"The"s when it comes to band names.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
Does it bother anyone else when they don't know if there is or isn't a "The" in a band's name

like Delays, Doves, Editors and Smashing Pumpkins

I use "The"s when I classify them, but am I wrong?

I usually look at what they use on their albums and then go with that.

Yeah, there are a number of bands I'm always unsure of whether there's a 'The' or not. Apparently Cocteau Twins get ticked off if someone calls them "The Cocteau Twins".

I think we should just start putting a "The" in front of every band to be safe. The U2. The Modest Mouse. The Pavement. The Outkast. The The Cure. You get the idea.

:wink:

Arcade Fire is a good one.

I've seen them named with both The and without it, but am still looking for an official verdict.

So, the Arcade Fire, or The Arcade Fire, or Arcade Fire?

indra said:
I usually look at what they use on their albums and then go with that.

Yep, that's what I go by too. If the band doesn't include 'The', nor do I.

LemonMacPhisto: I know that Delays are simply Delays, not The Delays.

Use this:

The Motherfucking Kinks.

or

The Motherfucking Doves.

It'll make you look cool. And your friends will buy you drinks.

MrBrau1 said:
Use this:

The Motherfucking Kinks.

or

The Motherfucking Doves.

It'll make you look cool. And your friends will buy you drinks.

if my friends bought me drinks everytime I swore, I'd be a drunk drunk man.

I remember when Edie Brickell was around. At the time it was 'Edie Brickell and New Bohemians'. No "The" in there for certain. What I am is what I am.... man that song annoyed me :huh:

what's worse about 'The' are places that alphabetize/sort things out using 'The'. So THE BEATLES might be under 'T' :tsk:

Pixies is one that bugs the hell out of me. I have the hardest time not putting 'The' in front of it.

Last edited:
I'm more bothered by the fact that "Smashing Pumpkins" is an action, not an object, so "The Smashing Pumpkins" makes absolutely no grammatical sense whatsoever. Plus, on the first couple albums there was no "the", then for the uber-pretentious Mellon Collie it appeared and stayed for good.

One more reason to think Billy Corgan is a fucking idiot, despite a few good-to-great albums.

Actually I've heard 'Smashing' was meant to be an adjective. Think British.

Eg.

Toffworth: Tally ho, old chap, how about a nice game of cricket and tea afterward?
Foppingham: My word, that sounds absolutely smashing!

yertle-the-turtle said:
Actually I've heard 'Smashing' was meant to be an adjective. Think British.

Eg.

Toffworth: Tally ho, old chap, how about a nice game of cricket and tea afterward?
Foppingham: My word, that sounds absolutely smashing!

Unfortunately, if that were true it would serve to make Corgan even more of an idiot than I originally thought.

It bugs me when I enter bands into The Band Index, and I don't know whether or not they have a "The". :reject:

I'm googling whether or not there's a site that knows the answer to this.

The Pixies are just Pixies? I didn't know that. I always refer to them and The Pixies, and will continue to do so cause I don't give a shit for society's rules. \m/:mad: \m/

I've also seen Pink Floyd written as The Pink Floyd, or The Floyd, but I think it's a British thing.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Belle & Sebastian or Belle and Sebastian? Apparently it's interchangeable. :shrug:

I've noticed that before also, particularly with Belle and Sebastion. It makes it hard for me to list new CDs I buy on my "collection" list.

OK I looked up the and vs. & thing on wikipedia and found this link: http://www.belleandsebastian.com/qasearchk.php?searchterm=ampersand

Sarah Martin, the band's violinist, replies.

Q.Hello!! I was wondering, what's the deal with the ampersand? For some reason I always thought it was "Belle & Sebastian" rather than "Belle and Sebastian". Am I wrong?? Or doesn't it matter. There seems to be a mix of the two used around the place, but which is right (I need to know so that my ipod is gramatically correct)? The Barbian gig was beautiful by the way, but you already know that xx

A. Whichever looks better in any situation is right. For my iPod I went for ampersands all the way, cos I like them.

Sarah - 07/10/05

UberBeaver said:

I've also seen Pink Floyd written as The Pink Floyd, or The Floyd, but I think it's a British thing.

Their official name used to be The Pink Floyd Sound, which then got shortened to The Pink Floyd. If you look at all of their early fliers/singles from 1967, most of them say "The Pink Floyd." Even after they dropped the "The," they still referred to themselves as The Pink Floyd in interviews on occassion. Even today! So I think that's why some people write it out as "the Pink Floyd" these days.

As for Belle & Sebastian, the same thing has always bugged me about Echo & The Bunnymen. I don't know if it's Echo & The Bunnymen or Echo And The Bunnymen. The band members don't seem to know either, because there's discrepancies on the album covers!

heavenecho.jpg

evergreenecho.jpg

:huh:

lazarus said:
I'm more bothered by the fact that "Smashing Pumpkins" is an action, not an object, so "The Smashing Pumpkins" makes absolutely no grammatical sense whatsoever. Plus, on the first couple albums there was no "the", then for the uber-pretentious Mellon Collie it appeared and stayed for good.

One more reason to think Billy Corgan is a fucking idiot, despite a few good-to-great albums.

I love the Pumpkins and Corgan, but yeah, that's pretty confusing.

I wonder if just Corgan and Chamberlain are going to be in the "reformed" Pumpkins...:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom