The Pro Wrestling Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night on Raw, Batista and Cena defeated Rhodes and Dibiase to become the new World Tag Team Champions. Another kick to the balls of the tag team division.

Plus, Flair and WWE have "contractually" parted ways. What does this mean? It means Flair can make appearances for non-WWE events and not have to worry about WWE preventing it. I wouldn't be surprised if Flair showed up on WWE-TV anyway. He'll just get paid for his appearances instead of being locked into a contract. What good is a contract when WWE was keeping Flair off TV anyway. Whatever Flair does, he SHOULDN'T be wrestling anymore.

now.. Simply Priceless re-won the belts...

Foley might be heading out of the WWE

and Edge is the best heel PERIOD

SUMMERSLAM THIS SUNDAY!!!

3 matches I'll be caring about at SS 2008:

Taker/Edge in the Cell- I think/hope Taker's gonna win. I'm sure there will be lots of blood.
CM Punk/JBL- All I'll say here is that JBL sucks. I hope Punk beats the shit out of him.
Cena/Batista-Cena is better than Batista and he should win here, but I've got no clue what the Hell is gonna happen. I'll be rooting for Cena.

One question:

Has anyone seen HBK's face lately? The guy's eyes are legit all fucked up. He scares me. I wonder what old bow-legged, freaky-eyed Shawn Michaels is gonna "announce" at SS.

If you didn't catch SummerSlam this year on PPV or elsewhere, the only match to really make sure you watch is Taker/Edge in The Cell. Taker looked awesome and so did Edge. They both proved once again that they are the two best talents in WWE currently.

I guess another thing to make sure you see is the "Shawn Michaels Announcement" segment. All I'll say is that Chris Jericho is fuckin' awesome!

My friend downloaded SS, so I pretty much just skipped to the endings. Cena/Batista was good, but maybe a little short considering the performers involved. I'm sure these two will square off a couple more times.

Last night on Raw, they announced a 5 Man Championship Scramble match at Unforgiven next month. World Champion CM Punk will be battling Cena, Batista, Kane and ugh, fuckin' JBL.

Also on Raw last night, more fun with Jericho and HBK. Good stuff. The rest of the show mostly sucked with horrible writing and bad booking.

Oh yeah, on Sunday night, WWE held their Unforgiven PPV. Matt Hardy is the new ECW Champion and Chris Jericho is the new Raw World Heavyweight Champion. I'm happy that Jericho has won the belt because he's one of my favorite wrestlers, but the way that he won it wasn't the greatest. CM Punk should've been allowed to defend his title at the PPV.

Well, the wacky world of pro wrestling has been sucking a lot lately, so there hasn't really been much to talk about.

A few items of note:

At TNA's PPV, Bound For Glory, a man called Sting defeated Samoa Joe to become TNA Champion for (I think) the 3rd time.

Hulk Hogan's son, Nick, was released from prison after serving a 5 month sentence for doing a lot of dumb shit. The Hulkster can rest easy for now. His son is back home and "safe".

WWE's "interactive" PPV, Cyber Sunday is coming up this Sunday. The fans can vote for the match opponent/type/special guest referee by "texting" their vote for 99 US cents. I guess WWE is just abandoning the whole "cyber" aspect of the PPV. It'll cost WWE fans almost 8 bucks just for the right to vote for a shitty PPV that will be overpriced at 40 bucks. :down:

I know I may be going back in time a bit.

But what does everyone think about all those "Kiss My Ass" skits that Vince McMahon did in the past?:lol:

I know I may be going back in time a bit.

But what does everyone think about all those "Kiss My Ass" skits that Vince McMahon did in the past?:lol:

I'm pretty sure everyone thinks it sucks.

Last night WWE had their Cyber Sunday PPV. The only thing of note is that Batista defeated Chris Jericho to become the new World Heavyweight Champion. Ugh. :mad:

Sad news for all of you old school WWF fans. S.D. (Special Delivery) Jones passed away at age 63 after suffering a stroke.

SD was the WWF's top jobber/enhancement talent in the early to mid 1980's. SD always gave his opponents a good fight and usually got in a lot of offense until the end the of the match when he would end up looking at the lights.

Cena is returning at the Survivor Series. Can't wait.

Right and he'll be facing the new Raw champ, Chris Jericho! Jericho defeated Batista last week on Raw to become champ once again. :up:

Huge rumor going around is that TNA Star Christian Cage will be returning to WWE after his TNA contract expires next month.
Christian left WWE in the Fall of 2005 because he felt that they weren't going to give him the main event push that he worked hard for. He left for TNA and, shortly after his arrival, they made him their champion. Christian is awesome and I hope he does come back to WWE and prove he should've never been forced to leave in the first place. :up:

I know it's way to early to predict these things.

But what matches do you think will be on the card for Wrestlemania XV next year?:hmm:

Well, I could see HHH battling Taker for the WWE title and Cena versus Batista for possibly the World Title.

Major pet peeve though is that WWE is calling the show the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania when that is incorrect. The 25th anniversary of WM is in 2010, but hey, whatever. They should just stick with simply WrestleMania 25.

