The Sopranos, Season 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[q]How Gay Is Vito?

The Sopranos Plot That Dare Not Speak Its Friggin’ Name, Joe Gannascoli Spotted Gay Mob Story Then, Bottom-Bing! Gandolfini’s Offer, Refused: ‘You Want Me to Talk to Chase?’

By Sara Vilkomerson

Last week, the actor Joseph Ganna-scoli—who, as Vito on The Sopranos, is living out this television season’s only great tragic love story—was tooling around Lynbrook, Long Island, in a new silver Mercedes R350 with a back seat filled with flowering plants. He was wearing a Giants sweatshirt and sneakers, and was taking a reporter on a tour through his neighborhood’s quiet maze of split-level houses and manicured, postage-stamp lawns. He pulled up in front of an unassuming two-story white house, which he and his wife, Diana, moved into last August—the first house the actor has owned, after letting go of a rent-controlled apartment in his old stomping ground of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, after 25 years.

Mr. Gannascoli, who at 47 is still a large man even after losing 160 pounds, removed the plants from the back of the Mercedes and hung them carefully off the branches of a tree on the front lawn. He was stepping gingerly after undergoing hip surgery five weeks earlier. He proudly pointed out some yard work: a mosaic-tiled bird bath and, plunked down in the grass, a large boulder that he thinks looks like a bear. Looking at the boulder, he paused and said, “How long till they write ‘fag’ on it?”

For these days, Mr. Gannascoli is known to Sopranos watchers as “Gay Vito” (or even GaVito, in certain exotic circles). Vito’s reluctant coming-out story line has locked up more Monday-morning chatter than all of Bill Paxton’s polygamist wives and Desperate Housewives shenanigans combined. He is, simply put, a sensation.

http://www.observer.com/20060522/20060522_Sara_Vilkomerson_pageone_observatory.asp

[/q]

it's a really great article, and i particularly loved this quote:

[q]“Being in the restaurant business, you’re with a lot of gays,” he shrugged. “I never had no problem with it—I’m sort of a live-and-let-live kind of guy. I had friends that were like, ‘I’m not meeting you there,’ and I was like, ‘Oh, have a fucking drink at the bar, I’ll be out at 12 and we’ll go out. They’re fucking fun guys, what’s the fucking big deal? And you got hot broads hanging out there—you know, the fag hags.’”[/q]

:lmao:

and i also loved this part:

[q]Mr. Gannascoli insists he doesn’t know Vito’s ultimate fate.

“We filmed four different endings for me,” he said. “They wanted to keep it a secret, even from me. I literally have no idea. But real fans don’t really want to know.” He paused. “We go back to shooting in June, and of course I’m hoping I live. I have a fucking mortgage.”[/q]

i wonder if Vito might not make it to part 2 of season 6. in season 5, it was so inevitable that Adriana was going to die, that i think it would be a nice twist to thwart our expectations and all dramatic signals that Vito is doomed and to let him live, somehow.

Finally caught it last night but had been traveling all day and fell asleep sometime after Vito's make-out scene. I'll try again on the next rerun.

:ohmy: GREAT episode!!!!! I'm afraid to post a spoiler for those who have not seen it yet, but wow only 2 episodes left and they look :drool:

I just watched the last two episodes back to back, since I never got around to watching last weeks episode til now.

and poor Vito :(

joyfulgirl said:
The violence made me ill.

did you find it gratutious -- or honest?

i'm exhausted today and in a bad mood. i don't think i can deal with any sort of real FYM debates today.

:sigh:

while i was expecting the end of Vito i was a little bit disappointed when it happened.

it seems as if each season ends with the inevitable whacking that has been brewing the whole season -- Jackie Jr., Adriana, now Vito -- and for a show that always refuses to pander and often thwarts what we have come to expect from scripted drama, i found it predictable, yet it was worse when it happened than i thought it was going to be. in addition to the kids reading the paper, i thought it devastating when the photographer flipped through the photos of the Slim Club (or whatever it was) and the final shot of the episode was the photo of Vito that was the first shot of him from the first episode of the season, smiling, happy, had just accomplished something.

and it really would be nice to see a drama involving a gay man that didn't involve him either being bashed or dying of AIDS.

