The real reason... we download - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2003, 07:20 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 05:27 AM

Headache in a suitcase I just could not agree more. Thanks for the stats. All I have to say is exactly

I don't want to make anyone mad here, sorry if I've rubbed the wrong shoulder, espcially hello angel

Old 09-12-2003, 03:31 AM   #17
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:27 AM
I might be wrong, but it looked like HA's angry face was at the state of what is currently out there, not you melly.
I agree with you and Headache, its the price that gets me. I dont buy many cds and dont download much more, just random songs every now and then but if the prices were realistic, I would not hesitate to buy them instead. And your point about downloading just being another form of hitting the record button on a tape deck or copying directly off the radio is true.
Its not a black and white issue though, there's truths in both ways of looking at it. The recording industry pissed me off long before the internet sucked their profits though.

Old 09-12-2003, 08:26 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:27 PM
I look at downloading as a way to be able to get the two Daniel Beddingfield/Atomic Kitten/Appleton/All Saints/Spice Girls/random crappy pop group songs that I like.

Let's face it - downloading has been instrumental in feeding our guilty pleasures.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:14 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Hello,

Here's another interesting article about the music business, contrasting it with the approach of the movie business.
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...626541,00.html

Quote:
Recording industry's missteps

By Michael Booth

The best-selling "Chicago" movie soundtrack is available on CD starting at $13.86.

The actual movie, with the soundtrack songs included, of course, plus additional goodies ranging from deleted musical numbers to the director's interview and a "making-of" feature, can be had for precisely $2.12 more.

Therein lies the problem for a critically wounded music recording industry: The "Chicago" CD looks like a rip-off, and the DVD looks like a steal.

Nearly everything the record companies have done wrong in the age of downloading has been done right by the movie studios.
It does not really have any direct connection with downloading, it's just a commentary with some suggestions for the music industry to go forwards.

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-15-2003, 07:29 AM   #20
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:27 AM
$$$

ja.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:21 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:27 AM
Ya know those bootlegs U2 have no problem with fans downloading and sharing at U2Bloodredsky.com?

Well, thanks to the RIAA, they're gone. Another victory for evil.
Boycott now.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:50 PM   #22
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

universal have announced they will lower the price of their cds. good move methinks
Old 09-17-2003, 07:18 PM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 05:27 AM
universal may set a new trend for all record companies.

but then again we must wait and see, "lowering" their prices may only mean a few dollars. I would like to see $10 taken off the price tags
Old 09-18-2003, 11:31 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
usually when I hear about a band that interests me I d/l some of their stuff
if I really like it I'll buy the cd and delete the downloads from my harddrive and
if I don't really like it I just delete the downloads from my harddrive

I don't get who loses money on that

then again I don't think the RIAA is after me

I would also like to see the price of CDs drop from near $20 to $10. I would buy a lot more CDs at $10 a pop than I do at $20. I can justify the ten bucks even if I only like a few songs, but as prices are now, I've only been buying CDs from artists whose entire albums I have liked in the past. For twenty bucks, I have to make sure I'm getting my money's worth. At ten, hey, it's not so bad if the rest of the album isn't so great.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:11 PM   #25
Babyface

I do not download (I think I've downloaded a grand total of one song in my entire life -- partially because of a lack of technical competence ), but then again I haven't purchased a major label release in years either. I'm pretty much an indie only music listener now. And the music business is certainly one of the (if not the ) most screwed up businesses in the world. But I have problems with the idea of downloading at will, because for many of the artists I love, there is a direct correlation between cd sales and having enough to pay the bills and support their families.

Even if artists make more money from doing live shows than selling cds, why should they give away their work? Would you like to be paid only for part of the work you do? And for artists who play smaller venues (vs large halls and stadiums) the difference between making a profit and sustaining a loss on a particular night may be whether or not it snows.

I agree that most major label cds are priced way too high, but I just very happily paid $20 USD (plus approx. $6 USD more for shipping) to buy the new cd by The Church (titled Forget Yourself ). And I would willingly pay more for it (I'll probably end up buying multiple copies and versions of it). It's on an indie label (Cooking Vinyl) and I purchased it through the band's official website, so their profit on it is higher than if I bought it at a retail store, or at another online source. I've been following the progress of this album through their website, on bulletin boards, in chat rooms, from it's inception. I understand that their costs are disproportionately high compared to those of major label artists. I would not even consider obtaining it from any source which does not compensate them for their work.

Unfortunately the RIAA has never cared about bands such as The Church (except for a brief time when they were signed to Arista and were touted as -- and you will get a laugh out of this -- "the next U2"), all they are interested in are the bands/artists who bring in boat loads of cash. And for the average fan it's hard to see how those acts are missing the profits of a few downloaded cds. But there are far more bands in the "just barely making it" or "not quite making it yet" catagories. And these are the ones which are really hurt.

Ok, ok, ok end of rant.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:50 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
usually when I hear about a band that interests me I d/l some of their stuff
if I really like it I'll buy the cd and delete the downloads from my harddrive and
if I don't really like it I just delete the downloads from my harddrive
Same here.

Two other reasons I download: I'm poor right now.

And also, when I lived in my old town, their CD selection of the bands I liked was very, very limited...greatest hits and maybe a couple of other CDs, and that was really it. And I'd already have those CDs.

So, as I got into bands like U2 or Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and wanted to hear more of their albums, I had to resort to downloading the songs off of Kazaa and other various things. A lot of the albums from my favorite bands were burned off the computer because they weren't sold in that town.

Course, now that I've moved and live closer to a big city which has a very nice variety of albums, and now that I'm looking around for a job...that could change.

I'll still download, though. I like checking out songs by artists that may not sell very well here and everything.

Angela
Old 10-21-2003, 01:03 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

You know what? I bought more albums at the height of the "Napster" era than I ever did. Sure, I downloaded some songs, but the RIAA should see the CD collection I amassed as a result of exposure to different musical genres that I would otherwise have never known about.

But therein lies the problem. If I buy, for example, a Brian Eno album, that doesn't sit well for the RIAA, because what they really want is for me to buy the new Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera album. Fifteen million copies sold on one album is far more profitable than 15 million copies sold on 15 million different albums. What the music industry really doesn't like about P2P sharing is that they no longer have any control as to dictating our listening habits anymore. I would really like to challenge their statistics, and, rather than look at their biased lump-sum sales statistics, lets see the stories of the once-"obscure" bands who have benefitted from downloading.

If I amassed a large CD collection as a result of these programs, I'm sure that there are many more like me.

Melon
Old 10-21-2003, 01:08 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

my thoughts exactly melon

plus, i download to stick it to the man
Old 10-21-2003, 02:14 AM   #29
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

And also, when I lived in my old town, their CD selection of the bands I liked was very, very limited...greatest hits and maybe a couple of other CDs, and that was really it. And I'd already have those CDs.

A lot of the albums from my favorite bands were burned off the computer because they weren't sold in that town.

Course, now that I've moved and live closer to a big city which has a very nice variety of albums, and now that I'm looking around for a job...that could change.

Angela
Not to bash anyone, but I live in a very rural area and decent shops are nowhere to be found, and I am able to obtain obscure cds (all i seem to buy anymore is obscure cds) by hunting them down online. Cash, or lack thereof, does play a large part in that hunt however, but I've found very good bargins by buying overseas and having it shipped to me instead of buying an import from a record store.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:57 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Hello,

I originally posted this as a reply to a thread in the MP3-forum, but I think it's also appropriate here.

For affordable CD's, look around a bit. From reading some posts on this forum it seems that Best Buy is cheap in the USA. Other sources may be online shops around the globe. I've found a shop in Hong Kong which offers CD's for less than 11 euro (converted) including free shipping!
http://www.cd-wow.com.hk
This shop has subsidiaries around the globe, so it's not just a small Hong Kong shop. In fact there's also a Dutch CD-Wow and a German one (and many more). However, they are more expensive than the Hong Kong outlet (with a price of 15 euro and 13 euro for a regular CD respectively). At the beginning of this month I ordered 2 CD's there (The Beatles with Rubber Soul and Emmylou Harris with Stumble Into Grace). A week later I received the CD's (in two separate packages) and they are like the regular CD's you buy in the shops. My credit card statement also didn't reveal any surprises (2 CD's, less than 22 euro).
Now, the selection of the shop isn't that big as some other online retailers like Amazon. But you can find most recent CD's there and quite a lot older titles. You can always try to find it there, but some very indie acts are not available there. My search for 'Church' did not reveal any CD's by The Church, just some albums by Charlotte Church. You can't have it all...

11 Euro per CD is not much. If it is cheap enough when there are only 1 or 2 good songs on it, that is something subjective. But a single also costs 5 euro (7 for a maxi-single) and you also buy that one for only one song.

C ya!

Marty

P.S. The US version can be found at http://www.cd-wow.net There the CD's are $13,95 including shipping.
P.P.S. For comparison sake, here in the Netherlands most CD's are 20 euro or more!