The Recipe Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iacrobat

War Child
I don't know if this has been done here before, but I thought I'd give it a go.

I figure everyone's gotta cook to eat. And there may even be some of you who like, or even love, cooking, like me!

So this is thread to post your favourite recipes. What would be really excellent is if some people could post local recipes! Maybe even create and Interference.com cookbook!

Since I started the thread, I'll go first. I want to post a local recipe from here in Spain, but I have to sort out the measurements. So instead:
--------------------------------------------

I teach English and I have a class that is just conversation. My student loves to cook as much as I do, so she gave me a recipe which I improvised on a little. I have only prepared this once, and for the first try it was spectacular. I didn't get any measurements with this recipe except for the wine reduction, which is for 4 people.

It is easy to make and requires little work. I made it for my 2 year wedding anniversary.

Marinated Leg of Lamb in a Reduction of Merlot with Roasted Apples (Serves 4)

You will need Leg of lamb, de-boned (enough for four people)
1 apple per person ( I recommend something not too sweet, but not granny-smith obviously. I used yellow apples (golden delicious?))

Marinade:
extra virgin olive oil
basalmic vinegar
lemon zest
rosemary (fresh if possible)
whole grain mustard (I used Maille)
salt
pepper

I did not have any measurements for the marinade, so go with your gut. The lemon zest and rosemary combine for a great flavour.

Marinate lamb for 2 hours.
Place in roasting pan, pyrex dish, ect. with some of the marinade, epecially pieces of lemon zest and rosemary. Sprinkle some slat on top of the lamb. Be sure to leave enough marinade to cover the apples.

Cut apples into eighths and cover with the marinade. Place apple pieces around the lamb in the roasting dish.

By this time you should have pre-heated the oven to 210? celcius.

Place lamb on the middle rack. After 10 minutes, reduce heat to 185? and cook for about 20 minutes more, or until done.

While the lamb is in the oven you can prepare the wine reduction. In a pot add 500ml of merlot, 3 tablespoons basalmic vinegar and 160 grams white sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, it will still be liquidy, but as it cools it thickens. Perhaps you want to prepare this beforehand as I did not allow enough time for the wine to cool and it was liquidy when I served it.

Serving suggestion:

I covered the bottom of a plate with the wine, placed the lamb in the middle. I made a 3/4 circle around the lamb with the apples and a sprig of fresh rosemary.

I served a warm goat cheese arugula salad before and a white chocolate strawberry mousse for desert. I recommend serving it the same wine you made the sauce with.
--------------------------------

Well, after all that I hope some of you share some of the things you like to make, some secret family recipes and local traditions.

I'm an amazingly unenthusiastic cook, but people do like the fruit salads I make with a simple dressing of one part honey to one part lime juice with poppy seeds in it. When I feel really creative I add slivered almonds. :yes:

Justified said:
this is a great idea. :up:

I have tried to encourage KhanadaRhodes to do this in the past. She has some GREAT recipes she has posted "here and there" before. Oh...and Fah had the one in her journal that made me hungry!

:up:

najeena said:
I'm an amazingly unenthusiastic cook, but people do like the fruit salads I make with a simple dressing of one part honey to one part lime juice with poppy seeds in it. When I feel really creative I add slivered almonds. :yes:

Sounds great!
Which fruits do you use?

I use whatever is in season and doesn't get goopy. Apples, pears, firm melons, orange segments, grapes, kiwi... I once added pomegranate seeds for the color and tart flavor, then watched as most of the people at the party carefully avoided them. :ohmy:

I like this thread!!! :up:

Balsamic Grilled Pork Chops :drool:

4-6 center cut pork chops
2-3 cloves minced garlic (or more if you are garlic crazy)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper (I used kosher salt & fresh ground pepper but regular table salt & black pepper works just as well)

Season pork chops on both sides with salt & pepper.

Prepare marinade: Whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil and garlic.

Put seasoned pork chops in a glass baking dish or large ziplock bag and pour marinade over the top, making sure to cover both sides of pork. Let marinade from 30 minutes to 2 hours.

Grill 8 minutes per side, plus or minus a minute depending on thickness of chops.