Former WWE Champion, Brock Lesnar, defeated UFC Champion, Randy Couture, to become the new UFC Heavyweight Champion. The match took place last night at UFC 91.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this was only Lesnar's 3rd fight in UFC.

Cena is returning at the Survivor Series. Can't wait.

Last night at Survivor Series, Cena defeated Jericho to become the new World Heavyweight Champion. This is Cena's first time winning the "World" title. From what I've read, Cena/Jericho was the best match on the PPV.

Also, Edge made his return last night and he was inserted into the WWE title match between the WWE Champion, Triple H and Vladimir Kozlov. Thanks to some outside interference by Psycho Jeff Hardy, Edge is the new WWE Champion after pinning Triple H.

I think it's supposed to be Taker versus HBK at WM 25.

They've already squandered of Cena/Batista and HHH/Edge.

Well, I'm not too certain that its "supposed" to be Taker vs. HBK, but that's a possible match up as well. I'd love to see HBK get destroyed by Taker because we all know Taker never loses at WM. But, the last few years, Taker has been wrestling for championships and I don't see HBK getting a championship anytime soon.

[mark]
I feel like I'm really alone in this these days, but I'd like to see HBK with one more title run before he retires. If Taker vs. HBK were to happen at Wrestlemania, I think it would be the only fair way to end Taker's streak - HBK's been putting people over left and right in the last two years, it's Wrestlemania 25, and they're the two most loyal and consistently important WWE wrestlers of the last two decades. Austin, the Rock, HHH, and Cena may have had more mainstream exposure and popularity, but HBK held the company up when WCW was killing them. He's had some fantastic matches since his return - the first match with Jericho, the matches with Angle and Cena, HHH and Benoit.

I appreciate that the WWE is putting the belt on younger guys these days, but I wouldn't mind one last run. Too bad HBK's mic skills have eclipsed his wrestling. I think that he's just not as into it now. But the feud with Jericho was fantastic, one of the most well-developed and compelling in years. It went on a bit long, but still. His new feud/relationship with JBL looks to be pretty interesting, too, even if it is a bit too much on the "drama" side for my tastes. I would like to see HBK heel again, and if that's what comes out of this, I'm all for it. I think the problem is, though, that people love him so much that he gets cheered no matter what he does. Kind of the uber-tweener.

[/mark]

Man, you really are an HBK mark because there's no way that anyone, including HBK, is gonna beat the Taker at WrestleMania. Taker NEVER loses at WrestleMania. That is his legacy and even McMahon is not going to mess with that. I could see HBK beating Taker at another PPV, but not WrestleMania.

Now as far as HBK holding up the company when WCW was killing the WWF, that's not exactly true. Monday Nitro started beating Raw in the ratings during HBK's first title run in 1996. Then, during HBK's second WWF title run, HBK "lost his smile" and left the company while his Clique buddies down South were still beating McMahon in the ratings. Yeah, he really carried the company during the Monday Night Wars, uh, NOT! Meanwhile, guys like the Undertaker, Bret Hart, Steve Austin and Mankind were busting their asses to help the WWF defeat WCW once again. When the WWF finally beat WCW in the ratings, HBK was long gone from the WWF having lost the WWF title at WM 14 to Stone Cold ending his 3rd and final WWF title reign. (A title that he won thanks to the Montreal Screwjob).

Now, I think HBK is a great wrestler and he was definitely in his prime from 1992-1997, but he was also the biggest piece of shit in pro wrestling at the time. Abusing drugs and alcohol will do that to you. Hell, after a while, Triple H didn't even talk to him anymore. When HBK did finally return to WWE for good in 2002, he was still a pretty good wrestler and he was a better, more humble person too. Which is way more important.

HBK's feud with Jericho is probably the best feud of the year, but I don't see McMahon putting a major title around his waist. And I'm pretty sure HBK no longer cares about winning titles. He just wants to give the fans a good show.

No, I totally get HBK's ass-ness in the 90s, and I'm not trying to make an excuse for that. I think part of my problem with the Undertaker's Sacred Winning Streak is that I've never really cared for the Undertaker. I have immense respect for him and his legacy, but I just never really dug it.

I don't want this to be an antagonistic discussion at any rate, so anybody up for an arbitrary 25 All Time Favorite lists?

And to qualify my HBK carrying WWF remark, I wasn't really talking about ratings so much as I was quality of product. When the nWo was taking off, HBK was still having stellar matches. Other people who started taking off at the same time - Austin, later the Rock always bothered me. It seemed like the better Austin and Rocky got on the mic, the lazier they got in the ring. I always liked Austin circa the Hollywood Blondes and early SCSA, and I loved The Rock pre-HHH feud. But the big stars of the early Attitude era did little for me when they became stars (exception being Mick Foley).

Well, I had a little bit of downtime, so I actually came up with a list of my 25 All Time favorite wrestlers. Keep in my find this a list of my "favorite" wrestlers and not necessarily a list of the greatest wrestlers. But, most of the wrestlers on my list are the greatest of All Time.

1- Bret Hart
2- The Undertaker
3- Chris Jericho
4- Chris Benoit
5- Eddie Guerrero
6- The Rock
7- Steve Austin
8- Mick Foley
9- Owen Hart
10- Rob Van Dam
11- Davey Boy Smith
12- Curt Hennig