The Police Tour '07 - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
martha said:
Crap. They're playing Dodger Stadium in LA. :mad:

Maybe I'll go to Vegas instead. But it's a school night. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

L.A. date is June 23rd at Dodger Stadium (tickets on sale Monday, February 26th). Not a school night, school should be out :shifty:

when is the Best Buy pre-sale? I didn't check their site yet :hmm:

Lila64 said:

L.A. date is June 23rd at Dodger Stadium (tickets on sale Monday, February 26th). Not a school night, school should be out :shifty:

when is the Best Buy pre-sale? I didn't check their site yet :hmm:

It might be thursday as the Fanclub presale is on Friday at 10 am.

just got an email from Best Buuy:

June 13 – Oakland, CA - McAfee Coliseum
Presale begins: Feb. 22 at 10 a.m. local time

June 23 – Los Angeles, CA - Dodger Stadium

Aug. 5 – New York, NY - Giants Stadium

So two stadium shows go on sale simultaneously for California. That will really make Ticketmaster impossible to log into. And I may have to set my alarm for 10:00am, LOL.
Am I supposed to just go for expensive seats even if I can't afford them? Maybe martha & I can go and sit in some cheap seats. Like Martha said, I hate Dodger Stadium :angry:

Last edited:
STING2 said:

Where is your evidence of that? Every venue in the country reserves tickets for concerts for its season ticket holders.

Arthur Fogal knows precisely what is available or is not and exactly how fast tickets sold in Boston. Based on what he saw, he has added shows for GIANTS Stadium, Dodger Stadium, and Mcaffee Stadium. There were options to keep the shows in Arena's in these major markets if sales today and last Saturday were not as strong as predicted, but they were.

The general rule of thum in the concert industry, is if you can sellout a venue almost instantly, you will always be able at a minimum to sellout at least one more show.

They could do 3 shows at Fenway at a minimum, and probably a 4th if that one soldout in a day or two. The Police will likely be returning to Boston in the Fall to soak up some more of this demand with Arena shows.

Stadium shows are being considered for Philadelphia and Washington DC/Baltimore area. These are weaker markets than Boston for The Police.
Evidence is that I know several season ticket holders and this is the practice since concerts began at Fenway in 2003. There are currently somewhere between 24,000 and 30,000 seats not put on the market because season ticket holders are being given the opportunity o purchase a pair.

Hewson said:
Evidence is that I know several season ticket holders and this is the practice since concerts began at Fenway in 2003. There are currently somewhere between 24,000 and 30,000 seats not put on the market because season ticket holders are being given the opportunity o purchase a pair.

Knowing a few season ticket holders doesn't prove anything. It does not tell us exactly how many Police tickets have been given to the season ticket holders. It also does not show that demand for The Police in Boston is as low as you claim it to be. What evidence do you have for that? The show rapidly soldout yesterday of all available tickets. Most people on the Police message board were unable to get tickets during the public on sale. Those that did had to reduce the number of tickets they were going for from 4 or 5 to either one or two tickets, because the higher ticket numbers were not getting them any results.

Arthur Fogel, the tour promoter knows precisely how many tickets were sold through the Police Fan Club(reportedly 40% of the house in some markets) Best Buy, directly through ticket master, were given to business's, or are being provided for season ticket holders. Arthur Fogel and Michael Cohl are the top promoters on the planet and their touring company handles the top artist in the industry, including the Rolling Stones and U2. I think they know what their doing.

Notice the latest article in Billboard, the music business magazine:

First Police Shows Sell Out, New Dates Added

February 20, 2007, 12:15 PM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville
As expected, initial on-sales for the upcoming Police reunion tour sold out in minutes and more shows were quickly added. The band will also soon announce shows for Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles on June 23, and McAfee Stadium in Oakland on June 13.

On Saturday, two dates were sold out for the Air Canada Centre in Toronto (July 22-23), Montreal sold out one (July 25) and announced a second for July 26 that will go up this weekend. Vancouver sold out the May 28 tour opener, and announced another on May 30 that goes up next weekend.

Today, two Madison Square Garden shows (Aug. 1, 3) went up and sold out in a few minutes, and a Giants Stadium show for Aug. 5 across the river in East Rutherford, N.J., was added. A July 28-29 visit to Boston's Fenway Park also went clean.

The on-sales were "PRETTY DAMN HOT," Arthur Fogel, producer of the tour for TNA International, tells Billboard.com. "WE KNEW IT WAS STRONG, BUT IT'S ALWAYS NICE TO SEE IT UNFOLD IN REALITY. I'M ECSTATIC."

The next on-sales will be on Feb. 26 for Giants Stadium, Seattle (June 6), Denver (June 9), and Phoenix (June 18).

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003547650

Watch this weekend how the show in Oakland sells. The Oakland/San Francisco Bay area is a weaker market than Boston for rock concerts. While Boston is often an area where top artist like U2 and the Rolling Stones can play multiple stadium shows, the Bay area is often only good for one stadium show, sometimes two. The two shows combined at Fenway Park has a capacity of 70,000. Depending on the set up, a single show at Macaffee Stadium in Oakland can hold 60,000. If the Police sellout Macafee Stadium on the first day it goes on sale, that will be more proof that Boston was no fluke at all, regardless of the theory of how many tickets were withheld. Again, Oakland area is the weaker market of the two.

Plus, more evidence of demand will come from the on sales of the following shows this weekend and Monday:

Giants Stadium East Rutherford New Jersey
Dodger Stadium Los Angeles California
2nd show GM Place Vancouver Canada
2nd Show Bell Center Montreal Canada
1 possibly two shows at US Airways Arena Phoenix
1 possibly two shows at Seattle's Key Arena
1 possibly two shows at the Pepsi Center in Denver

If the Police sell all these shows out on the first day they go on sale this weekend and Monday, you can rest assured that the Police reunion tour will be the highest grossing tour of 2007 as well as one of the highest grossing tours of all time.

After each show is played, Billboard.com reports the exact results for each show, giving the total attendance, gross amount of money earned, and whether the shows soldout or not. The boxscores are reported in Billboard's weekly boxscore chart. You can view the current weeks chart here:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/boxscore.jsp

Starting this summer, you can go there every week to see exactly how well the Police are doing on the road from the business perspective. Boxscores from outside North America are reported as well.

As far as the highest grossing tours in North American history in a single Calendar year(January through December) go, these are the 10 highest currently:

1. The Rolling Stones "A Bigger Bang Tour" $162 million 2005
2. U2 "Vertigo Tour" $138.9 million 2005
3. The Rolling Stones "A Bigger Bang Tour" $138.5 million 2006
4. The Rolling Stones "Voodoo Loung Tour" $121.2 million 1994
5. Bruce Springsteen "The Rising Tour" $115.9 million 2003
6. U2 "Elevation Tour" $109.7 million 2001
7. Pink Floyd "Division Bell tour" $103.5 million 1994
8. Paul McCartney $103.3 million 2002
9. The Rolling Stones "Steel Wheels Tour" $98 million 1989
10. The Rolling Stones "Bridges To Babylon Tour" $89.3 million 1997

I predict The Police Reunion tour 2007 in North America will place in the top half of this list, especially if the on sales this weekend are as successful as this past weekend.

Considering the prices, it'll be easy to get atop that list.

The reason people on the Cops board couldn't get fenway is just what i'm telling you....for 2 shows, fenway would be about 72,000 tix.
Not even close to that many were released yesterday.
You don't have to believe me, but it is the case. fenway is a very different animal.
More will be released later after season tix holders get their option.
They were unable to offer the season tix holders the opportunity prior to the on sale due to the quick turnaround from announcement to sale, so many many tix are currently held.

Exactly. The Springsteen shows were "sold out" within minutes back in 2003, but it wasn't until just before the shows that additional seats went on sale for all the ones that season ticket holders didn't bother getting. That's how I scored two tickets 10 rows or so from the stage.

I anticipate the same thing happening this time as well.

martha said:

Take Maddy instead. I'm cool. :wink:

You know I was just kidding, right? :wink:
I want to take Maddy, but I don't think she really cares. She thinks she doesn't know that many Police songs, but I think if she saw a list or heard them, she would. But again, she just might be bored. I might end up going alone, but that would suck going to a stadium show alone. I haven't heard from my friends yet if they will be in town and going to the show. I could possibly go with them, even if I were to sit alone. Or buy 2 tix and sell one to their army of friends. Decisions decisions... :hmm:

