The Raveonettes - 'Pretty In Black'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
In late 2003, I stumbled across Whip It On and The Chain Gang Of Love, each for half price, as the store was going out of business. I hadn't heard much about The Raveonettes, but I had heard some good things, so I got them both. I've enjoyed both albums...which is why I was very excited when I learned there was a new album coming out: Pretty In Black. I was able to get a copy on Friday...wow! After several listens, I have easily concluded that I like this album even more than WIO and TCGOL. Want proof? I spent 4 hours driving yesterday with only that CD and Ryan Adams' Cold Roses...and The Raveonettes never left the player (sorry, Ryan).

The opener, "Heavens", took me by surprise...so subdued and gentle...and then the second track, "Seductress Of Bums", had me wondering if The Raveonettes had become softer and fuzzier. Not that I minded...the songs were both good. But then it kicked into the third song, "Love In A Trashcan"...and it's like, there they are! Kick ass, addictive song. As for some other songs...

Cover songs tend to make me nervous, so when I saw the title "My Boyfriend's Back", I wondered if it was a cover of the classic. Indeed, it was. Now, covers can be amazing (Ryan Adams' "Wonderwall") or horrific (Madonna's "American Pie"). I wouldn't say that this cover is amazing, but it is definitely enjoyable...a modern splash on an old favorite.

"Twilight" is my favorite...the whole song is awesome, and then when you think it's over, it comes back sounding cooler than ever, and you're like, how the hell did they manage that?? "Somewhere In Texas" has a small injection of country that helps mix it up a bit while still keeping their distinctive sound. When "You Say You Lie" starts, it instantly reminds me of Depeche Mode, circa the first half of the 80s. "Ode To L.A." sounds like The Go-Gos and the Beach Boys...but all hypnotic.

It's a damn good album!! People...I haven't even been listening to the new Ryan Adams album since I've gotten it! Do you realize what this means? It means that it is so wonderiffic that you must all check it out! You must! If you don't, I might cry.

A thank ya!

Just got it this weekend. I love the Raveonettes, and really hope they start getting more press. They're on tour right now - so check them out. They're great to party with too. Very sweet ppl.

I can't wait to check this out! I first got into them last summer when "That Great Love Sound" was used on that K-Mart advertisement and I thought it was the Jesus and Mary Chain... I still haven't got Chain Gang of Love but I'm trying to pick up a copy. Glad to know this one is recommended!

Back
Top Bottom