The Police Tour '07 - Part 2 - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #421
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter


Just to be a douchebag, I'd thought it would be a good time for this quote.

Richard Branson must have given them a hot air balloon full of cash to get them to agree to play 3 days in a row.

u2fp
Its funny, but 25 years ago this summer, Richard Branson and Sting were in a high court battle over the details of Sting's 1976 music publishing deal that he signed with Richard Branson's label before joining The Police.
__________________

__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 09:03 PM   #422
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter


The middle show may be a condensed "festival set", whereas the 2 NYC shows will be full length shows.

yeah, most defintely will be slightly shorter depending on whether they will be the last band of the night if so they could do a hour and half easy. I went to the last Vfestival here in maryland and RHCP were the last band and it seemed to be a normal set to me.

We will see I guess..
__________________

__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #423
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 08:58 AM
The Police soldout their show in Paris at the Stade De France in 90 minutes! Thats 79,000 tickets sold in 90 minutes!

The Rolling Stones by comparison were only able to sell 62,714 tickets to their show at the Stade De France after it was on sell for months.


http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?sit...=1174493480000


http://www.radio-music.org/article.php?sid=8268&thold=0
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #424
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,495
Local Time: 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
The Police soldout their show in Paris at the Stade De France in 90 minutes! Thats 79,000 tickets sold in 90 minutes!

The Rolling Stones by comparison were only able to sell 62,714 tickets to their show at the Stade De France after it was on sell for months.


http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?sit...=1174493480000


http://www.radio-music.org/article.php?sid=8268&thold=0

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
The_acrobat is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #425
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,585
Local Time: 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
The Police soldout their show in Paris at the Stade De France in 90 minutes! Thats 79,000 tickets sold in 90 minutes!

The Rolling Stones by comparison were only able to sell 62,714 tickets to their show at the Stade De France after it was on sell for months.
Is it true that several German Police dates are selling at "a Stones pace"?

There's also talk of some band rehearsals happening now in Italy.

I've been reading the Stingus.net boards.
__________________
U2FanPeter is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #426
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter


Is it true that several German Police dates are selling at "a Stones pace"?

There's also talk of some band rehearsals happening now in Italy.

I've been reading the Stingus.net boards.
There are Police tickets available at all price levels in Germany for the 3 stadium they are doing there. Its unclear how many tickets have been sold though. The average ticket price is double of what U2 charged 2 years ago. None of the Stones shows last year in Germany soldout, and only two of them got above the 50,000 mark.

I think the German shows will eventually sellout provided that they continue to sell well in the remaining European countries. Many fans without tickets in those countries will likely go into the German market.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #427
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,585
Local Time: 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2


There are Police tickets available at all price levels in Germany for the 3 stadium they are doing there. Its unclear how many tickets have been sold though. The average ticket price is double of what U2 charged 2 years ago. None of the Stones shows last year in Germany soldout, and only two of them got above the 50,000 mark.

I think the German shows will eventually sellout provided that they continue to sell well in the remaining European countries. Many fans without tickets in those countries will likely go into the German market.
If a good opening act is added, it would also greatly help sales. Dodger Stadium has the only "name" opener, with the Foo Fighters, on The Police Tour.

It's also easy to forget that Sting just played a European tour less than 3 weeks ago!!

u2fp
__________________
U2FanPeter is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #428
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 12:58 AM
I'd like to be rehearsing in Italy.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #429
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter


If a good opening act is added, it would also greatly help sales. Dodger Stadium has the only "name" opener, with the Foo Fighters, on The Police Tour.

It's also easy to forget that Sting just played a European tour less than 3 weeks ago!!

u2fp
That was a different kind of tour though playing small theaters and clubs. But he did play places in Europe last year with a band.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #430
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter


If a good opening act is added, it would also greatly help sales. Dodger Stadium has the only "name" opener, with the Foo Fighters, on The Police Tour.