And with season tix holders, are they given a period of time in which they can purchase tix, and if they don't, they are released? If so, shouldn't it be a very short window of time when the initial ticket sale begins, and after that, they are shit out of luck? Or do they have months, and then suddenly whole sections/blocks are released to the general public? I saw U2 at Dodger Stadium back in '92, but I think we were the last row of seats on the field. Basically watched the screens all night, cuz how can you see anything? :der:

I have my code for tomorrow's presale. However, after going to Ticketmaster's site, they only show 2 seating charts: one for regular Dodger Stadium baseball games and one for the Rolling Stones show. So how is one to know what seats are what price and what to try and buy based on affordability :angry:

This is the Stones set-up:

16364s.gif

Hewson said:
Considering the prices, it'll be easy to get atop that list.

The reason people on the Cops board couldn't get fenway is just what i'm telling you....for 2 shows, fenway would be about 72,000 tix.
Not even close to that many were released yesterday.
You don't have to believe me, but it is the case. fenway is a very different animal.
More will be released later after season tix holders get their option.

The average ticket price is less than the Rolling Stones, and only slightly more than U2. Tickets prices are based on demand.

Do you know how many tickets at Fenway Park have been released and can you site a source?

Arthur Fogel knows how many tickets have been released and sold, and his response to the sales is one word: "ECSTATIC".

More tickets are ALWAYS released in just about every venue around the world, after an initial sellout, for the most in demand tours. I've never heard anyone claim that selling out so quickly on the first day was some how not that great. Thats just absurd. The only way anyone could have done better than The Police did yesterday is if there were NO tickets available during the public on sale. That obviously has yet to happen at Fenway Park.

In any event, here are the official boxscore results for concerts at Fenway Park as reported by amusement business and posted on Billboard.com and in Billboard magazine:

Bruce Springsteen

Boston Mass. : September 6-7, 2003 : Fenway Park : ATTENDANCE 70,827 : GROSS $5,222,625 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

Jimmy Buffett

Boston Mass. : September 10, 12, 2004 : Fenway Park : ATTENDANCE 67,285 : GROSS $5,615,316 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

The Rolling Stones

Boston Mass. : August 21, 23, 2005 : Fenway Park : ATTENDANCE 70,428 : GROSS $10,686,758 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

The capacity is set by the promoter and differences in attendance for sellouts can be explained by a variety of reasons. Sometimes its because of the staging used by the artist, other times it may be do to repairs in the venue, and sometimes the promoter will set the capacity lower that the maximum capacity of the venue to insure a sellout. A sellout is considered to be the sellout of all tickets that are put on sell, not necessarily the sell of all potential seats in the stadium.

I don't have the Dave Matthews Band boxscore, but I don't think a concert there has yet to have a full 72,000 for two shows, suggesting that the maximum capacity for two concerts at Fenway park is a little less than 72,000 with seats on the field.

The Police will probably have an attendance figure of somewhere around 70,000 for their two shows and a gross of between 7 million and 8 million for the two shows.

phanan said:
Exactly. The Springsteen shows were "sold out" within minutes back in 2003, but it wasn't until just before the shows that additional seats went on sale for all the ones that season ticket holders didn't bother getting. That's how I scored two tickets 10 rows or so from the stage.

I anticipate the same thing happening this time as well.

Every venue whether it be a stadium, arena, or theater, will often have some tickets that are held back and then later released, regardless of whether the show initially sells out or not. It does not change the fact that tickets sold very quickly yesterday and from the view of those who actually know what tickets are available and which are not, the sales were very impressive.

I'm not saying (and I don't think Hewson is either) that the sales of the Police shows haven't gone well - they've of course sold all tickets that are currently available very fast.

All we are pointing out is that for Fenway, they have a very high number of season ticket holders, more so than other places (this is the Red Sox, after all). This means that there are literally thousands and thousands of tickets that are being held for them. After a certain timeframe, all the tickets that didn't get sold to season ticket holders will get released to the general public.

So technically, it's not a sellout yet. Will it eventually be one? Absolutely. But at this very moment, not every ticket is sold.

Lila64 said:
I have my code for tomorrow's presale. However, after going to Ticketmaster's site, they only show 2 seating charts: one for regular Dodger Stadium baseball games and one for the Rolling Stones show. So how is one to know what seats are what price and what to try and buy based on affordability :angry:

Well, they are showing it now...

