The Police Tour '07 - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phanan said:
Gold Hot Seat Package tickets are still available.

How shocking.

I checked at 2 and half hours after the on sale started and there was not even a single ticket available at regular price, silver hot package or gold hot package for either of the Fenway Park shows or Madison Square Garden shows.

So thats 70,000 tickets for two Fenway Park shows soldout at about as fast as those tickets could be sold, plus another 40,000 for two shows at Madison Square Garden, 40,000 for two shows in Toronto, as well as 20,000 tickets in Vancouver, 20,000 in Montreal gone in a flash!

They could easily play a 3rd show at Fenway Park, but I don't know if thats allowed or if there is room in the Schedual for it. With demand rates this high, this almost insures they will be playing stadiums in Philadephia and Washington DC/Baltimore. The more difficult question would be if they could do multiple stadium shows in Philadelphia and Washington DC/Baltimore. Only 5 tours have ever done multiple stadium shows in both of those markets on the same tour within roughly the same time frame, and the last time that was done was in 1994 by the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd.

STING2 said:

I checked at 2 and half hours after the on sale started and there was not even a single ticket available at regular price, silver hot package or gold hot package for either of the Fenway Park shows or Madison Square Garden shows.

Check again. I just tried a single gold hot package ticket for the second Fenway show and section B1, Row 2 came up.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
as someone who seems to have every single tour stat available at your fingertips i'm sure you know that it's regular practice for acts to book multiple shows and not announce them at first, even though they know full well that they will "add" it on.

Certainly, but thats because they don't want to get stuck with a second show that does not sell well in case their predictions about the market are incorrect. U2 booked 5 shows for Giants Stadium on the POPMART tour, but they only were able to initially put two shows on sale because of demand. A third show was added, but that was it.

phanan said:

Check again. I just tried a single gold hot package ticket for the second Fenway show and section B1, Row 2 came up.

Right, and thats the only ticket available in the whole stadium at the moment. When you bring up the ticket, it gets taken out of circulation for at least 2 minutes. When you try going back in during that time, nothing else comes up.

More tickets may periodically become available because credit card purchase don't go through, someone given tickets does not use them etc.

Last edited:
U2FanPeter said:

Were they locked into fixed setlists 23-30 years ago?

I don't have enough Police bootlegs to say so with certainty. I think there were some small variations, but most of the shows from the same tour, that I have, generally have the same set list.

Realize that the Police only had 5 albums. Obviously the early tours could not have much variation because well, there was only so much material to work with. On the Synchronicity Tour, The Police wanted to promote the new album and they played 9 songs from it. The masses wanted to hear the hits and they got to hear 9 of them prior to Synchronicity. Only 3 album tracks that were not hits, prior to the Synchronicity album, were played on the Synchronicity shows that I own.

You can't really say that U2 had more variation on their first 5 tours.

For this tour, The Police have 54 album tracks and 15 non album tracks. I think they will probably pick what they think are their best 30 songs, nearly half of the songs they have, and learn and rehearse those songs. But who knows. Anything is possible really, but they only have 3 months before the Vancouver show and Sting still needs to finish up his Lute tour which ends in Mid-March.

Obviously, I think you will hear a wider variety of songs on this tour than you will have heard on any previous tour by The Police or Sting solo.

Last edited:
STING2 said:

Right, and thats the only ticket available in the whole stadium at the moment. When you bring up the ticket, it gets taken out of circulation for at least 2 minutes. When you try going back in during that time, nothing else comes up.

More tickets may periodically become available because credit card purchase don't go through, someone given tickets does not use them etc.

Well, then it's not a sellout yet.

STING2 said:

They could easily play a 3rd show at Fenway Park, but I don't know if thats allowed or if there is room in the Schedual for it.
Only 2 shows are allowed at Fenway per annum.

And I expect the secondary markets to be flooded and a lot of relases later like with the Stones at Fenway.
Lots of tix have yet to be sold for fenway, held for Sox season tix holders to buy if they want etc.

Anyone who got shut out at Fenway don't pay stupid prices now...tix will be plentiful in July for reasonable dollars, many around face.

phanan said:

Well, then it's not a sellout yet.

When people are unable to obtain tickets for any reason to a particular show, then it is indeed considered to be a sellout. The vast majority of people are buying more than one ticket and will never see this ticket which probably just popped back into the system for a whole number of reasons. Happens with any show that sells out. Over the coming days and weeks, more tickets will periodically become available in small amounts. Thats how the system works for every show that sells out.

Based on the speed of the sellouts at Fenway Park, its just been announced that the Police will be playing GIANTS Stadium on August 5, as well at McAfee Coliseum in Oakland California and Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles California!

Hewson said:
Only 2 shows are allowed at Fenway per annum.

And I expect the secondary markets to be flooded and a lot of relases later like with the Stones at Fenway.
Lots of tix have yet to be sold for fenway, held for Sox season tix holders to buy if they want etc.

Anyone who got shut out at Fenway don't pay stupid prices now...tix will be plentiful in July for reasonable dollars, many around face.

Based on the rapid sellouts, The Police's tour promoter has just announced the following:

The Police: Sell Out Madison Square Garden, Fenway Park, Canadian Shows; Additional Shows Announced Today

New York Madison Square Garden - 2 shows sold out in 14 minutes!
Boston Fenway Park - 2 shows sold out!
Additional Shows Confirmed - E. Rutherford, Los Angeles & Oakland!

LOS ANGELES, Feb. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Following last week's momentous
performance and announcement of their world tour, tickets for The Police
have sold out in all markets announced thus far. Beginning this past
weekend with sell-outs in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, this morning
also saw immediate sell-outs for the two Madison Square Garden performances
(both shows sold out in 14 minutes) as well as complete sell-outs for both
Fenway Park performances. In all, 8 shows have sold out with second shows
also announced in Vancouver and Montreal.
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20070220/LATU096LOGO)
As a result of this morning's sell-outs a third New York area play at
Giants Stadium -- Sunday, August 5th in E. Rutherford has also been
confirmed. Tickets for that event will go on sale on Monday, February 26th.
In addition, tour promoters The Next Adventure confirmed today that The
Police will perform June 13th at McAfee Coliseum in Oakland (tickets on
sale Sunday, Feb. 25th) as well as June 23rd at Dodger Stadium in Los
Angeles (tickets on sale Monday, February 26th).
Special guest Fiction Plane will join The Police for the North American
portion of the tour. Known for their high-energy live shows, this dynamic
rock trio will be releasing their second album in May. Fiction Plane are:
Joe Sumner (Bass); Seton Daunt (Guitar); Pete Wilhoit (Drums).
The North American tour is presented by Best Buy. In the United States,
members of Best Buy's Reward Zone program will have the opportunity to
access tickets prior to the general public. To qualify for the presale,
participants need to be 18 years old or older and must have a current
Reward Zone program membership that was activated by February 1, 2007.
Presale tickets will be sold through Ticketmaster on a first come first
served basis. Complete details of the Reward Zone program presale can be
found at http://www.bestbuy.com/thepolice.
A portion of the proceeds from this tour will be donated to WaterAid,
an international NGO founded in 1981 and dedicated to reducing poverty by
improving access to safe water, sanitation, and hygiene education.
The Police World Tour is produced by The Next Adventure, a Live Nation
Company in association with RZO Entertainment, Inc.
For complete tour & ticket information, fan club memberships and more visit:
http://www.thepolicetour.com

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-20-2007/0004531027&EDATE=

Tickets will obviously become available in other ways in the months ahead, but it would be a mistake to presume that the quantity and price levels will automatically be there for anyone trying to go to the shows. Near instant sellouts like this indicate very strong demand. A 3rd and potentially 4th show could be added at Fenway park if the rules were relaxed as far as the number of shows.

Last edited:
Don't be fooled too much by Fenway just yet Sting2...the Sox typically hold back a pair of tix to offer for each season ticket account....thats 10s of thousands of seats not put up for sale today that a percentage of which will later come available.(Many season tix holders will likely pass when they see the price as many got burned thinking they could profit off of $tones tix at $450 and $165 face in 2005)

They could not do 3 or 4 Fenway shows if rules allowed (which they don't).

Last edited:
Considering that I was still able to get some sort of ticket two hours afterwards, I'd think they'd be stretching it thin if it went to a third show, which of course it won't as they won't be allowed.

Hewson said:
Don't be fooled too much by Fenway just yet Sting2...the Sox typically hold back a pair of tix to offer for each season ticket account....thats 10s of thousands of seats not put up for sale today that a percentage of which will later come available.(Many season tix holders will likely pass when they see the price as many got burned thinking they could profit off of $tones tix at $450 and $165 face in 2005)

They could not do 3 or 4 Fenway shows if rules allowed (which they don't).

Where is your evidence of that? Every venue in the country reserves tickets for concerts for its season ticket holders.

Arthur Fogal knows precisely what is available or is not and exactly how fast tickets sold in Boston. Based on what he saw, he has added shows for GIANTS Stadium, Dodger Stadium, and Mcaffee Stadium. There were options to keep the shows in Arena's in these major markets if sales today and last Saturday were not as strong as predicted, but they were.

The general rule of thum in the concert industry, is if you can sellout a venue almost instantly, you will always be able at a minimum to sellout at least one more show.

They could do 3 shows at Fenway at a minimum, and probably a 4th if that one soldout in a day or two. The Police will likely be returning to Boston in the Fall to soak up some more of this demand with Arena shows.

Stadium shows are being considered for Philadelphia and Washington DC/Baltimore area. These are weaker markets than Boston for The Police.

Last edited:
phanan said:
Considering that I was still able to get some sort of ticket two hours afterwards, I'd think they'd be stretching it thin if it went to a third show, which of course it won't as they won't be allowed.

