The real reason... we download - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2003, 11:21 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 12:03 AM
The real reason... we download

The real reason people download music off the internet for free is because the record companies by in large are putting out crappy albums. Everyone knows that one song they love, but by in large the rest of the album is just well

When U2 puts out albums I don't even think about going to Kazaa. I know the whole album will be great, I want to own it, I love the pictures I get and I feel I've recieved a great product.

Yeah Yeah with the other reasons, technology has changed, why buy when it's free, etc.
Shame on the record companies for sueing people, they should make it worth our while to buy it not threaten with lawsuits

Just had to let that off my chest.... thanks for listening

Old 09-10-2003, 07:21 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:03 AM
The real reason I download is because Im too poor to afford music

And because you can't buy certain bands msuic here.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:45 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:03 AM
I don't download music... I don't agree with the practice or taking what is not mine. The record labels have been putting out crappy albums since the beginning of the industry - and while the most visable entertainers might have crappy albums, there are plenty of albums to lawfully purchase by excellent artists.

So, no, I don't agree with the shame put on the RIAA - because that is a slippery slope argument IMHO, and only leads to other in favor of pilfering arguments once other technologies develop.

I don't steal when I go out shopping to record stores, and I certainly wouldn't steal from the privacy of my own home. If I don't think I'll like a certain CD by an artist, I just don't buy it. Just like I don't watch certain movies, and I don't watch many television shows.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:48 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Hello,

Since this is the most recent thread about downloading, etc. I thought it'd be interesting to quote this article, that originally appeared in Wired:
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,60350,00.html

Quote:
Fear May Not Spur CD Sales
A barrage of copyright-infringement lawsuits from the recording industry may have succeeded this week in striking fear in the hearts of heavy file sharers.

But opponents of the Recording Industry Association of America's approach say its heavy-handed tactics are unlikely to prove effective over the long run. Rather than give up on file trading, they say, fans probably will either seek more-anonymous ways to swap music or collect tracks from artists not affiliated with the RIAA.

"If you're trying to instill fear, you may have success. But if you're trying to increase CD sales by getting people to stop sharing music, I don't think it will have any effect at all," said Brian Zisk, technologies director for the Future of Music Coalition.

Zisk believes some of the blame for falling CD sales lies not with file sharing but with the growth in popularity of other entertainments products, like DVDs, video games and even cell phones. As people spend more money on these items, they have fewer dollars left for CDs.
Michael Goodman, a Yankee Group analyst, said the recording industry's legal campaign appears to be having an effect on file traders, but is also stirring a consumer backlash.

According to Goodman, early indications show that the RIAA's crackdown has resulted in a decline in peer-to-peer file trading. In mid-June, simultaneous users for Fastrack (the network that supports Kazaa and Grokster) averaged about 4.5 million per day at its peak. By late August, the number had dropped to about 3.5 million users. While vacations may have been a factor, the majority of this decline is likely because of the threat of a lawsuit from the RIAA, he wrote.

Notably, however, the decline in CD sales accelerated during the period of reduced peer-to-peer file trading. On June 15, the day the RIAA launched a subpoena campaign against file traders, CD sales were down 6.1 percent year to date. In the seven weeks since launching the subpoena campaign, the decline in CD sales has accelerated 54 percent.
So what is the RIAA trying to achieve with this campaign? Who do they represent? I mean, sales have plummeted, so this is not good news for the members of the RIAA (the record labels). And who benefits from the settlements? The artists? Will the artists see any money from this?

BTW, HelloAngel, I partially agree with your sentiments (the part about the crappy albums ). No, seriously, I also don't download music (partly because I have a crappy dial-up at home). However, I don't see this just as downloading-to-have, but also as downloading-to-check-out. Just like radio, where you can check out music, you can look for new artists by downloading. IMO, this is a big part of the downloading pie.
You say you don't steal when you go out shopping to record stores. Neither do I, but I do often listen to records. Not only when I'm planning to buy them, but also just to check it out, to hear if it might be worth purchasing. Cutting off that area will decrease spending on music. I don't want to shell out $20 for a CD I don't know anything about and might not like (and yes, here in the Netherlands CD's are 20+ euros, so $20+).

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-10-2003, 02:47 PM   #5
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:03 AM
i've downloaded some, but not nearly as much as others i know. mainly, it's the case of me not wanting to buy an entire album when i only like one song. in that case, once itunes expands to pc users as well, i'll definitely be going that route instead.

the other case is the rare times when a cd is out of print and i can't find it used anywhere, so i download the album. something tells me no one will care that i downloaded two andy taylor albums, one of which wasn't even released in america.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:19 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:03 AM
Boycott all retail record stores in the month of October. It's a shame the artist will suffer, but the record companies must be taught a lesson. You can still support an artist by going to live shows. That's where they make most of their $ anyway.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:40 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I download because Im addicted.....
Old 09-10-2003, 06:16 PM   #8
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Boycott all retail record stores in the month of October. It's a shame the artist will suffer, but the record companies must be taught a lesson. You can still support an artist by going to live shows. That's where they make most of their $ anyway.
Bad idea, what about the people who work at the record stores, they should not lose thier jobs. I don't think the record stores acutally have anything to do with the record companies.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:54 PM   #9
The Fly

Linking stealing cloths and CD's is apples and oranges. Music is played on the radio for free all the time. Anyone who has ever bought a blank tape and recorded thier friend's favorite mix should also be acussed of stealing. What in theory is the difference between a tape player with a record button and Kazaa?

