The Postal Service.......the 80's are back!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis Presley

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Named for the way in which the two exchanged musical designs, The Postal Service, a super-group made up of indie rocker Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie) and techno guru Jimmy Tamborello (Dntel, Figurine), has seemed to find its way through loads of junk mail to come out on the top of the pile.

The two first collaborated for Dntel's full length Life is Full of Possibilities, recording the track "(This Is) The Dream of Evan and Chan." Tamborello did not personally know Gibbard when he asked him to lend his vocals and musical sciences to the Dntel's track, but Tamborello was extremely pleased with the final product Gibbard presented. Soon after, Gibbard made his way to L.A. where he and Tamborello laid down the song one afternoon in an hour. The song was pitched to the Sub Pop A&R label as an idea for an album, and the Postal Service was delivered.

The first CD-R that would morph into the first song for the Postal Service was received by Gibbard in December of 2001. With full compliance from Tamborello to alter the songs in any way that he thought needed, Gibbard began to add his brand to the mix including some guitar, drums, and keyboards recorded by fellow DCFC mate, Chris Walla, and sent it back to L.A.

Continuing this pattern for 10 months with two trips to L.A. interspersed between, The Postal Service completed their debut album Give Up. The 10 tracks that make up the album may have a slight Death Cab feel, but lyrically are polar opposites. Gibbard thought the music was too light to have heavy lyrics and for the first time he found himself writing about the positive aspects of love instead of the Adam-Sandler-Somebody-Kill-Me-Please-style to which he was so accustomed. The result is a foot-tapping, melody-humming album that includes the oh-so-sweet vocals of indie artist Jen Wood and Rilo Kiley's Jenny Lewis.

Tamborello and Gibbard are still committed to their respective bands, but they are more than willing to keep up the work for the Postal Service in the same manner in which it began. "I told Jimmy, 'Whenever you start sending me stuff is when we'll start working on the next Postal Service record.'" Let's just hope Newman doesn't get his hands on those cd's!

-Jennifer McCloskey

:up:

Musical trends are strange. And you had to know the 80's were coming, and you got to take the good with the bad - Postal Service is good.

yo no disk, i agree wholeheartedly.....if you would have told me that a new band would be coming out that had an 80's sound I would have laughed but this is good stuff.....

Apparently the "Humpty Dance" is my chance to do the hump.

That being said, I would like to check into this "so called" musical act. I've enjoyificated the one song of theirs that I've listened to.

EP, I believe you will be proud of me.

I downloaded a few more songs of this "so called" band named Postal Service last night.

I thoroughly enjoyed everyone I listenificated to. The possibility of me purchasing this cd in the future has been greatly increased.

You can watch the video for "Such Great Hights" on www.mtv.com .

It's pretty cool stuff. It fits with how the song feels, I like it, and I usually dont really like many music videos.

I really need to buy this cd as soon as I can, I really like the songs I've heard. I've always been a sucker for synthesizer bands like this though. Good stuff :up:

I listened to it yesterday at the listening post....I liked it...I just may get it

its worth it, i bought based on the first two songs and was not dissapointed in the rest at all.

if you get a chance I did a short review on the album in the newly acquired album reviews thread.....

-EP

it's awesome

I'm addicted to it

I could eat Such Great Heights

what a great song!

Back
Top Bottom