Irvine511 said:

did you find it gratutious -- or honest?

:sigh:

I guess it was honest because everyone I was watching it with screamed and looked away. Gratuitous usually leaves me cold.

I had empathy for Vito up until he shot that guy in the back last week and then I realized he's no different from Phil with his prostate cancer and Tony with his therapy and everybody else--they're all horrible creeps who live by violence and die by violence and have real-life problems that we can identify with sometimes. This one happened to be gay and was certainly an interesting twist for that culture. But Vito had to go, and we knew it would be brutal. Still it made me ill.

It was so ugly but real to see everyone talking about how the church is "very clear" on its stance about homosexuality and must be obeyed. Has the church not made its stance on murder and adultery clear lately? LOL

The children were heart-wrenching. :(

joyfulgirl said:

It was so ugly but real to see everyone talking about how the church is "very clear" on its stance about homosexuality and must be obeyed. Has the church not made its stance on murder and adultery clear lately? LOL

great point! i thought the show did a great job getting at this, particularly with Phil's ultra-sanctimonious wife.

As for the violence

we really did not see Vito getting hit
just the swinging pool cues

we did see him bound and gagged
then it cut away

the guy that got stabbed in the kitchen was a much more violent scene
but we were not invested in him or his family and children

joyful makes a good point about others that get killed

a couple a weeks back some Vipers got killed for a few hundred dollars in wine
and it was a big joke
"We're Vipers" ha ha

Tony should be really upset
he expected to get $200,000 from Vito before he had him whacked

deep said:

the guy that got stabbed in the kitchen was a much more violent scene
but we were not invested in him or his family and children

You're right--that's the scene that made us scream and look away, actually, although the noise of beating Vito, the description later of what happened to him, and the scene you mention all added up to leaving an impression of this as an unusually violent episode.

joyfulgirl said:

You're right--that's the scene that made us scream and look away, actually, although the noise of beating Vito, the description later of what happened to him, and the scene you mention all added up to leaving an impression of this as an unusually violent episode.

agreed. it was the sound of the pool cues that made me ill, and my friend and i both yelled and looked away.

it was much more unsettling, i think, than lots of blood.

i also think Tony actually did want to give Vito a pass -- mostly for money, but also because it seemed as if he was genuinely liked by the crew, as evidenced by Silvo's overreaction to the visit by the guy who then got stabbed. i also thought everyone's reaction to Vito's death, and the pool cue, was genuinely sad and not, at first, about Phil overstepping his bounds. it seemed as if much of the "Finook" talk was more bravado than not.

what gets me, though, is how the camera never shys away from what i personally find more upsetting -- Vito (or Adriana) begging for their life, the look of horror when they are confronted with certain death.

Irvine511 said:

what gets me, though, is how the camera never shys away from what i personally find more upsetting -- Vito (or Adriana) begging for their life, the look of horror when they are confronted with certain death.

Yep. I still miss Adriana, too. She was a great character. Vito I felt slightly less sorry for because he was a cold blooded murderer himself but I still feel scarred from seeing Adriana begging for her life and crawling away but at least (as I recall) she was killed quickly and not beat to death. I also thought Vito would be killed off next week instead of this week so I wonder what they are saving for the season finale.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I always felt so terribly sorry for her...

The cameos this season have made me miss her even more. :sad:

With every cameo I get excited thinking somehow she got away and they're bringing her back. Denial is a powerful thing, lol.

joyfulgirl said:

With every cameo I get excited thinking somehow she got away and they're bringing her back. Denial is a powerful thing, lol.

Oh, I know. Wouldn't that have been awesome had it not really been Carm's imagination? :sigh:

When Chris found out that chick was pregnant I thought back to when he and Ade found out she couldn't conceive and the beating he gave her because of that. It's stuff like that, while I'd love to see her come back, makes me sort of happy she's gone, because he made her suffer so much.

I have a feeling that Carmela is going to put two and two together very soon and realize that Tony is indirectly responsible for the deaths of Adriana, Jackie Jr., and Vito. Then the shit is really going to hit the fan!

Back
Top Bottom