The Rising hits No. 1 (US charts)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madonna's child

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Congratulations, Bruce! :)

Springsteen Soars To No. 1 With 'The Rising'

Bruce Springsteen's "The Rising" (Columbia) rockets to No. 1 on The Billboard 200 after selling 525,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan, to earn the Boss his best week ever in the SoundScan era for a single album. The impressive, media-hyped debut allows Springsteen to easily best Linkin Park's "[Reanimation]" (Warner Bros.), which lands at No. 2 on first-week sales of 270,000 units, the strongest showing ever from a remix album.

Springsteen's last No. 1 was his 1995 "Greatest Hits" set, which was then his biggest SoundScan sales week, falling just short of 250,000 units. His biggest albums came prior to 1991, the year when SoundScan was instituted. 1984's "Born in the USA" has been certified 15-times platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America for 15 million units shipped, while the live box "Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band 1975-1985" has been certified 13-times platinum.

"The Rising" is the fifth-best debut of the year. It trails opening week totals from Eminem's Web/Aftermath/Interscope set "The Eminem Show" (1.3 million), Nelly's Fo' Reel/Universal release "Nellyville" (714,000), Dave Matthews Band's RCA effort "Busted Stuff" (622,000), and Celine Dion's Epic comeback "A New Day Has Come" (527,000).

2 - Reanimation, Linkin Park

3 - Nellyville, Nelly 0

4 - Now 10, Various Artists

5 - The Eminem Show, Eminem

6 - Unleashed, Toby Keith

7 - Busted Stuff, Dave Matthews Band

8 - Let Go, Avril Lavigne

9 - All I Have, Amerie

10 - By The Way, Red Hot Chili Peppers

--- billboard.com

Sicy said:
* wonders if we're going to need a Bruce forum

Of course that would give me the opportunity to brag about the two members of the E Street Band I've met. :D Since I don't get to brag about U2 members I've met. :mad:

jezebel said:

ok, I'll bite

Which ones did you meet????

inquiring minds want to know!

well gosh, I thought you'd never ask. :lol:

Garry Tallent and Little Steven. Garry's an old friend of an old friend. Little Steven I met through a different friend who used to work for his publicist during his solo period. Then I had another run-in with Steven...literally I bumped into him, as in collided with, at one of his shows at The Ritz in NYC. I got there early just as he was leaving from soundcheck and as I entered the ballroom he was leaving and it was dark in there (my eyes were still adjusting from having been outside) and I bumped into him. I just mumbled 'oh sorry' awkwardly and he smiled and that was that. I thought he was the sexiest thing alive back then so this was exciting. So since I was the first fool in the place I was right up against the stage because I had a feeling you-know-who would show up. Which he did for two or three songs. And I was close enough to kiss his boots. But I didn't.

/name dropping :D

jezebel said:

LadyLemon, you are going to LOVE it :love:

I CANNOT stop listening to The Rising, it's just amazing :love:

I haven't had time to give it a listen yet cos I had a final project due today for my summer class, but I'll have plenty of time to listen it to it now that class is over! Woo-hoo!

hey jezebel--you're right about SPL. i just scored a free video from some guy who won't take no for an answer and won't take anything in return (i'm still trying to convince him he should take some U2 boots). the springsteen fans are wonderfully loony--they like to give things away over there. so this was an afternoon well-spent. thanks for hooking me up over there!

girl, your sig pic made me pop in the green album

~LadyLemon~ said:

I haven't had time to give it a listen yet cos I had a final project due today for my summer class, but I'll have plenty of time to listen it to it now that class is over! Woo-hoo!

YAY!!!! No more class, woohoo!! :D

Hey, maybe since the RH forum isn't getting much action, we could, er....move in there for a bit? :angel: :tongue:

joyfulgirl said:
hey jezebel--you're right about SPL. i just scored a free video from some guy who won't take no for an answer and won't take anything in return (i'm still trying to convince him he should take some U2 boots). the springsteen fans are wonderfully loony--they like to give things away over there. so this was an afternoon well-spent. thanks for hooking me up over there!

excellent, joy! Springsteen fans are truly the bootleg kings :D

have you been able to find tix anywhere on backstreets or SPL?

ZooEuropa said:
I'm wondering whether to get this album myself! Is it any good?

I'm getting it today so I'll let you know. Kurt Loder (Rolling Stone) gave it a 5 star review and the fans seem to agree. I'm especially interested in hearing the song "Worlds Apart":

(from Kurt Loder):

His most inspired gesture comes in "Worlds Apart," a track that writhes with the sounds of qawwali, the intense, God-conjuring, life-affirming vocal music of the mystical Sufi sect of Islam - a branch of the faith much detested (and often suppressed) by death-trumpeting fundamentalist imams. Hearing ecstatic qawwali ululations underpinning a song in which Springsteen sings "May the living let us in/Before the dead tear us apart" is a truly soul-stirring experience.

Bruce Springsteen has gathered many a superlative over the years. His most resonant works stand as milestones in the lives of millions of fans. Even for him, though, The Rising, with its bold thematic concentration and penetrating emotional focus, is a singular triumph. I can't think of another album in which such an abundance of great songs might be said to seem the least of its achievements.

Back
Top Bottom