The "Somewhat Premature" 2010 AFL Thread that is likely to remain awesome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think it would be absolutely brilliant, i would love to see us get it. i'm just up in arms that everything has to be put on hold for two months.

One thing that would interest me would be the attendances for the matches, will they mostly fill up to capacity?

is that a serious question?

Well, yes. Soccer, I don't believe is the most popular sport in Oz since you have AFL, NRL etc. But on second thoughts, people would be so far up into the excitement of the World Cup that it certainly might as well sell out stadiums. So I should've thought twice before asking that question.

No harm in stopping the league for a month or two...something different...can just imagine the bogan letters in the Herald Scum once the World Cup finishes "...at last the wog sport is finished, get on with real footy, for real blokes..." :doh:

What would have been better is if the new Victory Stadium could crack 40,000 capacity, and we could use that and MCG for the World Cup, and the AFL can play at Docklands.

"something different" isn't a reason mate :lol:

Well, yes. Soccer, I don't believe is the most popular sport in Oz since you have AFL, NRL etc. But on second thoughts, people would be so far up into the excitement of the World Cup that it certainly might as well sell out stadiums. So I should've thought twice before asking that question.

no, you raise a very good point.

are 50k+ going to deck out telstra dome to see Ghana v Bahrain, or something? don't think so.

This is where 30k capacity stadiums would come in handy, though i'm not too sure if many of that calibre actually exist in Australia and are of good quality. Whatever it is, there's still time to change things if the country were to win a bid.

This is where 30k capacity stadiums would come in handy, though i'm not too sure if many of that calibre actually exist in Australia and are of good quality. Whatever it is, there's still time to change things if the country were to win a bid.
the minimum stadium size is upwards of 40,000. fifa wouldn't demand that if they didn't know they could fill them.

1994 FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

get a peek at those crowds in a country that cares less about football than australia.

Yep, you're correct. Most (or even all) of those attendances are very, very large.

"something different" isn't a reason mate :lol:

So what if the season ends in November rather than September, not gonna make any difference to anything whatsoever. The last Saturday in September is a load of bollocks anyway (see 1994 and 2000).

And then the Herald Sun comes out with a typical scare campaign about how the whole season will be cancelled for wogball or whatever, wankers. And that 4 clubs are gonna die because of the FIFA World Cup. Sensationalism much?

It'll be one AFL season, and once we snare 2022, we won't probably have another World Cup until 2080 at the earliest.

It'll be awesome.

So what if the season ends in November rather than September, not gonna make any difference to anything whatsoever. The last Saturday in September is a load of bollocks anyway (see 1994 and 2000).

And then the Herald Sun comes out with a typical scare campaign about how the whole season will be cancelled for wogball or whatever, wankers. And that 4 clubs are gonna die because of the FIFA World Cup. Sensationalism much?

It'll be one AFL season, and once we snare 2022, we won't probably have another World Cup until 2080 at the earliest.

It'll be awesome.

it would be a huge deal, ending the season in november. there is a set routine, and with pre-seasons and what not football would be out of whack for at least two years.

it is sensationalism, definitely (mind you- it's not just the herald sun thank you).

i'm all for it - and ian you certainly won our little argument there - but i am viciously against two football codes and god knows what else being put on hiatus.

it's a shame the afl doesn't have an international season to cut into like the nrl does. mind, plenty of nrl players get by with a shortened pre-season because of those commitments.

again though, if you can't be prepared with 9-13 years notice, you aren't good enough at your job.

it's not that black and white though ian.

let me put it this way. when is the announcement for 2022 made (we aren't going to get 2018)? let's say it's in 2012, for argument's sake. we all celebrate.

then fifa goes, "oh, by the way we're taking over your stadiums and restructuring them to suit our needs, just stand over there for a few months".

realistically, yes, something should be sorted in that time frame, but it is not that easy to just build a bunch of supplementary stadiums or something like that.

The way I see it, it should be the World Cup's responsibility to ensure that it does not negatively impact regularly scheduled tournaments of other sports.

Honestly, I don't give two hoots if we get the Cup or not, and if it fucks around the Aussie Rules season, then I don't want it. But I find it VERY hard to believe it would end up fucking the season around severely; with that many years to plan, you'd think alternative arrangements could be made. It's not as if Melbourne's short of AFL venues.

I certainly won't be crying buckets of tears if Australia don't win any of the bids.

The way I see it, it should be the World Cup's responsibility to ensure that it does not negatively impact regularly scheduled tournaments of other sports.

Honestly, I don't give two hoots if we get the Cup or not, and if it fucks around the Aussie Rules season, then I don't want it. But I find it VERY hard to believe it would end up fucking the season around severely; with that many years to plan, you'd think alternative arrangements could be made. It's not as if Melbourne's short of AFL venues.

yep.

we kind of are short of venues though. the ill-informed pro-world cuppers are just saying "take the game to regional venues" :blahblah: which won't work.

As said, even though so far only the renos at AO are planned, once they're finished and prove fantastic for the city as a whole, I don't doubt a big stadium suitable for the cup being built in the CBD too. We've got spaces, it just needs to happen. No reason to rely on one stadium.

Wondering what will happen with Perth, also. Hope they get a new or renovated ground started soon.

Yeah, this.

Sorry we're not the world game or nothin', though.

2022 is being decided in December 2010, at the same time 2018 is announced.

:heart::heart::heart:
MCG2022.jpg
:up:

The AFL pre-season need not be as long as it is (get rid of the 4 week wankfest that is the Wizard Cup for a start)...and teams can still play matches at the non-World Cup venues, Gabba, the new boutique AFL stadium/Princes Park, Subiwhacko, SCG, and Docklands). It'll be fine, it won't screw the AFL season up....the AFL's good at doing that themselves anyway.

I certainly won't be crying buckets of tears if Australia don't win any of the bids

I will...

2022 is being decided in December 2010, at the same time 2018 is announced.

The AFL pre-season need not be as long as it is (get rid of the 4 week wankfest that is the Wizard Cup for a start)...and teams can still play matches at the non-World Cup venues, Gabba, the new boutique AFL stadium/Princes Park, Subiwhacko, SCG, and Docklands). It'll be fine, it won't screw the AFL season up....the AFL's good at doing that themselves anyway.

I will...

don't get me wrong people. i'd love to see the world cup here.

but not if it impedes century-long traditions.

they can hold it october, november, december, january, february, march... and i'll be the first to celebrate if we get it.,

don't get me wrong people. i'd love to see the world cup here.

but not if it impedes century-long traditions.

they can hold it october, november, december, january, february, march... and i'll be the first to celebrate if we get it.,

they have to host it when they do because every single competition in the world have their off-season then.

the question is, if the afl get to keep etihad for the duration of the tournament (which is quite likely given fifa would not look kindly on two circular venues in the same city) who cares?

they have to host it when they do because every single competition in the world have their off-season then.

the question is, if the afl get to keep etihad for the duration of the tournament (which is quite likely given fifa would not look kindly on two circular venues in the same city) who cares?

ok.

because the mcg is football. i know people won't understand where i'm coming from, but the mcg is football.

Back
Top Bottom