First and formost, artists should get paid. The fact is most artist get little to nothing from CD sales (the average is less then $0.03). Why do the record companies charge so much for a CD? Could it be time to lower the prices? Most other business in the face mass exidos try other methods to retain thier customers, why are the record companies not doing the same? Creativity amoung artist I would think is abundent but the record companies are not being creative, they are being hostile and alienating many who do so inocently, download a song on occasion.

Imagine if a CD was say $4.00 instead of $16.00. I think many people would find it a big waste of time to go buy a blank CD, spend an hour or two downloading each and every song from Kazaa.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:07 PM   #10
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Re: The real reason... we download

Quote:
Originally posted by mellyinsf
The real reason people download music off the internet for free is because the record companies by in large are putting out crappy albums. Everyone knows that one song they love, but by in large the rest of the album is just well
I always thought that was a funny argument. If I thought there was really nothing but shit out there, I wouldn't download at all...

I guess it's always fun to try to blame the music industry somehow, though.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:18 PM   #11
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon

I always thought that was a funny argument. If I thought there was really nothing but shit out there, I wouldn't download at all...

I guess it's always fun to try to blame the music industry ehow, though.
It is kinda a funny arguement. Here is the top ten albums out right now. I thought it was kinda funny. I like coldplay, I bought the album. They round out the top ten.

Mary J. Blige, Love & Life
Geffen | 000956* | Interscope

Hilary Duff, Metamorphosis
Buena Vista | 861006 | Walt Disney | (18.98 CD)

Various Artists, The Neptunes Present... Clones
Star Trak | 51295* | Arista | (11.98/18.98)

Alan Jackson, Greatest Hits Volume II And Some Other Stuff
Arista Nashville | 53097 | RLG | (12.98/19.98)

YoungBloodZ, Drankin' Patnaz
So So Def | 50155* | Arista | (12.98/18.98)

Beyonce, Dangerously In Love
Columbia | 86386* | Sony Music | (12.98 EQ/18.98)

Evanescence, Fallen 2
Wind-up | 13063 | (18.98 CD)

Soundtrack, Bad Boys II
Bad Boy | 000716* | UMRG | (11.98/18.98)

Chingy, Jackpot
Disturbing Tha Peace | 82976* | Capitol | (11.98/18.98)

Coldplay, A Rush Of Blood To The Head 2
Capitol | 40504* | (12.98/18.98
Old 09-11-2003, 06:04 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Hello,

Here's another interesting article about downloading/sharing music (and again it's from Wire):
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.10/fileshare.html

Summary (directly copied from Slashdot):
Quote:
What The RIAA Gets Out Of File Sharing
"Wired have a fascinating article about a company called BigChampagne which sells regional P2P download statistics to most of the major record labels. When the labels know what people are downloading, they know what to put on the radio, and sales in the area increase. The record industry's lawsuits against file- sharing companies hang on their assertion that the programs have no use other than to help infringe copyrights. If the labels acknowledge a legitimate use for P2P programs, it would undercut their case as well as their zero-tolerance stance."
So even record labels see the positive aspect of downloading/sharing music through P2P networks!

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-11-2003, 08:37 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

I think if the industry reduced prices, they might see the crisis ease... but for me, I've grown to like very little of what is out there - and no matter how many P2P networks there are, no matter how great iTunes is, the industry will never be able to force me to purchase something that I do not want to listen to, or bitch enough in the news about the state of things to convince me to go to the record store and help them out.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:40 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:03 AM
every medium that has ever come out has eventually gone down in price after it's release... except for CDs. they actually went up in price. think about it... in the 80's, when a successful movie was first released to VHS it cost like 90 bucks... now a video would cost like 10 bucks, and you can get a new movie on high quality dvd for no more than 20 bucks. meanwhile CDs are the same damn price they were when they first came out, if not more.

riddle me this one batman... i can buy 50 blank CD-Rs for like 10-12 bucks... yet they charge me 15 bucks for 1 studio CD by an artist, and the artist is only getting like 10-20 cents off each CD.

so let's try to figure this out... 50 cds at 12 bucks... that comes out to .24 cents per CD. And of course there's a mark up by the store and the people who made the CD-Rs, so let's make it more like .15 cents per CD. Now let's say it's a major artist with a sweet deal... .50 cents per CD. add a total of 1.50 for advertising, label design, employees, and various other overhead. So now we're up to $2.15 cents to make one CD. Let's use an average price of $15.99. Take $2.00 of markup profit for the store that sells the CD, and the amount going to the recording company comes out to $11.84 per CD. Now let's say the album sells 3 million copies world wide... what are the final stats for this?

$450,000 for the cost of each CD
$1,500,000 paid to the Artist
$4,500,000 for misc. overhead (advertising, etc)
$6,000,000 store profit
$35,520,000 to the record company

now these numbers are by no means exact... but i'd guess they're fairly close.

these numbers are rediculous... you're telling me the record company can't cut costs of CDs even more? They can, but they won't.

THAT is why I download
Old 09-11-2003, 01:11 PM   #15
you are what you is

usually when I hear about a band that interests me I d/l some of their stuff
if I really like it I'll buy the cd and delete the downloads from my harddrive and
if I don't really like it I just delete the downloads from my harddrive

I don't get who loses money on that

then again I don't think the RIAA is after me

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa