The Sigur Ros and Radiohead are in love....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sigur Ros return to the U.S. in October for a collaboration with Radiohead and choreographer Merce Cunningham at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. The two bands will create music for Cunningham's troupe, which will dance to their live performances. "It's going to be quite experimental," says Birgisson. "On the day it's performed, we get to see the dance for the first time, and they hear the music. It will be spontaneous -- and strange.

That part scares me.......

I saw Sigur Ros last Monday in LA. I was blown away, the music was so moving that I was almost in tears after the first song.

I can now see why Sigur Ros and Radiohead are mentioned in the same breath.

david said:
I saw Sigur Ros last Monday in LA. I was blown away, the music was so moving that I was almost in tears after the first song.

I can now see why Sigur Ros and Radiohead are mentioned in the same breath.

david, your post brought tears to my eyes....

:up:

Sigur Ros was on the Carson Daily show last night. VERY cool.

They played () #1. It was really cool to see live.

Sigur Ros is better and more innovative than Radiohead, although I love both. Listen to "Von," if you can get a hold of it. You can tell that Radiohead sampled their sound in their work, and the album was done before "Kid A."

I will continue to hit myself for missing their concert, but I had no one to go with. :(

Ormus

Elvis Presley said:
Sigur Ros return to the U.S. in October for a collaboration with Radiohead and choreographer Merce Cunningham at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. The two bands will create music for Cunningham's troupe, which will dance to their live performances. "It's going to be quite experimental," says Birgisson. "On the day it's performed, we get to see the dance for the first time, and they hear the music. It will be spontaneous -- and strange.

I wonder if I can get tickets? LOL.

Ormus

I thought it was funny what Pitchfork said:
"if it [sigur ros' live material]and Radiohead's recent live material are any indication, the two bands are on a collision course: they should release the exact same album sometime in 2004."

hehehe...funny..!

u2popmofo said:
Sigur Ros was on the Carson Daily show last night. VERY cool.

They played () #1. It was really cool to see live.

Damn, I missed it. I actually like Carson's talk show, he's not that big of a tool on it and he usually has semi decent interviews and always has cool bands on.

His show was my introduction to the wonderful music of Joseph Arthur.

Radiohead, Sigur R?s Team Up-- For Dance!
Michael Flatley settles for L.A. Guns, Bachman-Turner Overdrive

Ryan Schreiber & Chris Leslie-Hynan report:
In news that's sure to cause fainting spells and wet dreams in discerning indie boys and girls across the world, the world-renowned Merce Cunningham Dance Company (hold on, we're getting there!) has commissioned Radiohead and Sigur R?s to create original music for a new piece of theirs called "Split Sides", which will debut at New York's Brooklyn Academy of Music on October 14th. According to reports from Billboard.com, the two bands will each perform 20 minutes of new music, live, while the dancers improvise. Good luck, kids!

"Split Sides" is presently scheduled for a total of four performances at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, with more to follow as the troupe tours the act to places yet to be determined. Of course, since Radiohead and Sigur R?s have shit of their own to attend to, they'll only be available to perform on the first night. After that, the Cunningham Dance Company will be working with a combination of pre-recorded segments and live musicians who will attempt to recreate the bands' music.

"Musicians copying what we're doing sounds bizarre to me. I feel for them!" Greenwood arrogantly stated. "We only just know what we're doing. I'm sure it will be easy for them, but it just might be a bit weird." A spokesperson for the Brooklyn Academy of Music revealed that two different sets of costumes, as well as two different stages, will be available to the dancers to enhance the improvisational aspect and improve diversity for each of the performances.

"It is raising lots of interesting problems about what dance music is," Greenwood told Billboard. "We're talking about the bands crossing from one to the other or sorting out a structure. It could be interesting. Maybe we'll all kind of surprise each other and do the opposite kind of music that we're known for." No word on tickets yet, but the show on the 14th is expected to be a fundraiser, which probably means that Brad Pitt is getting in and you ain't.

In other Sigur R?s-affiliated weird one-off concert news, one of the band's like 1,300 official websites (Eighteen Seconds Before Sunrise) is reporting that frontman Jonsi Thor Birgisson has plans to perform a set of solo material at the Moore Theater in Seattle on May 16th. The set will be called "Songs for the Little Boy", and take place as part of a small festival called "Laurie Anderson's 150w: An Experiment in Collaboration."

The site first released this information a few weeks back without revealing Jonsi's identity, claiming that it was a show by one-man Icelandic electronica group Frakkur. The show, which will be Birgisson's first solo performance, is supposed to run about 45 minutes, so take that bathroom break beforehand. This isn't a pants-pissing contest. The show will also include some visuals he made, and have an electronic bent that bears some similarity to Sigur R?s' score to the Icelandic documentary Hlemmur. Tickets for the two-day festival are available now through Ticketmaster. No other acts have been announced.

guys.jpg

Back
Top Bottom