The Rolling Stones Survivor - Sticky Fingers - Round 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please Vote For Your LEAST Favorite.

• Wild Horses

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't You Hear Me Knocking

• Dead Flowers

• Moonlight Mile

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
I Got the Blues because Bitch survived. Get it?

Anyways, I Got the Blues = Eliminated. Bitch = Moves on...for now.

Please: VOTE FOR YOUR LEAST FAVORITE SONG

Last edited by a moderator:
200_s.gif

"Moonlight Mile" is my favorite Stones song. Please let it move on to the finals. :up:

And wow, now that "Bitch" is leaving, it makes me realize that "Brown Sugar" should probably go next. It's a great opener, but it's nowhere in the same league as these other songs on a songwriting level.

And wow, now that "Bitch" is leaving, it makes me realize that "Brown Sugar" should probably go next. It's a great opener, but it's nowhere in the same league as these other songs on a songwriting level.

I actually agree. I would be alright with the last two rounds being between Sister Morphine and Brown Sugar.

I'd take Bitch over Brown Sugar to be honest. I'm kind of surprised there's been so much piling on the former and not a single vote for the latter.

I'll join you next round. See if we can't bait our way to a Brown Sugar/Sister Morphine double elim.

I'll play that game. If I remember to log in from my computer.

Brown Sugar pisses on Sister Morphine.

I like Sister Morphine, it's got creepy lyrics and atmosphere, but Brown Sugar is a fucking monster guitar track. It might be the song you'd play for a visiting alien species if you wanted them to know who the Rolling Stones are.

Last edited:
It might be the song you'd play for a visiting alien species if you wanted them to know who the Rolling Stones are.

Or maybe you'd play Satisfaction first. Or Gimme Shelter. Or Sympathy For The Devil.

Brown Sugar is fun. But it's not as essential as some of their other standout singles.

It did give us this, though:

There are a few songs that might be more emblematic, yeah, but that's why I said "might" in my post.

All I'm trying to say is that Brown Sugar is a way fucking better track than Sister Morphine.

If Sister Morphine had never been written? Ehhh. Fuck it. Nobody would really miss it that much. If they never wrote Brown Sugar?

Shit, cat.

If U2 had never written Running to Stand Still, only fans would have noticed.

If U2 had never written Vertigo? Imagine what their commercial outlook would look like right now.

I do feel compelled to say that I wouldn't mind as much if any or all of Sway, Hear Me Knocking, W Horses, Dead Flowers or Moonlight Mile advance past Brown Sugar.

But Sister Morphine? Fuck that.

Last edited:
If U2 had never written Running to Stand Still, only fans would have noticed.

If U2 had never written Vertigo? Imagine what their commercial outlook would look like right now.

Come on, man. You know what I'm saying. Don't be a dick. Who posts lame U2 jokes in non-U2 related subforums? ;)

Of course I get what you're saying, but we have these debates in every survivor, including the U2 ones. There's always that group of Pride haters that try to get rid of it early, then people respond with "but it's such an important song to U2's career!" Thing is, I sympathize because if it came down to Pride and A Sort of Homecoming, I'm taking the latter every time, even though only fans would miss it.

I don't think there's a huge gap between Brown Sugar and Sister Morphine so I hope you vote for Sister Morphine to push for a double elimination. As you said in your last post, the other five are all great so who cares at that point.

Brown Sugar is a fun single, but the biggest throw-away of the big songs in my most humble of opinions. Sister Morphine is a masterpiece and one of those relatively rare Stones tracks that just oozes with atmosphere. Keith's slide guitar is a thing of beauty. Terrific track and in my top 3 of the record.

It definitely should not go before Brown Sugar or Dead Flowers.

I'm with GAF on Brown Sugar. Its not a masterpiece or anything, but its still a fairly iconic song. Seems like its going next, but it won't be by my hand. Its a song that triggers some fond memories for me and a couple of friends. Some day when you kids are a little older maybe I'll tell you my Brown Sugar story, it involves an early 20's me, a slightly older female bartender, a Fort Lauderdale night club.

Unless Iggy Pop is making a cameo, I'm not sure I care.

:wink: nah, I like Hewson stories.

Brown Sugar is one of my favorite kinds of songs: The ones that seem so innocent and fun. "Listen to this awesome rock song. It sounds like the singer must be in love, and he's rocking out to that idea." Then you read the lyrics and it's SUCH a dark song. I don't know how anyone could call it a throwaway and I'm really shocked by the thought it might go next. I like a song like Moonlight Mile or Sway, a lot, yeah, hell I think I said Sway was my favorite song on this album...but Brown Sugar is huge and definitely a song I'm glad to have around.

Also more Hewson stories!

Back
Top Bottom