18191s.gif

phanan said:
I'm not saying (and I don't think Hewson is either) that the sales of the Police shows haven't gone well - they've of course sold all tickets that are currently available very fast.

All we are pointing out is that for Fenway, they have a very high number of season ticket holders, more so than other places (this is the Red Sox, after all). This means that there are literally thousands and thousands of tickets that are being held for them. After a certain timeframe, all the tickets that didn't get sold to season ticket holders will get released to the general public.

So technically, it's not a sellout yet. Will it eventually be one? Absolutely. But at this very moment, not every ticket is sold.

Well, you could say that about any concert! Hewson is claiming that it would be a mistake to infer anything from the rapid sellout on Tuesday, and that simply is not the case.

Don't know if its Hewson, but on the Pearl Jam site, a poster even suggested the promoters had cancelled arena's and put in stadium shows and that they were making a big mistake, all on this theory that nearly half the tickets for Fenway Park have been withheld for season ticket holders and will go on sale later. Yes, you will see other tickets periodically go on sale for the Fenway Park show, just like many other venue's around the country.

Lets seem some hard factual data on exactly how many tickets have been withheld instead of just dreaming up a number, that its this or that.

Last edited:
Allegra said:
I'd hate to be in section 1 in the blue Top Deck at Dodger's.

Might as well stay home and wait for the DVD.

Not necessarily true. This is about music first, and a concert with quality sound is just as good from the front section to all the way at the back. I saw 3 POPMART shows on the POPMART tour, and my favorite show was actually at GIANTS Stadium on the top row at the very back, not because of the type of seats I had, but because the quality of the music that night, which was in no way diminished by the type of seats I had. Of course, its fun to be closer, but its still possible to enjoy a concert at the back of a stadium.

Allegra said:

Well, they are showing it now...

18191s.gif

Thanks for the update!

However, there's no way to know what price point goes to each section. I assume all field is $250, and that's just not do-able for me. For U2 and only U2, yes, not for The Police, sorry. I'd like to know where the $90 seats are and go from there. I'd hate to just pick the first tix that pop up tomorrow, but that might be the only option, I don't know. This is L.A. afterall. :shrug: :der:

phanan said:

Exactly my point.

In this particular case, a much higher percentage of tix are held for season tix holders than other venues.
That was part of the deal the Sox put in place when concerts at fenway became a reality.
The ownership wanted to play nice with everybody, the city, the neighborhood committe and the fan base.

I fully expect both shows to be sold out, my point is that the excitement Sting2 exhibits and the notion of selling out 3 and 4 Fenway shows are over the top.
2 is about right, and I think the secondary market will cool considerably once the initial hype wears off.

STING2 said:
I don't have the Dave Matthews Band boxscore, but I don't think a concert there has yet to have a full 72,000 for two shows, suggesting that the maximum capacity for two concerts at Fenway park is a little less than 72,000 with seats on the field.

I used 72,000 as a round figure because I remember the listed capacity for Bruce's shows at somewhere between 35,000 and 36,000 (there was a big write up prior to the shows).
So it was 70,827...you're really splitting hairs there. And there have been some added seats since then.

STING2 said:

Not necessarily true. This is about music first, and a concert with quality sound is just as good from the front section to all the way at the back. I saw 3 POPMART shows on the POPMART tour, and my favorite show was actually at GIANTS Stadium on the top row at the very back, not because of the type of seats I had, but because the quality of the music that night, which was in no way diminished by the type of seats I had. Of course, its fun to be closer, but its still possible to enjoy a concert at the back of a stadium.
Thats a personal choice.
Some people have the "I don't care where I sit, I just wanna be in the building" outlook.
While others want to be able to see the show as well as hear it.

Well, I barely woke up in time, told mother nature to call back, and just went for the first pair of $95.00 tix that came up, cuz I was panicky

Section 138 Loge, Row F, Seats 1-2

I was afraid to 'search again' to see what would come up, cuz they might have been worse. I didn't want to bother trying for $225 tix that I couldn't afford. And I was able to use what little Amex Rewards Points I had to save about $40. So... Guess I'll be there! :hyper:

And just as I was trying to "check-out", my doctor's office was returning my call. I had to make them hold. Luckily it wasn't the actual doctor!

thanks! Like I said, I was worried about tossing the tickets back and trying again, cuz usually the first ones that come up are the best. Who knows!

Back
Top Bottom