The Smashing Pumpkins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The pumpkins have always sort of freaked me out. I cant really say why and I know nothing about their music.

So I am not sure really whats up with that but maybe I should give them a try sometime as they seem to be surfacing.

yesss

I've just been getting into them recently and I love their early-mid '90s work.

Billy Corgan doesn't get enough credit for his genius, while a guy like Kurt Cobain does because he shot himself, that's just great.

Siamese Dream is one of the 90's best, no doubt. But I always felt Mellon Collie was the most overdone, pretentious release I've ever seen. A separate booklet for artwork? Give me a break. And Corgan calling it "The Wall for Generation X" didn't help either. The guy has a true musical gift, but some pretty awful lyrics at times, and that double album was full of them. Could easily have been a single disc.

Oddly enough, I really enjoyed the much-maligned Adore, recorded during Jimmy Chamberlain's involuntary hiatus from the band. I admired Corgan's restraint on the album, and strangely the only guitar solo he takes on the album is on For Martha, which is about his deceased mother. And it's amazing.

I was also one of the few who appreciated MACHINA, even though it was almost as pretentious as Mellon Collie. At least it was only one disc, and it had some great catchy rock music on there. I have yet to hear the entire MACHINA II, which was unofficially released, although many people say it's the best thing they did since Siamese Dream.

lazarus said:
Siamese Dream is one of the 90's best, no doubt. But I always felt Mellon Collie was the most overdone, pretentious release I've ever seen. A separate booklet for artwork? Give me a break. And Corgan calling it "The Wall for Generation X" didn't help either. The guy has a true musical gift, but some pretty awful lyrics at times, and that double album was full of them. Could easily have been a single disc.

Oddly enough, I really enjoyed the much-maligned Adore, recorded during Jimmy Chamberlain's involuntary hiatus from the band. I admired Corgan's restraint on the album, and strangely the only guitar solo he takes on the album is on For Martha, which is about his deceased mother. And it's amazing.

I was also one of the few who appreciated MACHINA, even though it was almost as pretentious as Mellon Collie. At least it was only one disc, and it had some great catchy rock music on there. I have yet to hear the entire MACHINA II, which was unofficially released, although many people say it's the best thing they did since Siamese Dream.

I'm with you on this. mellon collie had it's moments, no doubt. but i never, and i mean NEVER, put it on and listen straight through. gish and siamese dream are classic albums. siamese dream redefined what heavy guitars could sound like. nothing ever sounded like it before, nothing has since. when the rock kicks in on 'hummer' - my molars still rattle in their sockets.

personally, i LOVE machina (both i and ii). the concepts and imagery and all that crap was stupid. but the songs were AMAZING. billy dragged the guitar monster he created with the '90s' grunge movement kicking and screaming toward the new milennium, crafting an album of irresistably catchy songs that ROCKED. all those beautiful, ultra modern sounds on 'stand inside your love'(probably their most underrated song), the urgent, persistent rhythms of 'this time'....holy shit i could go on and on. i can't wait to get home and blare it all. machina ii was even more intense, more metal, with more pronounced interludes.
from what i've read of billy (and i read whatever i can), he seems like a bit of a stroke. fuckit. i don't care. he's got a great melodic sense, and he's an adventurous songwriter and an ambitious composer and producer. and he's a great team with jimmy chamberlain. yes, some of his words stink. words get all the credit in songwriting. what about the chord changes, the melodies and countermelodies, the walls of beautiful sound he constructed for us. there's more to songwriting than words (see my bloody valentine) fuck words. (kidding, mostly)
i hope this pans out. i really do.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Billy Corgan doesn't get enough credit for his genius,

Wow. That's the first time I ever heard that.

If anything I think he's overated. I mean he's good. But personally I don't think he deserves the acclaim he gets.

doubleU said:

Wow. That's the first time I ever heard that.

If anything I think he's overated. I mean he's good. But personally I don't think he deserves the acclaim he gets.

among my friends everyone's all

KURT COBAIN OMGZZZZZZZZ

they don't even know who the Pumpkins, or Pearl Jam or anything

My favorite Pumpkins album is Siamese Dream by far :drool:

I really don´t like all post Adore songs :ohmy:

Cherub Rock :drool:
Hummer :drool:
To Shiela :drool:
Rhinoceros :drool:
Muzzle :drool:
Luna :drool:
Rocket :drool:

Just started getting into this band not long ago. Didn't know they had such an impressive collection of music.

Last edited:
Age Of Innocence

Mayonaise

Jellybelly

Soma

This Time

Wound

Frail and Bedazzled

Here Is No Why

Thru The Eyes Of Ruby

[Untitled]

Back