube, at least for the moment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJ0E7HbTKc&feature=player_embedded

Funny, at first I thought that was the Emperor, not Luke.

Not sure exactly what is so 'scream-until-I-shit-my-pants' about that scene, but ohok. It's cool they still have full completed scenes lying around like that though.

It's the kind of mythology SW moment that is total geek fodder. I can understand why people would get excited about it.

And it really should have been in the original cut.

Help me out - where is that scene supposed to be? Is that the beginning of ROTJ, before Luke shows up to rescue Han on Tatooine?

Back
Top Bottom