The Royal Tenenbaums and other stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
ok people....seriously...

I saw this moive today and it is FLAWLESS!!!!

this is definitly in my top 5 films

GO SEE IT!!!

I cannot belive how grteat this film was...totally not as good as I was expecting!!

flawless

also

I bought the new Flaming Lips album today

sooooo good

a must get, even though thier other was better

GO CHECK THESE GUYS OUT NOW!!! ;)

:crack: :dance:

um, you say it was flawless and top 5 all-tme, then you say it was "totally not as good as I was expecting"

I liked the film as well, Gene Hackman was brilliant, though it seemed a bit like Ben Stiller wasn't sure how to handle a role where he wasn't the main attraction, or maybe I'm just not used to him being subtle :eyebrow:

The Wanderer said:
um, you say it was flawless and top 5 all-tme, then you say it was "totally not as good as I was expecting"

I liked the film as well, Gene Hackman was brilliant, though it seemed a bit like Ben Stiller wasn't sure how to handle a role where he wasn't the main attraction, or maybe I'm just not used to him being subtle :eyebrow:

oops...that should read backwards!!!
"better than I expected"

sometimes I think I suffer from severe dislexia

I LOVED Genes character, and all his "jive" phrases. sooo funny
very complex character as well...means well...but has a very odd, socially unacceptable way of showing that

And I absolutely loved Ben Stiller and his boys... maybe the most! it was gold...and in a weird way I started to get attached to these characters...such that when Ben Still says, after the dog gets killed,
"it's been a rough year for me dad"
I found eyes tearing up!

I wasn't expecting that! I wasn't expecting this movie to actually be moving. It is the most unique way I've ever encountered for a producer to build characters.

and yet, it one of the funniest films I've seen in a long time!
how about when Royal is telling his ex that he is dying and when she starts crying he takes it back!

A lot of dark humour...like where I'm laughing and thinking "should I be laughing?"

after Royal's son tries to kill himself he says;
"He looks pretty good for a suicide"

I loved it too. Very dark and disturbing. I'm convinced Owen Wilson is one of the weirdest actors in showbiz.

One thing I did enjoy though, is seeing Gwyneth display a depth I had not seen from her before. She really impressed me. :up:

Re: *****

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I :heart: this movie. The dark humor is one main reason, another is the kickass soundtrack.

I was elated when Elliott Smith kicked in!!!!!!!

When richie was shaving his beard off getting ready to kill himself Needle in the Hay was playing!!
such a sad song too

Richie is the saddest thing ever. His face is covered for so long that you don't notice it... but when he shaves his head and face...
He looks like despair personified.

I love this film.

"Rushmore" is also good... directed and written by the same people as Royal Tenenbaums (Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson). Similar in some respects but different in others.

I really liked that movie, however I think I liked Rushmore better. I do think the opening scene of Royal is pure genius.

As for they Flaming Lips, I had heard once that they came out with a box set of 4 CD's each with different instruments recorded on each, the point being that you would have to play all 4 on different stereos to hear the songs completely...

It was a great movie! and there were a few scenes in it that were filmed near my apt. My friend actually saw Danny glover walking around her neighborhood in makeup.

I thought Luke Wilson was so unbelievably great in this movie. He is really under-rated, somewhere between a teen idol and a sidekick in most of his roles, but this role had such depth and weirdness and darkness and he just nailed it.
The whole world that was created in this, the little landmarks and banged-up taxis and all, was also so genius. The movie was completely current but had this timeless quality that should keep it relevant for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom