The Sopranos, Season 6 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2006, 10:15 PM   #61
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:44 PM
My mom and her boyfriend were bored, but I was telling them that this episode is important. I even said, and I quote, "Not every episode has to be bang em up". See? I'm learning!

They should just hand the Emmy to Edie Falco right now. And AJ... I completely agree, Irvine, I picked up on that immediately.

I'm happy they showed clips from next week, too. Silvio looks quite content to be taking over, doesn't he?

Old 03-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #62
Blue Crack Supplier

i really prefer these kinds of episodes, but i also don't like violence, so perhaps it's just me.

i thought it was very intresting, loved seeing an Alternate Universe Tony, and loved to see AJ actually have more than a few lines and tossing out Livia's old "oh, poor you!"

the other great line, the reporter to AJ: "So could you say that this is like 'growing up Soprano'?"

Old 03-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

another thought -- read a review of the show that said that Tony is in Purgatory ... note the lights flashing in the background when he was up in the hotel room (Heaven) and the raging fires being talked about on the news (Hell). appropriate, then, that he was in Orange County.

here's the review of the episode if anyone cares:

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/sep...280.xml&coll=1
Old 03-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
another thought -- read a review of the show that said that Tony is in Purgatory ... note the lights flashing in the background when he was up in the hotel room (Heaven) and the raging fires being talked about on the news (Hell). appropriate, then, that he was in Orange County.

here's the review of the episode if anyone cares:

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/sep...280.xml&coll=1
That does make it a tad more interesting. I will say though, I thought it was one of the weaker episodes I have seen of the show. That being said, I do prefer when the show is looking at things from the rougher mob angle though so that is probably a major reason.

It will be interesting to see how the power struggle develops from this though. Clearly that is what the next episode is about if the previews are any indication.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:07 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Old 03-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue

Good Stuff
Old 03-26-2006, 10:21 PM   #67
Blue Crack Distributor

I thought tonight's episode was pretty damn good.

:waitsforIrvine:
Old 03-26-2006, 10:49 PM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier

i thought it was good -- it was crucial in advancing the storyline and setting up what is going to be the central tension that will compose the bulk of the rest of the season: inner-family warfare, who is valued more, who matters more to Tony, would life be better (for some) without Tony, and might there be a mutiny now that they have all been forced to contemplate a world without Tony.

i am most curious to see how Tony responds to all of this, as his response to both his time in purgatory and how he responds to his perceptions of how others have responded to his shooting (gosh, that was complex, but so is the show).

loved Carmela's scene with Melfi -- that's going to set up her trajectory for the rest of the season (what has this done to my kids?), and i think Vito is becoming my favorite character, especially since he can't stop talking about his weight loss.

i wonder how AJ's situation is going to resolve itself, as i'm pretty sure he's going to feel the need to prove his manliness in some sort of way.

lots to think about. not a thrilling episdoe, but a crucial one for the storytelling to continue as now we're going to get to Act 2 of a three-party narrative: Act 1 was Tony's shooting; Act 2 will be the response to Tony's shooting; and Act 3, the final 3 or so episodes of the season, will tie together Acts 1 and 2 and resolve the various storylines while opening up new ones for the final 8 episodes in 2007 ... i good storytelling.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:03 PM   #69
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
i good storytelling.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:39 PM   #70
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:44 AM
just watched it tonight. What would I do with out your insights!
Old 03-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
What would I do with out your insights!
Without Irvine's commentary I might not be too excited about this season since the last two episodes have been eh, but l agree it's all necessary set-up. I just want it to start getting good already.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #72
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Without Irvine's commentary I might not be too excited about this season since the last two episodes have been eh, but l agree it's all necessary set-up. I just want it to start getting good already.

I thought the episode Sunday was excellent.

How can you beat Paulie going, "My fuckin' balls!"

Seriously... I thought it was great and the part at the end where he's about to go into the house and he hears Meadow's voice then wakes up, almost chilling.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

i tink the thing to remember is that every Sopranos episode is meticulously constructed -- every line means something, it's all connected, there are always echos of the past (i.e., AJ throwing, "oh, poor you!" at Meadow in the 2nd episode, which is what Livia says to AJ in the 2nd season before going of on her, "what makes you think you're so special, it's all a big nothing, when you die you die in your own arms"), and every single scene does work -- like in the first episode when Carmela shows up to invite Ginny Sack to a day at the spa -- notice how Carmela just casually looks back at the new Porsche that Tony bought her, prompting Ginny to politely ask about her new car. why else did Carmela go over to that house than to flex Tony's earning muscles in Ginny's face while Johnny Sack is in jail?

i also loved Christopher trying to get back into the movie business -- that seems like a bit of a comedic sideplot, and the show is often funnier than we tend to think especially with the writer (remember when he tried to sell his Emmy in Season 5 and the pawn shop told him it was worthless? priceless commentary on how "west wing" kept beating "sopranos" for the best television series award for years) having to listen to the mafioso give him script notes -- i would imagine it was a parody of how writers often feel when they have to deal with the network or studio suits.

also, who was that woman Tony saw in the house? might it have been Livia?

and, is anyone else blown away by the choice of music, especially over the final few minutes of each episode?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:00 PM   #74
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

also, who was that woman Tony saw in the house? might it have been Livia?

and, is anyone else blown away by the choice of music, especially over the final few minutes of each episode?

I immediately thought Livia. When I saw Steve Buscemi I was like, "It's heaven, he's going towards the light!"

The music is amazing, always has been. I see on HBO.com there are links to iTunes if you want to buy songs from that night's episode.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

and, is anyone else blown away by the choice of music, especially over the final few minutes of each episode? [/B]
The Daniel Lanois closing music was wonderful this week.