The "shoegazer" genre and other dreamy music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badyouken

Acrobat
I was listening to Slug the other day and was reminded of how much I love dreamy, cinematic music. Unfortunatly, I don't really know what has been done in that field.

I know some people call it "shoegazer" music. My Bloody Valentine (Loveless) apparently belongs to that genre.. but I don't really like them.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on that kind of music?
Do you know any good artists?
I heard of M83 and Ulrich Schnauss; are they any good? Are they worth checking out?

Last edited:
Badyouken said:

I know some people call it "shoegazer" music... My Bloody Valentine (Loveless) apparently belongs to that genre.. but I don't really like them.

When I saw your title I immediately thought of My Bloody Valentine. I'm not sure if you're looking for ambient or guitar based music, if the former then try Future Sound of London - Lifeforms or Dead Cities.

Well it depends on the guitar... atmospheric guitars (the best example is Zooropa) can do an amazing job.

Last edited:
Future Sound of London are more of an ambient type of sound, less guitars.

The Verve's second album A Northern Soul is fairly atmospheric, a bit like the Unforgettable Fire. Also try a band called Talk Talk - especially the album "Spirit of Eden".

You've hit one of my favorite genres. Here's the most recognizable faces:

The Jesus and Mary Chain
Ride
Slowdive
My Bloody Valentine

If you're more interested in "space rock," try "Spacemen 3" or the offshoot, "Spiritualized."

I hear that this is a good magazine, as well...

http://www.losingtoday.com/

...although I've never read it.

Melon

low are technically called slow-core, aren't they? how about the strarford 4, or would they fall more into the space rock thing?

i'm not really one for shoegazer.

super-ambiant stuff puts me to sleep.

Liz Fraser has beautiful vocals - but I always found the Cocteau Twins slightly overrated and boring. Now - This Mortal Coil though, is good times! ;)

'Shoegazer' music has been a recent addiction of mine.

My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive are highly recommended. I think there's quite a bit of confustion here as to what 'shoegazer' music really is, but most genres end up that way.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was away for a while and coulnd't read your replies.

I have to admit that I'm also confused with the term 'shoegazer'; that's why I added "and other dreamy music" to the thread title. I've checked out some of the music that was suggested in this thread, and some of it really sounds like pop music to me. What I was referring to was dreamy, ambiant, keyboard music (Slug was my example).

By the way, Lifeforms (Future Sound of London) is quite interesting...

Ride is one of my all time favorite bands!

Slowdive is great too...I was lucky enought to see them together, um, a long time ago.

If you are looking for dreamy music, then I'd say 'Ladies and Gentlemen...' by Spiritualized and 'Loveless' by MBV are essential. Also, not shoegazing but I'd check out 'The Campfire Headphase' by Boards of Canada (not their best album but the most accessible), and anything by Sigur Ros. There's also this guy called Brian Eno......

Hope this helps.

My Bloody Valentine, as I have already posted, is the premier Shoegazer band. Ride is a close second.

Bands that aren't exactly Shoegazer but I really love are Cocteau Twins (everything up until Heaven or Las Vegas), Sonic Youth, and Curve.

As far as space rock - I LOVED Spacemen 3 but I have a hard time getting into Spiritualized. I did like the other offshoot Darkside.

shoegazer is very hit and miss for me, but the stuff that hits, hits me VERY right. :up:

Zoomerang96 said:
shoegazer is very hit and miss for me, but the stuff that hits, hits me VERY right. :up:

Same here.
By the way, I love your avatar.
Gotta love good ol' Stephen J. Harper.

Apparently mine was recently "stolen" by DaveC... No problem with that ;)

Man, this thread is old. I've become quite fond of Sigur Ros since then.. and have been looking deeper in Pink Floyd's catalogue. Mazzy Star have interesting tracks, too.

I know you said you were looking primarily for keyboard music, but for very cool drifty, dreamy music you really should check out Gersey. They do use some keyboards, but are primarily guitar based. They are often described as shoegaze/slowcore. Hope Springs and Storms Dressed As Stars are wonderful.

i love all these genres we've come up with.

ride kicks ass. i know MBV 'Loveless' is the classic shoegaze album, but "nowhere' by ride is the one that does it for me. big fucking time. i still listen to it regularly.
what about swervedriver? they were the hell's angels of the shoegaze scene - gasoline and chrome, screaming guitars, wailing melodies. absolutely one of my favorite bands ever.

i don't much care for shoegazer music. for me it goes beyond "dreamy" to "sleep-inducing". i rather enjoy most of the post-rock i've heard though.

would slint be proto-post-rock? music labels are funny, especially when they involve hyphens.

Trespassers William are amazing. I'd recommend anything by them. Their brand new album, Having, is excellent.

They have a lovely cover of Love is Blindness, too. I generally hate U2 covers, but this is the exception.

I'm listening to Dreamend right now, they're obviously post-rock but have a shoegaze vein I like

Back
Top Bottom