It's also easy to forget that Sting just played a European tour less than 3 weeks ago!!

u2fp
The only reason the Foo Fighters got that opening slot was because they are good friends with Stewart and live in the area. They were not put on the bill to help sell tickets, otherwise they would be opening in Edmonton, Hartford or other places. When the prices are high, even popular opening acts have difficulty in helping the headlining band much. The Rolling Stones put Metallica on the bill for their two shows in the Oakland/San Francisco area and the shows still did not sellout. The Police have soldout their show there though, and could easily fill up another without the aid of an opening "name" artist.


The Foo Fighters are big name in rock circles, but they are unable to do a basic arena tour on their own. They are primarily a still a theater band at $30 to $40 dollar ticket prices. They did a co-headlining arena tour of about 20 shows in big cities with Weazer, but without Weazer they would still be playing the smaller venues, primarily theaters.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #431
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 03:58 AM
I'm now the proud owner of Police tickets for July 3rd in St. Paul!

__________________
onebloodonelife is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 10:53 PM   #432
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,585
Local Time: 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2


The only reason the Foo Fighters got that opening slot was because they are good friends with Stewart and live in the area. They were not put on the bill to help sell tickets, otherwise they would be opening in Edmonton, Hartford or other places. When the prices are high, even popular opening acts have difficulty in helping the headlining band much. The Rolling Stones put Metallica on the bill for their two shows in the Oakland/San Francisco area and the shows still did not sellout. The Police have soldout their show there though, and could easily fill up another without the aid of an opening "name" artist.


The Foo Fighters are big name in rock circles, but they are unable to do a basic arena tour on their own. They are primarily a still a theater band at $30 to $40 dollar ticket prices. They did a co-headlining arena tour of about 20 shows in big cities with Weazer, but without Weazer they would still be playing the smaller venues, primarily theaters.
Van Morrison was a last minute cancellation for the Stones Nov 2006 appearance in a Vancouver Stadium. 3 months later he came back to sell out an arena(12,000+) all by himself with tickets upwards of $150. I think it's fair to say that him being added to the Stones bill helped sell 10,000 extra tickets.

I actually put FF somewhere between an arena act and a theater act. They also played stadium sized places in the UK and Europe(?) a summer or two ago

u2fp
__________________
U2FanPeter is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 04:07 PM   #433
Blue Crack Supplier
 
kellyahern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Posts: 34,698
Local Time: 04:58 AM
The tickets came in the mail yesterday .
__________________
kellyahern is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 05:37 PM   #434
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter


Van Morrison was a last minute cancellation for the Stones Nov 2006 appearance in a Vancouver Stadium. 3 months later he came back to sell out an arena(12,000+) all by himself with tickets upwards of $150. I think it's fair to say that him being added to the Stones bill helped sell 10,000 extra tickets.

I actually put FF somewhere between an arena act and a theater act. They also played stadium sized places in the UK and Europe(?) a summer or two ago

u2fp
Well, a theater is much smaller than an arena. Your average theater is between 1,500 and 3,000 seats. Arena's have capacities between 14,000 and 20,000. The Foo Fighters would be unlikely to sellout ANY arena's in North America, on their own, because on average they were unable to sellout any arena's on their co-headlining tour with Weezer in 2005.

Here are the results of the Foo Fighters co-headlining tour with Weezer in 2005 in North America:

GROSS $9.1 million : ATTENDANCE 247,285 : Average Attendance 10,304 : Average ticket price $36.62 : Number of Shows 24

Essentially, the Foo Fighters were only able to sell a little more than half of the arena's available seats at a low ticket price of $36.62 with Weezer as a co-headliner. Without Weezer, its obvious average attendance would likely fall by 50% to about 5,000 putting the band in the theater(1,500-3,000) catagory. Obviously, they could do multiple theater shows in the big markets, but on their own as of 2005, that is indeed the right size venue for them.

I don't know what Venue's Foo Fighters played in Europe 2 years ago, but playing a stadium or festival ground with 6 other artist or 10 other artist certainly does not count.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 03-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #435
War Child
 
clifedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MD
Posts: 926
Local Time: 03:58 AM
Churchill Downs tickets went on sale today. I got a seat on the dirt track for $50! Over on the side (section D13), but still, not bad at all.
__________________

__________________
clifedge is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com