The Police Tour '07 - Part 2 - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #421
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter

Just to be a douchebag, I'd thought it would be a good time for this quote.

Richard Branson must have given them a hot air balloon full of cash to get them to agree to play 3 days in a row.

u2fp
Its funny, but 25 years ago this summer, Richard Branson and Sting were in a high court battle over the details of Sting's 1976 music publishing deal that he signed with Richard Branson's label before joining The Police.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:03 PM   #422
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:58 AM
Quote:

The middle show may be a condensed "festival set", whereas the 2 NYC shows will be full length shows.

yeah, most defintely will be slightly shorter depending on whether they will be the last band of the night if so they could do a hour and half easy. I went to the last Vfestival here in maryland and RHCP were the last band and it seemed to be a normal set to me.

We will see I guess..

Old 03-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #423
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The Police soldout their show in Paris at the Stade De France in 90 minutes! Thats 79,000 tickets sold in 90 minutes!

The Rolling Stones by comparison were only able to sell 62,714 tickets to their show at the Stade De France after it was on sell for months.

http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?sit...=1174493480000

http://www.radio-music.org/article.php?sid=8268&thold=0
Old 03-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #424
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
The Police soldout their show in Paris at the Stade De France in 90 minutes! Thats 79,000 tickets sold in 90 minutes!

The Rolling Stones by comparison were only able to sell 62,714 tickets to their show at the Stade De France after it was on sell for months.

http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?sit...=1174493480000

http://www.radio-music.org/article.php?sid=8268&thold=0

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #425
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Is it true that several German Police dates are selling at "a Stones pace"?

There's also talk of some band rehearsals happening now in Italy.

I've been reading the Stingus.net boards.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #426
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Is it true that several German Police dates are selling at "a Stones pace"?

There's also talk of some band rehearsals happening now in Italy.

I've been reading the Stingus.net boards.
There are Police tickets available at all price levels in Germany for the 3 stadium they are doing there. Its unclear how many tickets have been sold though. The average ticket price is double of what U2 charged 2 years ago. None of the Stones shows last year in Germany soldout, and only two of them got above the 50,000 mark.

I think the German shows will eventually sellout provided that they continue to sell well in the remaining European countries. Many fans without tickets in those countries will likely go into the German market.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #427
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

There are Police tickets available at all price levels in Germany for the 3 stadium they are doing there. Its unclear how many tickets have been sold though. The average ticket price is double of what U2 charged 2 years ago. None of the Stones shows last year in Germany soldout, and only two of them got above the 50,000 mark.

I think the German shows will eventually sellout provided that they continue to sell well in the remaining European countries. Many fans without tickets in those countries will likely go into the German market.
If a good opening act is added, it would also greatly help sales. Dodger Stadium has the only "name" opener, with the Foo Fighters, on The Police Tour.

It's also easy to forget that Sting just played a European tour less than 3 weeks ago!!

u2fp
Old 03-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #428
She's the One

Local Time: 12:58 AM
I'd like to be rehearsing in Italy.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #429
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

If a good opening act is added, it would also greatly help sales. Dodger Stadium has the only "name" opener, with the Foo Fighters, on The Police Tour.

It's also easy to forget that Sting just played a European tour less than 3 weeks ago!!

u2fp
That was a different kind of tour though playing small theaters and clubs. But he did play places in Europe last year with a band.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #430
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

u2fp
The only reason the Foo Fighters got that opening slot was because they are good friends with Stewart and live in the area. They were not put on the bill to help sell tickets, otherwise they would be opening in Edmonton, Hartford or other places. When the prices are high, even popular opening acts have difficulty in helping the headlining band much. The Rolling Stones put Metallica on the bill for their two shows in the Oakland/San Francisco area and the shows still did not sellout. The Police have soldout their show there though, and could easily fill up another without the aid of an opening "name" artist.

The Foo Fighters are big name in rock circles, but they are unable to do a basic arena tour on their own. They are primarily a still a theater band at $30 to $40 dollar ticket prices. They did a co-headlining arena tour of about 20 shows in big cities with Weazer, but without Weazer they would still be playing the smaller venues, primarily theaters.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #431
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:58 AM
I'm now the proud owner of Police tickets for July 3rd in St. Paul!

Old 03-23-2007, 10:53 PM   #432
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

The only reason the Foo Fighters got that opening slot was because they are good friends with Stewart and live in the area. They were not put on the bill to help sell tickets, otherwise they would be opening in Edmonton, Hartford or other places. When the prices are high, even popular opening acts have difficulty in helping the headlining band much. The Rolling Stones put Metallica on the bill for their two shows in the Oakland/San Francisco area and the shows still did not sellout. The Police have soldout their show there though, and could easily fill up another without the aid of an opening "name" artist.

The Foo Fighters are big name in rock circles, but they are unable to do a basic arena tour on their own. They are primarily a still a theater band at $30 to $40 dollar ticket prices. They did a co-headlining arena tour of about 20 shows in big cities with Weazer, but without Weazer they would still be playing the smaller venues, primarily theaters.
Van Morrison was a last minute cancellation for the Stones Nov 2006 appearance in a Vancouver Stadium. 3 months later he came back to sell out an arena(12,000+) all by himself with tickets upwards of $150. I think it's fair to say that him being added to the Stones bill helped sell 10,000 extra tickets.

I actually put FF somewhere between an arena act and a theater act. They also played stadium sized places in the UK and Europe(?) a summer or two ago

u2fp
Old 03-24-2007, 04:07 PM   #433
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 04:58 AM
The tickets came in the mail yesterday .
Old 03-24-2007, 05:37 PM   #434
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Van Morrison was a last minute cancellation for the Stones Nov 2006 appearance in a Vancouver Stadium. 3 months later he came back to sell out an arena(12,000+) all by himself with tickets upwards of $150. I think it's fair to say that him being added to the Stones bill helped sell 10,000 extra tickets.

I actually put FF somewhere between an arena act and a theater act. They also played stadium sized places in the UK and Europe(?) a summer or two ago

u2fp
Well, a theater is much smaller than an arena. Your average theater is between 1,500 and 3,000 seats. Arena's have capacities between 14,000 and 20,000. The Foo Fighters would be unlikely to sellout ANY arena's in North America, on their own, because on average they were unable to sellout any arena's on their co-headlining tour with Weezer in 2005.

Here are the results of the Foo Fighters co-headlining tour with Weezer in 2005 in North America:

GROSS $9.1 million : ATTENDANCE 247,285 : Average Attendance 10,304 : Average ticket price $36.62 : Number of Shows 24

Essentially, the Foo Fighters were only able to sell a little more than half of the arena's available seats at a low ticket price of $36.62 with Weezer as a co-headliner. Without Weezer, its obvious average attendance would likely fall by 50% to about 5,000 putting the band in the theater(1,500-3,000) catagory. Obviously, they could do multiple theater shows in the big markets, but on their own as of 2005, that is indeed the right size venue for them.

I don't know what Venue's Foo Fighters played in Europe 2 years ago, but playing a stadium or festival ground with 6 other artist or 10 other artist certainly does not count.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #435
War Child

Local Time: 03:58 AM
Churchill Downs tickets went on sale today. I got a seat on the dirt track for $50! Over on the side (section D13), but still, not bad at all.