The richer you are, the more free stuff you get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Naya

Refugee
"Golden Globe presenters will get gift bags worth $27 000 this year. Among the freebies: a diamond pin from Diamond Information Center, pearl earrings fromMikimoto, a diamond butterfly necklace by Ritani, a velvet quilt by Donna Karan, a bi-coastal 6-month membership to Sports Club LA, a fur-trimmed parka from Woolrich, a portable DVD player from SpiegelAudiovox, and a caviar spoon and ?The Most Expensive Perfume in the World? by CliveChristian."

That's just disgusting! A 27 000$ gift bag just for presenting an award?

I just dont understand when celebrities complain about being famous. I just cant. When they get paid millions of dollars for making a movie. And then they get all that free stuff.

:mad:

Sorry Im in a bad mood today and Im pissed off that Im broke!

I agree :down: also they often expect to get the clothes from photo shoots, or expect to keep jewelry they "borrow" for award shows. Of course not all celebs are like that.

Oh well, I guess the more some people have the more they want :eyebrow:

:angry:

"I don't wanna hear about what the rich are doing
I don't wanna go to where the rich are going
They think they're so clever, they think they're so right
But the truth is only known by guttersnipes"

Well, I,
for one,
would REALLY, REALLY LIKE a diamond butterfly necklace . . .

What's wrong with you people?:huh:

They can't take it with them, anyway. They're already rich, so it just seems like a drop in the bucket. You think they should get a regular $30 gift certificate or what? That would be a little insulting, I think.

Have you ever driven in a really rich neighborhood? Then you go back to single family dwellings--they look like shacks.

There are rich, poor, sad, happy, big, little, educated and morons. Accept it! Get with the program.

It's promo for these companies. They're hoping these rich asses will like the stuff and buy more of their brand name. Like giving out free food samples at the supermarket.

January 21, 2004 -- MAYBE the Sundance Film Festival should be renamed the Freebie Festival. The number and the value of the gifts handed out to celebrities has reached new Rocky Mountain highs this year. When Ashton Kutcher praised the customized Cadillac Escalade he was loaned for his stay in Park City, Utah, a General Motors marketer arranged for him to get another Escalade when he gets back to L.A. "I want this car," was all he had to say. The truck is fitted out with a DVD/CD player, Tivo, wireless Internet and three TV screens. At the Phillips Lounge, most celebs got a lipstick-size, digital key ring camera while some, including Kutcher and actress Christina Applegate, even got a 40-inch flat-screen TV. "I know, I'll put it in my gym!" she exclaimed. Kutcher and Demi Moore arrived at the premiere for Kutcher's new sci-fi movie "The Butterfly Effect" in matching shearling coats, the must-have accessory at Sundance. Paris Hilton didn't want to return the $100,000 Mercedes G Wagon SUV she was loaned for the weekend. When she didn't bring it back as scheduled on Monday, the car company sent out search parties. The vehicle was finally repossessed yesterday.

Whatever year it was that Julia Roberts won her Best Actress Oscar, a make-up company (and a more mainstream one like Cover Girl or Almay, not like MAC or something) gave free makeup to the five actresses nominated for Oscars. None of those actresses need that makeup or would use it, for that matter. I coudn't believe it, the company could have gotten good press by donating that makeup to a women's shelter or something.

All these goody bags really encourage stars of all ratings to be total brats. I've been to some pre-award shows events before and these really low-level stars like Jessica Simpson (before Newlyweds) and Nicole Eggert are leaving with bags and bags and bags and bags of goodies. They take everything in site simply because it's there. And the funniest thing is all these companies gladly give stuff to the stars thinking how great it would be if Cameron Diaz used their phone, but she doesn't, she takes the things from her gift bag and gives it to her mom or assistant or whatever.

It's a really grotesque system and I have very little respect for anyone who takes those bags.

You don't like it?

Do you part - download a movie. :wink:

No, seriously, we buy the products they advertise, and so it's a vicious circle. Nicole Kidman there washes her hair in Evian, and when you pay $15 to see a movie of hers, you are partly paying for that. I'm not sure what we can do, but it's really reached epic proportions of ridiculousness.

These freebies are all about product placement. The manufacturers are hoping that because, say, Cameron Diaz uses the latest Nokia cell phone, thousands of fans will rush out and buy the same model just because Cameron has one!

It's all part of the celebrity-worshiping culture, and, yes, it's ridiculous.

this is why i try to avoid buying stuff celebrities use, though some stuff is unavoidable. most celebrities are so stuck up it makes me sick :madspit:

The Oscar freebies..

Charlize Theron and Renee Zellweger may soon be basking at either the ultra-private Exclusive resort or the Auberge du Soleil resort. A $4,000 getaway is just one of the tidbits in this year's Oscar? Gift Basket for presenters. Stars can also kick back in front of the $6,000 state-of-the-art Samsung high definition TV set. If it's the nightlife they crave, the two-night penthouse package at Caesar's Palace, including four tickets to CELINE DION and $9,000 in spending money at the hotel, should do the trick. How about an exclusive dinner party, courtesy of the $1,500 Morton Steakhouse certificate? And to add to the sweet smell of success, JEAN PATOU of Paris is pitching in with "En Joy" parfum, bottled in Baccarat and personalized with each nominee's name. In all, the A-list stars will walk away with an estimated $100,000 worth of goodies . That amount makes this year's gift bag the most luxurious in Oscar? history.

Back
Top Bottom