The real reason... we download

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:
You know what? I bought more albums at the height of the "Napster" era than I ever did. Sure, I downloaded some songs, but the RIAA should see the CD collection I amassed as a result of exposure to different musical genres that I would otherwise have never known about.

But therein lies the problem. If I buy, for example, a Brian Eno album, that doesn't sit well for the RIAA, because what they really want is for me to buy the new Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera album. Fifteen million copies sold on one album is far more profitable than 15 million copies sold on 15 million different albums. What the music industry really doesn't like about P2P sharing is that they no longer have any control as to dictating our listening habits anymore. I would really like to challenge their statistics, and, rather than look at their biased lump-sum sales statistics, lets see the stories of the once-"obscure" bands who have benefitted from downloading.

If I amassed a large CD collection as a result of these programs, I'm sure that there are many more like me.

Melon

Yep. Exactly.

Originally posted by yeblik
Not to bash anyone, but I live in a very rural area and decent shops are nowhere to be found, and I am able to obtain obscure cds (all i seem to buy anymore is obscure cds) by hunting them down online. Cash, or lack thereof, does play a large part in that hunt however, but I've found very good bargins by buying overseas and having it shipped to me instead of buying an import from a record store.

See, that's the thing...I've usually never had the money to buy a CD online. I would gladly do so, but I'm usually poor.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom