The Replacements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
so i've been inspired to check them out, and since i know jack shit (or don't know jack shit, depending on how that expression is supposed to be used) about them, i'm asking you, the good people of B&C to help me. i could look up shit on my own, but that would take work. it's so much easier to post something somewhere and have people tell you.

i know "bastards of young" because ladylemon put it on a mix for me. up until that point, i thought it was a gc5 song (they covered it). that's it, though.

My all time favorite Replacements album is Tim, and Pleased To Meet Me and Let It Be are wonderful also. Those are pretty much essential Replacements albums. Many people like Let It Be the best of the three, but I still love Tim.

Don't Tell A Soul is also good, but is a little more commercial, if you will. I still like it very much (and at times, more than the earlier ones), but it isn't as raw as the three I mentioned in my first post.

Pleased to meet me is a classic....

My wife is the Replacements expert though, seen them multiple times in thier heyday.

Poor Paul has not aged so well though.....

Yeah, Tim is a general favorite, followed by Let It Be and Pleased To Meet Me -- but a mixtape is always the best to start off with. You'd probably like Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash and Stink -- they're a little punkier. Hootenanny's a lot of fun though. Go with a mixtape; I'd be willing to send you some stuff too if you want.

:hmm:

i saw a copy of 'tim' in the "wicked cheap" bin at the store today. so maybe i'll just go pick that up tomorrow or whenever i'm in town again.

advantage to newbury comics sucking/catering to the wannabe gangstas around here: i don't have to worry about any of the music that i want to purchase walking off.

diamond said:
:hmm:didnt they have a song-
"Someone Take the Wheel"?

i loved that song.

db9

That's on 'All Shook Down'--the whole album is like that, very melancholy.

I saw them play at Lincoln Park in Chicago right around the time that album came out. I'm afraid my memories of the show are a bit, er, 'hazy' but I do remember being seated behind an entire row of high school football jocks (to judge from neck girth). It was very hot, and they had all removed their jerseys before sitting in the folding chairs provided by the Park office. When Paul Westerberg screamed 'Everybody up!' or something like that about halfway through the show, they all dutifully rose at once to reveal a row of identical CHICAGO PUBLIC WORKS AUTHORITY pressmarks on their lobster-red backs.

yolland said:

That's on 'All Shook Down'--the whole album is like that, very melancholy.

I saw them play at Lincoln Park in Chicago right around the time that album came out. I'm afraid my memories of the show are a bit, er, 'hazy' but I do remember being seated behind an entire row of high school football jocks (to judge from neck girth). It was very hot, and they had all removed their jerseys before sitting in the folding chairs provided by the Park office. When Paul Westerberg screamed 'Everybody up!' or something like that about halfway through the show, they all dutifully rose at once to reveal a row of identical CHICAGO PUBLIC WORKS AUTHORITY pressmarks on their lobster-red backs.

haha.

thanks for the clarification and story yolland.

:)

db9

IWasBored said:
:hmm:

i saw a copy of 'tim' in the "wicked cheap" bin at the store today. so maybe i'll just go pick that up tomorrow or whenever i'm in town again.

:yes: tomorrow.

Bono's shades said:
You'd better hurry before someone else grabs it, IWB! Talk about finding a diamond in the trash heap...

:hmm:i've slept in a few dumpsters thru-out the years:angry:

diamond

Bono's shades said:
You'd better hurry before someone else grabs it, IWB! Talk about finding a diamond in the trash heap...

:lol: you're making me nervous, like i should run quickly into town now (i think they close at 10).

Everyone's given good recommendations. I used to love them so much--saw them live a bunch of times. I haven't listened to them in ages but now I need to hear Can't Hardly Wait and Achin' to Be before I go to bed.

Didn't they dis another up and comming band in the 80's with a song called, "Men don't Follow"?

My mistake, it's "Kids don't follow" from the Replacements Stink album. It really rocks.

:rockon:

bought 'tim' today.

only 3 tracks into it, so far i like. :up:

i listened to the rest of it (twice, actually).

i like it a lot!

The Replacements were my favorite band in high school--right before I got into U2.

Tim was also my first album, and I liked it but didn't think it was the greatest thing ever. I'd say that Pleased To Meet Me is probably the best collection of songs, especially in terms of diversity. It really shows off the range of Paul's songwriting.

The album was made after they booted Bob Stinson (lead guitarist) out of the band for drinking too much, but ironically I think this is the best album in terms of guitars, which are almost all played by Paul. I think he's better than Bob or Slim Dunlap, who came aboard next for Don't Tell A Soul.

Tim has Here Comes a Regular, Left of the Dial, and Bastards of Young, but those are the only BIG standouts for me. Pleased has I.O.U., Alex Chilton, Nightclub Jitters, The Ledge, Skyway, and Can't Hardly Wait (my favortite Mats song ever).

Jeez now I have to go listen to the album...

laz

The Replacements are one of my favorite bands of the 80's!!!
So many great songs...
Check em' all out - you won't be disappointed.
Here's some of my personal favorites...
Within Your Reach
Unsatisfied
Answering Machine
Bastards of Young
Here Comes A Regular
The Ledge
Can't Hardly Wait
Alex Chilton
and the list goes on...and on...

Back
Top Bottom