The Space Shuttle breaks up over Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
Space Shuttle Missing over Texas

My dad called me about 20 minutes ago to wake me up and tell me the news. This doesn't look good as I sit here watching the video of multiple contrails splitting off. I have seen the shuttle fly over Texas once in the past.

I didn't even know it was landing this morning and that it would be visible over Dallas. This is one time I'm glad I didn't make an effort to get up early to see the landing :sad:

Hello,

I also just heard about the situation. God bless those 7 people in there. It's a sad day as NASA loses another space shuttle (after the Challenger in 1986).

:(

Marty

This is sad, almost exactly 17 years after Challenger. And wasn't there a teacher on this flight coming home today too?

Sleep, sleep tonight.
And may your dreams
Be realized
If the thunder cloud
Passes rain.
So let it rain, rain down him.
So let it be.

Popmartijn said:
God bless those 7 people in there.

:sad:

I was just looking back at my pictures that I took of the shuttle when I saw it fly over Texas back in 1999...I had forgotten which shuttle it was, but after I looked it up, ironically it was indeed the Columbia (different crew) that I took pictures of back then. :(

NASA is going to have a press conference in about 25 minutes (scheduled at 10:30 central time...11:30 eastern)

Wow - so sad......I don't usually pay a whole lot of attention to the space stuff anymore, but I had actually heard about this flight because it took up the first Jewish astronaut, one from Israel.
Maybe it's time to retire the Columbia name :(

sad news
I remember the first ever space shuttle flew west to east right across our evening sky. I drove down to clear land to get a good view and was very excited about the whole thing. There was no mistaking what it was...I gave the astronauts a wave, even though I knew they were sleeping, and wished them a safe journey.
I remember being in primary school and watching Neil Armstrong's one small step...
Some Australian school kids finally got one of their experiments successfully launched on this last shuttle mission. They , along with a lot of other people, would have been waiting for the astronauts safe return.
Shocking.
Condolences to their family.

Last edited:
I just heard a report on the local news station on tv that it is believed that a house in Plano, a suburb just about 15-20 minutes north of here, was hit by a piece of debris and a fire started. Also a small heat tile was found at Rice High School, in Rice Texas in Navarro county, south of Dallas.

I don't believe that we should cancel the shuttle mission because of this event...I hope this doesn't slow down the program...each shuttle is designed for over 100 missions, so it wasn't a matter of this shuttle being too old. Space is our final frontier, sadly there will be accidents and tragedies, but we can't let it slow down or cancel it all together.

I am a member of the Texas Astronomical Society of Dallas so I'm sure I will be hearing many reports about this very sad, tragic event. :(

Last edited:
I remember sitting in a journalism class a few years ago talking about stories that each generation remembers as their first important news story. For our parents, it was Kennedy's assassination. For our generation, it was the Challenger explosion. Can't believe that was 17 years ago.

It is a sad day for us again.

I am in total shock. I could this happen? Please say a prayer for the crew and their families. God Bless them all!

:sad:

Having grown up through the monumental early days of NASA, these tragedies hit me hard

May God's peace and comfort be with the families of the shuttle's crew.

"After reviewing the footage of the explosion there, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be any survivors" :sad:

*lights a candle and says a prayer for the crew and their families*

i just came inside from lowering the library's flag to half staff. it's so very sad...i was hoping not to have to do this again for a very long time...such a sad, sad day.

Those astronauts on the space shuttle... God bless them. They are real heroes. They had a dream, and they made this dream come true. The fascination of space and exploring space will never cease to be, for all nations in this world.

This is a tragic event. The Columbia was the first Space Shuttle of all. I was so impressed by it when I was a child. The sucesses were of the space flights were fascinating for many different people in all the world. The Columbia, therefore, was a part of the true America. A peacefully exploring America.

I loved the Columbia. It had 22 missions under its belt. And swoosh, in a millisecond all of this turned into a fireball. Poor victims, poor families. God bless them. And God bless the spirit of the Columbia.

Back
Top Bottom