**I generally makes this on the BBQ...I tried it once in the broiler and it didn't come out so hot.

Stir Fried Asparugus

1 standard bunch of asparagus
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 Tbs garlic flavored olive oil
2 Tbs vegetable or chicken broth
salt
white pepper

Trim woody ends off of aparagus and cut into 2 inch pieces. Heat olive oil in a large skillet or wok and add asparagus. Stir fry for 5-6 minutes or until asparagus just starts to become tender. Salt & pepper to taste; add garlic and continue to stir fry for 1-2 minutes longer, making sure garlic doesn't burn. Add broth to pan, stir and cook at med-high heat for 1-2 minutes and broth has been absorbed by asparagus. Do not overcook or asparagus will be soggy and gross!

Yeah! A recipe thread. I love to cook!

And since it's a summer (well, in some places, anyway) here is a really easy, and yummy smoothie recipe.

Strawberry Smoothie

1 ? cups milk
1 ? teaspoons Crystal Light soft drink mix, any flavor
8 ounces Breyers Frozen Yogurt
1 Cup whole frozen strawberries (or really any frozen fruit)

Place all ingredients in blender; cover. Blend on high speed until smooth. Serve immediately.

This is good, and healthy!

Wild Rice and Orzo

1 Cup each-uncooked wild rice and orza (rice shaped pasta)
3 Tablespoons butter
2 cups chopped onions
1 ? cups thawed frozen green peas
? teaspoon salt and pepper (each)
1/3 sliced scallions

Cook wild rice and orzo separately as packages direct

Meanwhile, melt 1tbsp butter in large skillet. Add onions; cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes until tender. Stir in remaining butter, peas, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.

Drain rice and orzo; pour into serving dish. Stir in onion mixture and scallions.

Wow! This is great so far!

Since we are talking summer, I'll see if I can dig up a local Gazpacho recipe! I am sure my mother-in-law has one!

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I have an awesome fat free banana blueberry muffin recipie. :)
mm, definitely tell! :)

This is super easy and quick:
Strawberry Yogurt Pie

2 containers (8 oz. each) Starwberry yogurt
1/2 cup crushed strawberries
1 container (8 or 9 oz.) Cool Whip
1 Graham Cracker Ready Crust

Thoroughly combine crushed fruit and yogurt in a bowl.
Fold in the Cool Whip, blending well.
Spoon into the graham cracker crust and freeze about 4 hours.
Remove from freezer and place in refrig. 30 min (or longer for softer texture) before serving.
Store any leftover pie in the freezer.

Other fruits you could use (with matching yogurt);
1/2 cup crushed raspberries or blueberries
1 can (8 3/4 oz) sliced peaches or apricot halves, drained and mashed
1 can (8 1/4 oz) crushed pineapple, drained

I also have a great bourbon slushie recipe if I can find it...

Last edited:
Justified said:
this is a great idea. :up:

yeah, I suggested this 2 years ago and it was met with complete indifference.

anyways....I have recipe for meatballs that blows away Rocco DiSpirito's mama's.

sorry Rocco.

ok, but these are not exact measurements, because I just don't do it that way (use your own judgement and feel free to make changes):

ingredients:
1 lb. beef chop meat
1 1/2 lb. mix of pork and veal chop meat
6 or 8 eggs
6 or more cloves of garlic minced
3 or 4 cups of pecorino romano grated cheese
1 cup of basil diced
about 3 cups of progresso italian style bread crumbs
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Using your hands, mix well, but don't over mix and be gentle! you don't want it to turn into mush! Form the meatballs, at least 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
Season lightly with salt and pepper.

Heat up a cast iron skillet and add some olive oil. Fry the meatballs until brown on all sides, but not burned. Remove to a platter lined with paper towels to drain.

From there, they should be done. If you want to add them to a pot of sauce for 30 minutes, please do.

Again, no exact measurements; the real key is in the garlic and cheese....so you may have to add more to taste.

Bada Bing.
;)

Sicy posted her homemade tomato sauce once...I think.

We can have a whole "Interference Italian Meal" - if she posts it again! :hyper:

Secret family recipe:

Ice

Ingredients:
Water
Freezer

Carefully blend water into ice cube trays.
Place filled ice trays in freezer.
Leave in freezer for at least 2 hours (Less time if you like your ice watery)
Remove trays from freezer.
Crack open trays.
Serve ice.
Best served cold.