A single ticket that many did not know was even available is irrelevant. Again, if they felt that ticket sales for Fenway were weak, they would not be adding stadium shows in other markets. Boston was the test market, and they were obviously very pleased with how fast tickets sold for the show.

Sure tickets for all of these shows will become available in some way after the initial sellouts, but that can be said about any show, even for U2 and the Rolling Stones.

Whats more, putting tickets on sale during the work day should have weakened initial demand, but it didn't even touch it.

This weekend The Police will put on sale second shows in Vancouver and Montreal, which will likely rapidly sellout leading to a higher gross for The Police in Vancouver and Montreal than what U2 grossed on the Vertigo tour in those cities two years ago!

Wow, selling Giants after two MSG shows...that's right around 100,000 area tix total. These boys are confident. :wink: Don't think it will knock the sails out of the MSG scalper market much though as one of those is a Friday show, a more intimate venue and central location.

McAffee Stadium? Booooo!
I was hoping for Bay Area arena show(s).
I'm not paying $225+ to sit 2 miles away.
I'm not paying $90+ to sit 5 miles away either.

Hopefully, the 2nd North American Leg will be all indoors.

The OOTS said:
McAffee Stadium? Booooo!
I was hoping for Bay Area arena show(s).
I'm not paying $225+ to sit 2 miles away.
I'm not paying $90+ to sit 5 miles away either.

Hopefully, the 2nd North American Leg will be all indoors.

There is no guarantee that the band will be returning to the bay area in the fall. They will be in Europe for September and October, and will only return to North America for shows in November and December in which they will likely play much of the south south eastern part of the United States. Starting in 2008 they will be hitting shows in Mexico, South America, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. In Boston, the $225 tickets were only for the first section in front of the stage, probably at best 5,000 tickets. The rest of the seats on the field were in the $90 dollar range. No seats in the stands were in the $225 range.

I'd say a stadium show is a great opportunity for everyone to get tickets and makes scalpers ability to make money more difficult. I wouldn't pass up the opportunity because they may not be back in the Bay area in the late Fall.

STING2 said:

There is no guarantee that the band will be returning to the bay area in the fall. They will be in Europe for September and October, and will only return to North America for shows in November and December in which they will likely play much of the south south eastern part of the United States. Starting in 2008 they will be hitting shows in Mexico, South America, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. In Boston, the $225 tickets were only for the first section in front of the stage, probably at best 5,000 tickets. The rest of the seats on the field were in the $90 dollar range. No seats in the stands were in the $225 range.

I'd say a stadium show is a great opportunity for everyone to get tickets and makes scalpers ability to make money more difficult. I wouldn't pass up the opportunity because they may not be back in the Bay area in the late Fall.

I'll take a wait and see for the 2nd leg.
I've already seen The Police in a stadium 24 years ago. U2 did 4 bay area arena shows on both Elevation and Vertigo and had no problems selling out. The Police could do the same. It will depend if they can stand each other long enough to make more $$$.

If they don't swing by during Leg 2, I'll opt for the $20 dvd come Xmas and listen to my 1979 bootlegs which will kick more ass than anything they could pull off in 2007.

The OOTS said:

I'll take a wait and see for the 2nd leg.
I've already seen The Police in a stadium 24 years ago. U2 did 4 bay area arena shows on both Elevation and Vertigo and had no problems selling out. The Police could do the same. It will depend if they can stand each other long enough to make more $$$.

If they don't swing by during Leg 2, I'll opt for the $20 dvd come Xmas and listen to my 1979 bootlegs which will kick more ass than anything they could pull off in 2007.

In my experience, the sound in a stadium is just as good as the sound in an arena, sometimes its even better. The key difference for most people will be the distance from the stage. But hey, this is music, not a runway fasion show in Milan.

Ticketsnow.com already has Police tickets available at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles for an average price of $2,550 dollars. Many of the tickets are on the field. Top price is just shy of $8,000 dollars.

STING2 said:

In my experience, the sound in a stadium is just as good as the sound in an arena, sometimes its even better. The key difference for most people will be the distance from the stage. But hey, this is music, not a runway fasion show in Milan.

I'd like to be able to 'see' the show. In a stadium, you run the risk of not seeing anything except isolated shots of band members on video screens for $225+/$90+. This is going to be a stripped down show, so there probably won't be any U2-type visual extavaganzas to accompany the performance other than simple screens. I strongly prefer the more intimate arena settings.

Even without my $225 donation, (which I would consider for a good arena seat) I'm sure it will have no problem selling out :wink:

Most people on the Police fanclub message board report being shut out of the Boston public sale. There were a few who got some singles. The general lesson being(unless you want to play the game with the scalpers) that when you have an opportunity to get tickets through the fan club, use it, even if its for seats that you don't really want, because you run the risk of not getting anything in the general sale.

Back
Top Bottom