The Sopranos: The Final Season - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #481
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:07 AM
If I'm paying to watch a story someone is telling me, I want to have an ending, not be forced to imagine the rest of their script for them. Sorry but that was a pretty lackluster final season for a show that was incredible.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #482
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:07 AM
I am satisfied with the ending

one thing this series did better than most

it told us why people are they way they are

I liked how when Tony met with A J's therapist he started getting into his own issues again

I believe the sessions with Melfi did him some good, as an outlet

I also, liked the way it showed his relationships with Janet and even Junior

I am glad they did not try and wrap it up nice and neat.

I personally don't believe anyone got killed after the black out.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #483
Refugee

Local Time: 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
found this on a blog...

UPDATE: If you REALLY want some closure, here's a theory circulating on the HBO boards that has some validity:

"I tried to post this on the forum; however, my internet is lame here at work, anyway... posted at the HBO boards:

"So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the black guys at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?)."

Not true. The guy sitting at the bar owns a pizza place and this was his first time on the show.

that just about sums it up.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:11 PM   #484
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
You how in the EYNIW forum, how people sometimes say that U2 could release a CD of themselves farting and some people would still call it brilliant? That's the exact feeling I'm getting reading the posts from the few of you here that are using words like 'brilliant' and 'genius' to describe this ending.

yes, i do know that feeling, and, no, that's not what's going on here, imo.

the more i think about it, the more i think it works on an intellectual level. and i think the viewer is whacked, and i also think that David Chase is telling us to turn of the damned television set.

there's so much to be read into this, and it's precisely the opposite of the "6 Fee Under" finale which was gorgeous and sad and beautiful. and final. and wrapped up and concluded and the message clear as a bell.

the show has remained a challenge to the end. love it or hate it, i can understand all sides, but so long as you were provoked into *thinking* something, then it has done it's job.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #485
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
the show has remained a challenge to the end. love it or hate it, i can understand all sides, but so long as you were provoked into *thinking* something, then it has done it's job.

I know I've enjoyed talking and reading about it today.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #486
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:07 AM
^ what he said
Old 06-11-2007, 05:37 PM   #487
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64

But to play devil's advocate (I think), why would you say Chase's ending was a cop out? You wanted to know what happened to everyone and whether they lived happily ever after or if the family got whacked, etc.? That was never gonna happen. He left it open to interpretation, no? You can think they got whacked (which would be pretty "final"), or life went on. The constant tension & living in fear. But that's for you to decide.

did that make sense?
I agree
Old 06-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #488
Blue Crack Addict

I suspected they were going for a Godfather II ending with everyone getting whacked

a Six Feet Under ending may have satisfied many viewers

but, they both would have been wrong.
and called copies or cop-outs.

The Sopranos should be judged on 8 years and not one episode.

The thing about the Sopranos

is that the whole series kind of ebb and flowed

some real tense episodes and some where we say not much happened

I think many seem to only recall the ones they liked

well, the ending was fine

we are let in on the fact and the feeling that every waking moment - Tony must forever keep his guard up
Old 06-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #489
Forum Moderator

I'm still not sure what the ending meant, all I know is I thought about it all night and a lot of today.

So if anything, for me it was very thought provoking.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #490
Blue Crack Distributor

I keep getting confused when people say 8 years of The Sopranos, because I forget the 6 seasons were spread out over 8 years.

<---is lame and kinda weird
Old 06-11-2007, 06:17 PM   #491
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
"6 Fee Under" finale which was gorgeous and sad and beautiful. and final. and wrapped up and concluded and the message clear as a bell.
And that's what this finale should have been. I'm all for thought-provoking, believe me, but thought-provoking doesn't have to mean 'no conclusion'.

I want to see an ending. I don't want to be brought up to the point where the ending is supposed to be and then told 'Ok, now make up your own ending'.

How difficult is it to leave it all up to the viewer? These writers are paid a shitload of money to WRITE, and that's what they should have done.

I'm not asking for a Mary-Tyler-Moore-group-hug here. I'm just asking for AN ending. We didn't get any ending at all.

I've read in multiple places the phrase 'passive aggressive' to describe Chase's approach to this finale. He doesn't like the fact that the fans that have made his show a hit want some semblance of a conclusion, so he decides to throw a giant wtf out there at the end and then he left the country before the finale aired to avoid the media.

It's a cop-out. The ending of a story is ultimately the taste that's left in your mouth when you think back to that story many years later, and it feels like Chase and co. couldn't think of an ending that would satisfy everyone so they decided to just not have an ending.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:19 PM   #492
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

The Sopranos should be judged on 8 years and not one episode.
That's what I've been thinking today, while reading the venom out there on the internets. Even without the final minute, the episode had so many positives. I know AJ has been a whiny bitch, but it was interesting seeing his story resolved somewhat, and how Tony and Carm took the easy way out with him, and led him back into a life that they are more familiar with, rather than the path he was contemplating. Paulie was more likable to me than he's been in a long time. The scenes with him and the cat were hilarious. Janice and Tony's visit had parts that were wistful and sweet. Her comment about having to snag another husband, then quickly adding that Tony is the only one who would get that it's a joke. Seconds later, she's back into denial mode, saying she's a good mother, despite Livia. The visit with Junior - how sad when Tony realized the degree of his deterioration. And the part we were all waiting for, Phil's demise.

I know it's purely a subjective thing, but I keep thinking to myself that if we were to truly think T and family were taken out in the diner, there would have been stronger hints that this was the case. Chase could have done this while still leaving things ambiguous. Someone earlier posted some of the the lyrics of Don't Stop, and "the movie never ends, it goes on and on..." part really stood out to me. I think Tony and both families will go on and on, in their delightfully fucked-up, deluded, dysfunctional way.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #493
Refugee

^ some very valid points.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #494
ONE
love, blood, life

Well like I said before, he's got us talking so in the end, crappy or not he won
Old 06-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #495
War Child

Local Time: 11:07 AM

Now I can't get that Journey song outta my head.

*Do'on't stop... be-leev-in.... hold on to that fee-lay-ee-ang.*