Hewson said:
Secret family recipe:

Ice

Ingredients:
Water
Freezer

Carefully blend water into ice cube trays.
Place filled ice trays in freezer.
Leave in freezer for at least 2 hours (Less time if you like your ice watery)
Remove trays from freezer.
Crack open trays.
Serve ice.
Best served cold.

:lmao: :bow:

Fat Free Banana Blueberry Muffins

2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
1 cup granulated sugar
3 egg whites, unbeaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt
1 cup fresh or frozen and drained blueberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
With paper liners, line 12 muffin cups.
Sift flour with baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
In large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat bananas with granulated sugar, egg whites, and vanilla, about four minutes.
At low speed, beat in flour mixture alternatively with yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
Gently fold in blueberries with a spatula. Fill cups almost to the top of liner. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until done. Remove muffins to wire rack and let cool.

:drool:

does the bourbon slush have 7-Up in it?

jkayet said:
mm, definitely tell! :)

This is super easy and quick:
Strawberry Yogurt Pie

2 containers (8 oz. each) Starwberry yogurt
1/2 cup crushed strawberries
1 container (8 or 9 oz.) Cool Whip
1 Graham Cracker Ready Crust

Thoroughly combine crushed fruit and yogurt in a bowl.
Fold in the Cool Whip, blending well.
Spoon into the graham cracker crust and freeze about 4 hours.
Remove from freezer and place in refrig. 30 min (or longer for softer texture) before serving.
Store any leftover pie in the freezer.

Other fruits you could use (with matching yogurt);
1/2 cup crushed raspberries or blueberries
1 can (8 3/4 oz) sliced peaches or apricot halves, drained and mashed
1 can (8 1/4 oz) crushed pineapple, drained

I also have a great bourbon slushie recipe if I can find it...

This sounds so good. :drool:

Hewson....

when you get a chance, can you post that recipe for "boiling water" that I sent you....I think I lost it. :up:

anyone got an ice cream making machine? I bought a book in a hurry yesterday ( I love recipe books) "Homemade Ice Cream Naturally - plus sorbets , souffles, mousses and other iced delights" I have only just looked through it and EVERY recipe :drool: says "place mixture in your ice cream maker"
I don't have an ice cream maker:hmm:
ahh well, hopefully it will be OK substituting hand beaten ice cream. I can at least get ideas for flavours and combinations.
I love cooking( and eating) especially main meal, vegetable based dishes. I think roast chicken and veges is my alltime favourite meal, flavoured with herbs and citrus, simple and golden:drool:
my cooking story...
As much as I love them, my two eldest sons and to some extent my husband, are gastronomic pains. They don't like so many things, i have been virtually cooking 3 or 4 different meals each night and the same old thing fo years now
but guess what???
they're gone :sad: :hyper: sad: :dance:
it is quite often only youngest son and I home for the evening meal now and he has a very wide pallete :applaud:
did I spell that right?..tastebuds/appreciation of flavour My culinary expression can be wider now...woooooohooooooo:)
so I'll be over to borrow some sugar and some recipes:drool:
thanks.
There is a wonderful TV series called "The Foodlovers Guide To Australia"...that's me, U2/foodlover. Watch it someday if you have the chance. The quality and diversity of ingredients down here is something I am forever grateful for.
The supreme ingredient for me is Kikkoman soy sauce. I'd die without it.

Boiling water:
Ingredients:
Water
pan
stove

Place water in pan
Place pan on stove
Turn burner to high
Watch water, when it bubbles, it is boiling. If you're not sure it can be tested by thrusting your hand wrist deep into the pan. If you need to call an ambulance, your water is boiling.
Serve immediately.

Tomorrow Zoney, I'm gonna put up the recipe for toast. Get your pencil and paper handy.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Fat Free Banana Blueberry Muffins

2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
1 cup granulated sugar
3 egg whites, unbeaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt
1 cup fresh or frozen and drained blueberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
With paper liners, line 12 muffin cups.
Sift flour with baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
In large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat bananas with granulated sugar, egg whites, and vanilla, about four minutes.
At low speed, beat in flour mixture alternatively with yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
Gently fold in blueberries with a spatula. Fill cups almost to the top of liner. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until done. Remove muffins to wire rack and let cool.

:drool:

These sound so amazing:drool:. Thanks so much!:hug:

Back
Top Bottom