The Princess Trilogy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Even though this is about books I had a tough time deciding where to post this because these books have religion and politics written all over them. It's three books about a princess of the ruling family of Saudi Arabia who rebels against the repressive system in her country that leaves women at the mercy of men. It's legal for the men to do anything to the women in this country because of their religious laws, based on the ultra-conservative brand of Islam, Wahhabism, that's practiced in Saudi Arabia. These books are shocking. I read all three of them in four days, and I feel like I've been through an electrocution. This princess, who Jean Sasson has to call "Sultana" to protect her identity, risked her life to tell a writer from the U.S. her story to write for American audiences. Saudi men can kill, rape and do all sorts of horrible things to women, and it's all legal. Good grief. I read lurid reports of what the Taliban did to women, and that was actually worse. Still, this is a powerful indictment of Saudi society. These rigid customs are centuries old. Will they ever be changed? Your guess is as good as mine.
Mods, if this post is too "issue-oriented" for LS feel free to move it.
I'm not exactly talking jokes about imprisoned CEO's here.

tiny dancer, do *not* put that book down, and be sure to read the third one! These are some of the most amazing books I've ever read in my life, and I am a lifelong book-aholic.

Back
Top Bottom