The Scientist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Out of Coldplay's set of Big Slow, Weepy Singles ("Trouble," "The Scientist," and "Fix You" so far), it's probably my least favorite. It's not bad, though.

I still play it a lot, but I usually go with the live versions, from the live in australia dvd, coachella festival (with the Johnny Cash/NIN snippet of Hurt), and more recent ones were he changes a bit the ending part

uhh and I can't believe you haven't heard it before I can understand the fact that a lot of people in here can't listen to it anymore, it was overplayed to death back in 2002...and that whole "I hate Coldplay feeling" in this forum doesn't help either:wink:

Last edited:
oh, and for any of you who will be graduating in 06, i recommend it as a class song if you're gonna make some sort of video montage or something.

was at a high school grad a long time ago, and they used it as highlights from the year past played...was really appropriate.

Zoomerang96 said:
oh, and for any of you who will be graduating in 06, i recommend it as a class song if you're gonna make some sort of video montage or something.

was at a high school grad a long time ago, and they used it as highlights from the year past played...was really appropriate.

Never would have imagined it in that context, but it's a cool idea

Mofo said:
uhh and I can't believe you haven't heard it before I can understand the fact that a lot of people in here can't listen to it anymore, it was overplayed to death back in 2002...and that whole "I hate Coldplay feeling" in this forum doesn't help either:wink:
I live under a musical rock, and only listen to stuff from my iTunes collection. I only hear new stuff if a friend recommends it to me or I hear it on TV and then google it or whatever. I can't stand radio.

Actually, come to think of it, I love the B-sides to 'The Scientist'. '1.36' has Tim from Ash on guitar and is about the most un-Coldplay song ever and 'I Ran Away' is pretty sweet.

I like Coldplay a good bit, and this is one of the few songs that I will skip when listening to their records. I guess I tend to think that most of Chris Martin's romantic relationship songs are nauseating. Fix You is not much better IMO. From A Rush, give me Daylight or Amsterdam, even Green Eyes. But I couldn't be more unmoved by a song as I am by The Scientist.

So lynch me now.

i loved this song. played it on repeat, learned to play it on the piano, and then got sick of it.

Well I feel obligated to make an appearance in this thread.

I bought Rush the day it came out, and this song instantly struck me. It became an intensely personal song, and still is, to a degree. But as soon as it became a single and EVERYBODY loved it, that changed it for me. It's a perfect example of my dilemma with Coldplay. Back in the early Parachutes days, they were one of my little bands, much like, say, Eisley is now. But as their popularity skyrocketed, the personal element is gone from the music for me now. It sucks to see "nObOdY SaId It WaZ Ez!1!!" on teenybopper's xangas and AIM profiles. It sort of adulterates the experience. But I love Coldplay, I love this song, and I always will.

inmyplace13 said:
Well I feel obligated to make an appearance in this thread.

I bought Rush the day it came out, and this song instantly struck me. It became an intensely personal song, and still is, to a degree. But as soon as it became a single and EVERYBODY loved it, that changed it for me. It's a perfect example of my dilemma with Coldplay. Back in the early Parachutes days, they were one of my little bands, much like, say, Eisley is now. But as their popularity skyrocketed, the personal element is gone from the music for me now. It sucks to see "nObOdY SaId It WaZ Ez!1!!" on teenybopper's xangas and AIM profiles. It sort of adulterates the experience. But I love Coldplay, I love this song, and I always will.

:yes:

The Scientist is a good song. The whole first half of A Rush Of Blood to the Head has this totally magic feeling. what a great album :drool: but my favourite Coldplay song is and always will be Don't Panic. I can't even explain why. It's short, it's simple...it's Coldplay just being Coldplay and not trying to be anything else. and the song hit me at a time where I needed to latch onto something.

has that single got both I Ran Away and 1.36 on? Both of those are on my personal Coldplay compilation.

You really must have lived under a rock to have avoided this song for so long, it's one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs I've ever heard too, but it really suffers from over-exposure. It's even better experienced live too, has their US tour finished yet? If not, they're a great live band too. Have fun discovering more of their stuff too.

The video for the song is pretty sweet too. It reminds me of part of Weird Al's Amish Paradise video with the walking backwards but talking normally

LemonMacPhisto said:
The video for the song is pretty sweet too. It reminds me of part of Weird Al's Amish Paradise video with the walking backwards but talking normally

Wierd Al is great, and so is the Amish Paradise video, other props for The night santa went crazy, brillant song

lol, Coldplay can't be original with their videos either can they? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom